Results 1,561 to 1,580 of 11579

Thread: 2018 Offseason And Targets

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    The #SFGiants' 2019 promotional schedule includes giveaway items featuring Buster Posey, Evan Longoria, Brandon Crawford, Dereck Rodriguez, Pablo Sandoval, even alums Will Clark and Willie Mays.

No Madison Bumgarner item on the schedule, for what it's worth.

via twitter

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Heyward For This Useful Post:

Freshmaker (11-14-2018)

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Realmuto/Grandal/Ramos(maybe) and Cutch/Peralta/Brantley are approximately equally productive players capable of filling C and cOF for a contending team. I am confident AA has identified these guys (plus a few others we haven't thought of) as potential fits, and I'm going to assume he will go with the best value available.

I would be fine with either of the C/cOF solutions above with good value being the paramount concern. I see no reason to pay market price for one of those players if another is available at a better value. I will, however, be extremely disappointed if AA doesn't fill those 2 voids with players at least that caliber...anything less should be considered a failure by the FO.

The wildcard is whether or not AA wants to spend even more resources acquiring a "frontline starter". While I generally disagree with that tired cliche, I would be all for it if a team overvalues someone like Newk, Fried or Allard as a significant "win now" piece. I'm also probably the low man around these boards on both Riley and Pache, so I wouldn't be too upset to see them traded if another team over values them.

I'm also fairly confident that 1 significant trade will be made, so if AA signs a FA C and cOF, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see that trade being for someone like Paxton. I am firmly against signing either of the top FA SPs.
    Yeah this is basically the point I've been trying to make. All these players are approximately equal in terms of value so we should look for the cheapest acquisition cost possible. In my mind that consideration inevitably leads to Peralta and Grandal as the preferred option with Peralta and Ramos as the secondary option. The only variable for me is if a younger, more controllable corner outfielder appears on the trade market. If that happens, then you have to start weighing whether or not the control and upside are worth giving up bigger prospect hauls for. That is something I don't have an answer to.

Edit: I also agree that the "ToR SP" narrative is also a variable in this. I just keep crossing my fingers that AA isn't going to make a trade for a guy like that unless we are getting tremendous value.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanieAntics View Post
    Newk is difficult to put a value on, as has been discussed before, but I think that would be about right. It might be a little rich if you are a little higher on Newk, but overall I'd be comfortable with that price for both of those guys. I don't think it'd be my opening bid though. I think I'd start with something like Wilson and Allard (38 million) and work up to Newk and Wentz (Tough to say, but I'm gonna give them 55-65 million). I think they could probably find some middle ground in there somewhere.
    zero issue giving up newk for peralta and lamb. I'd rather keep Wentz.

we just have a lot of guys who I think can provide the 2-3 WAR we'll get from Newk. I wouldn't give him away but Peralta is a GREAT fit and it's not costing us a position player.

I'd try to go Newk and a throw in. I'd rather move Allard than Wentz, Wilson or Muller.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Geez I'd probably just go ahead and kms if the Braves did a trade like that. AA, I know you like the big trade, but please no. Not this one.
    Everytime somenone mentions a trade, you get mad inside, you dont wanna improve the team at all or not moving them for the right cost. Because fact is we cant keep everyone and our window wont be open forever.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    Everytime somenone mentions a trade, you get mad inside, you dont wanna improve the team at all or not moving them for the right cost. Because fact is we cant keep everyone and our window wont be open forever.
    No, I don't get mad at all. I criticize trades where we end up giving too much for a player at a position that I don't consider a true need. Do you honestly think that trading Touki, Pache, and Riley for Kluber would be beneficial for the Braves long term? Maybe you do. I disagree. I'm not going to attribute motive the same way that you are to me.

I definitely "want to improve the team" and I definitely "want to move guys at the right cost"... I just think our threshold for what the "right cost" or what the right acquisition may be is way off. I've been more than open to trading certain prospects for reasonable returns. I literally just posted a few minutes ago that I'd be cool with a Newk and Wentz trade for Peralta. I just don't blow my load over SPs when we its not an obvious need. I don't blow my load over Realmuto because I think Grandal would benefit the team more.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    No, I don't get mad at all. I criticize trades where we end up giving too much for a player at a position that I don't consider a true need. Do you honestly think that trading Touki, Pache, and Riley for Kluber would be beneficial for the Braves long term? Maybe you do. I disagree. I'm not going to attribute motive the same way that you are to me.

