Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,760 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    agreed, however, having played here in the past and proximity to home could help sway his decision, on top of us having a competitive window opening up
    I think if the BoSox win it all this year he will have a ring and possibly give us a small discount to come home if possible.
    Forever Fredi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Here is what I think is likely to happen:

1) Re-sign Suzuki at about $5M/one year
    2) Re-sign Sanchez at about $5M/one year
    3) Sign Asdrubal Cabrera about $8M per year/2 years
    4) Trade Newcomb to the Diamondbacks for David Peralta.
    You've been beating the Peralta drum pretty hard, and I can't think of a better fit. I'm just not confident that Arizona will decide to tear it all down yet. Having Goldschmidt, Peralta, and Greinke could make them see a chance to contend if they are squinting hard enough.

Just for kicks, what do you think it would take to get Peralta and Greinke?
    Go get him!

Founding member of the Whiny Little Bitches and Pricks Club

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaw View Post
    You've been beating the Peralta drum pretty hard, and I can't think of a better fit. I'm just not confident that Arizona will decide to tear it all down yet. Having Goldschmidt, Peralta, and Greinke could make them see a chance to contend if they are squinting hard enough.

I think Arizona would have trouble moving Greinkes contract.
    Get off my lawn!

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    He along with Eduardo Escobar and Asdrubal Cabrera should be high on our free agent shopping list.
    I honestly think this is the route we'll go. Everyone wants to talk a big signing.

I think we'll sign a couple of versatile guys we can put in different line ups and make one big trade.

Personally I love Dansby and Ender. But I'd be looking to see if we can get Acuna in CF and some stud hitters, at least one LH, on either side of him. Not guys that can't play the field, but guys who can hit. I just don't know who those guys are. I still think one will be a trade and I am not sure Pollock is that guy with his injury history.

In a video game world I'd look hard at Moving Dansby and Ender. Ozzie to SS. That gives me options like Dozier or Comargo for 2B and Machado/Riley for 3B.

But I think it's going to be:
    1. Trade for a Markakis replacement
    2. Sign as LH hitting catcher
    3. Get Escobar and another such guy for mixing and matching
    4. Hope the young guys take the next step
    5. Spend some money in the pen

I hope I'm wrong.

By biggest fear is a giant Realmuto trade but I think it has a good shot of happening.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    I honestly think this is the route we'll go. Everyone wants to talk a big signing.

I think we'll sign a couple of versatile guys we can put in different line ups and make one big trade.

Personally I love Dansby and Ender. But I'd be looking to see if we can get Acuna in CF and some stud hitters, at least one LH, on either side of him. Not guys that can't play the field, but guys who can hit. I just don't know who those guys are. I still think one will be a trade and I am not sure Pollock is that guy with his injury history.

In a video game world I'd look hard at Moving Dansby and Ender. Ozzie to SS. That gives me options like Dozier or Comargo for 2B and Machado/Riley for 3B.

But I think it's going to be:
    1. Trade for a Markakis replacement
    2. Sign as LH hitting catcher
    3. Get Escobar and another such guy for mixing and matching
    4. Hope the young guys take the next step
    5. Spend some money in the pen

I hope I'm wrong.

By biggest fear is a giant Realmuto trade but I think it has a good shot of happening.
    Incremental improvement or arguably regresssion might not even secure the division.

If the big move is picking up Ass Dribble, Atlanta will be just as overmatched next year.

I don’t think accumulating 10% chances over time is really all that great a strategy.

That said, this is a pretty bad free agent market for Atlanta and the options for major improvement are not obvious.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,985 Posts
    Newk for Cabrera is an idea I could get behind, and I'm a big Newk fan.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Newk for Cabrera is an idea I could get behind, and I'm a big Newk fan.
    Miguel?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaw View Post

It is always interesting to look at things from the other team's perspective. The Diamondbacks have some challenges. Pollock and Corbin are both free agents. Those are both very big losses. Goldschmidt is a free agent after next year. And their farm system is weak.

Taijuan Walker presumably will be back next year. Don't know how much they can count on him and Shelby Miller. I think they will be in the market for a starting pitcher. But they aren't exactly swimming in spare outfielders. Even if they make a run at re-signing Pollock. They may not be our best trading partner.

Greinke's contract could have been a disaster for them, but he has aged well. Even so he has negative expected surplus value for the remaining three years of the contract. This means it would be cheaper to trade for him and Peralta than Peralta alone. But in reality that sort of trade would probably involve the Diamondbacks picking up some of Greinke's salary to enhance the return. It is an interesting idea. Greinke (plus 5M per year from the Diamondbacks) plus Peralta would probably cost as much as Peralta alone.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 10-09-2018 at 10:37 AM.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

9. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

Jaw (10-09-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    I want a real catcher. Flowers and Zuk are so bad at throwing out runners. Flowers isn't much of a hitter..at all. I hope the FO at least pursues an actual FT catcher, not just settle for those two again.

i think the FO could make a fairly big move, and i think they have to. they have the resources to do so. they should absolutely be trying to add at least one big impact player. going for more fringe players is going to leave the team in the same spot as this year.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,536 Posts
    Eddie Rosario is the most attractive corner outfield option for us. He would cost something along the lines of Newk and Touki. I also think his teammate Max Kepler is worth looking at. Would cost less.

We match up well with the Twins in the sense they need starting pitching.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,985 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    Miguel?
    Sorry that's supposed to say Peralta.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Eddie Rosario is the most attractive corner outfield option for us. He would cost something along the lines of Newk and Touki. I also think his teammate Max Kepler is worth looking at. Would cost less.

kepler has never really shown the ability to be more than a slightly below average hitter. he is only 25 tho. i do hope we aim higher.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,985 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    I want a real catcher. Flowers and Zuk are so bad at throwing out runners. Flowers isn't much of a hitter..at all. I hope the FO at least pursues an actual FT catcher, not just settle for those two again.

i think the FO could make a fairly big move, and i think they have to. they have the resources to do so. they should absolutely be trying to add at least one big impact player. going for more fringe players is going to leave the team in the same spot as this year.
    Throwing out runners is the least important thing a catcher can do.
    Last edited by Carp; 10-09-2018 at 11:30 AM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,127 Posts
    it is fairly likely that both Kimbrel and Grandal stay with their current clubs
    Unlike the Braves, the Dodgers have young catchers who could step in to share time with Hedges. They may be smart enough not to give Grandal $80M. If they sign Harper then Puig is suddenly an option.

Kimbrel makes zero sense for the Braves and isn't even worth discussing as a possibility.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,991 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Unlike the Braves, the Dodgers have young catchers who could step in to share time with Hedges. They may be smart enough not to give Grandal $80M. If they sign Harper then Puig is suddenly an option.

Kimbrel makes zero sense for the Braves and isn't even worth discussing as a possibility.
    Yet the FO will likely find a way to sign Kimbrel. Just being honest. Maybe AA will know when to back off.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    Incremental improvement or arguably regresssion might not even secure the division.

If the big move is picking up Ass Dribble, Atlanta will be just as overmatched next year.

I don’t think accumulating 10% chances over time is really all that great a strategy.

That said, this is a pretty bad free agent market for Atlanta and the options for major improvement are not obvious.
    I'd agree that we need to go big and take advantage of our opportunity.

I just don't think we'll land the big dogs.

I think it's interesting to think about how much do you pay for the middle tier of guys.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,127 Posts
    I have the Braves just shy of $80M for next year, and still needing a cOF, a catcher, and 2 bench players:

# Pos Player 2019 Salary
    1 C Flowers $4.00
    2 1B Freeman $21.00
    3 2B Albies $0.55
    4 3B Camargo $0.55
    5 SS Swanson $0.55
    6 LF Acuna $0.55
    7 CF Inciarte $5.00
    8 RF FA/Trade $0.00

9 SP1 Teheran $11.00
    10 SP2 Folty $5.00
    11 SP3 Gausman $8.00
    12 SP4 Newk $0.55
    13 SP5 Touki $0.55

14 BN1 Culberson $0.55
    15 BN2 Duvall $2.00
    16 BN3 Backup IF $0.00
    17 BN4 Backup OF $0.00
    18 BN5 Backup C $0.00

19 BP1 O'Day $8.00
    20 BP2 Viz $6.00
    21 BP3 Freeman $2.00
    22 BP4 Venters $2.00
    23 BP5 Minter $0.55
    24 BP6 Winkler $0.55
    25 BP7 Fried $0.55

Total $79.50

Freeman and Duvall are NT candidates, but that only gets the payroll down to $75M.

Nobody is taking Teheran, and will serve as the obligatory $10M veteran presence at the back of the rotation.

Assuming opening day payroll is around $120M for 2019, that's $40M-$45M to fill all those holes with playoff caliber talent.

The Braves are not signing Kimbrel, Machado or Harper. We will be lucky if they shop in the Grandal/Pollock aisle.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    239 Posts
    I actually wouldn't be so sure on Grandal staying with his club. LA might want to stay under the soft tax. I'm not sure what the number will be to get him though.
    Aggression with prospects is fine, but being stupid is not. There should be a way to find a happy medium between a Pirates like idea of being overly cautious with prospects and going stupidly fast with prospects.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts

Just looked up Kepler's year. It looks like he improved his defense dramatically. He also improved his BB rate and cut down on his K's while having the lowest BABIP of his young career.

Those are all very good signs. He could take that next step in 2019.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    I have the Braves just shy of $80M for next year, and still needing a cOF, a catcher, and 2 bench players:

# Pos Player 2019 Salary
    1 C Flowers $4.00
    2 1B Freeman $21.00
    3 2B Albies $0.55
    4 3B Camargo $0.55
    5 SS Swanson $0.55
    6 LF Acuna $0.55
    7 CF Inciarte $5.00
    8 RF FA/Trade $0.00

9 SP1 Teheran $11.00
    10 SP2 Folty $5.00
    11 SP3 Gausman $8.00
    12 SP4 Newk $0.55
    13 SP5 Touki $0.55

14 BN1 Culberson $0.55
    15 BN2 Duvall $2.00
    16 BN3 Backup IF $0.00
    17 BN4 Backup OF $0.00
    18 BN5 Backup C $0.00

19 BP1 O'Day $8.00
    20 BP2 Viz $6.00
    21 BP3 Freeman $2.00
    22 BP4 Venters $2.00
    23 BP5 Minter $0.55
    24 BP6 Winkler $0.55
    25 BP7 Fried $0.55

Total $79.50

Freeman and Duvall are NT candidates, but that only gets the payroll down to $75M.

Nobody is taking Teheran, and will serve as the obligatory $10M veteran presence at the back of the rotation.

Assuming opening day payroll is around $120M for 2019, that's $40M-$45M to fill all those holes with playoff caliber talent.

The Braves are not signing Kimbrel, Machado or Harper. We will be lucky if they shop in the Grandal/Pollock aisle.
    I disagree nobody is taking JT. He's not paid that much and has an option. AA is creative. Maybe we move our under performer for another team's position player under performer. I think if we really wanted the salary gone we could attach something we wouldn't miss.

I think we should leave 5 million unspent for the basically free deadline upgrades we saw this year.

I still think our biggest issue is that we have like 10 third starters and I don't think we'll sign a difference maker.