I definitely "want to improve the team" and I definitely "want to move guys at the right cost"... I just think our threshold for what the "right cost" or what the right acquisition may be is way off. I've been more than open to trading certain prospects for reasonable returns. I literally just posted a few minutes ago that I'd be cool with a Newk and Wentz trade for Peralta. I just don't blow my load over SPs when we its not an obvious need. I don't blow my load over Realmuto because I think Grandal would benefit the team more.
    Fair post. Umm no i would not trade Pache, Riley and Touki for Kluber, thats too much. And would be awful.

Newk and Wentz for Peralta i'd be fine with but not sure AZ accepts that. Regarding Grandal/Realmuto. With Contreras expected to be ready in a couple years, i dont know if it makes sense to sign Grandal to a 4-5 year deal. Would get Realmuto for 2 then Contreras replaces him but the cost for Realmuto would undoubtedly be alot.

I disagree that SP isnt a need but i wouldnt empty the farm for a trade unless the cost favored the Braves.

Creepy Lurking Stalker
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I would love to get J Pederson. Figure 5.5 war over the next two years at $13M gives a surplus value of $30M. The Dodgers had 5 players get significant time in the outfield this past season add in Verdugo and Pederson may be expendable. The Dodgers don't really need anything from us but they have a smart front office always looking for value. Thoughts on Pederson for Gohara. This is assuming the Dodgers value Gohara similar to fangraphs. We saw how much wood improved when he was trade from Atlanta maybe the same happens for Gohara.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Theduke81 View Post
    I would love to get J Pederson. Figure 5.5 war over the next two years at $13M gives a surplus value of $30M. The Dodgers had 5 players get significant time in the outfield this past season add in Verdugo and Pederson may be expendable. The Dodgers don't really need anything from us but they have a smart front office always looking for value. Thoughts on Pederson for Gohara. This is assuming the Dodgers value Gohara similar to fangraphs. We saw how much wood improved when he was trade from Atlanta maybe the same happens for Gohara.
    I would have interest in Pederson too. I expect the Dodgers to be in on Harper, so their willingness to trade him might depend on whether they land Harper.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    I would have interest in Pederson too. I expect the Dodgers to be in on Harper, so their willingness to trade him might depend on whether they land Harper.
    I also think Schwarber could become available for similar reasons. That is also something I would explore, although the cost would likely be greater than Pederson.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Yeah this is basically the point I've been trying to make. All these players are approximately equal in terms of value so we should look for the cheapest acquisition cost possible. In my mind that consideration inevitably leads to Peralta and Grandal as the preferred option with Peralta and Ramos as the secondary option. The only variable for me is if a younger, more controllable corner outfielder appears on the trade market. If that happens, then you have to start weighing whether or not the control and upside are worth giving up bigger prospect hauls for. That is something I don't have an answer to.

Edit: I also agree that the "ToR SP" narrative is also a variable in this. I just keep crossing my fingers that AA isn't going to make a trade for a guy like that unless we are getting tremendous value.
    This goes back to the point I'm trying to make as well though - IF you're not promising to spend those funds you'd save by upgrading the roster elsewhere rather than sitting on it for an in-season upgrade, I'd just as soon hang onto the prospects since you know no more what kind of step forward they may take between now and July than you know who might be available at that point. Given Wentz' first professional season, it's tough to say including him as a second piece in a deal might not be a huge mistake when all is said and done. You can make the argument that the ONLY reason he isn't currently a Top 75 prospect is the time he lost to injury last season. I'd sure hate to give up 6 years of a #2 and #3 SPs (if not possibly even two #2s) for 2 years worth of Peralta if he's not demonstrably better or less-risky than the guys you could simply throw money at when you actually have it to spend.

I'm absolutely fine with burning some of these prospects to upgrade the roster - just don't go halfway.
    Last edited by clvclv; 11-14-2018 at 08:24 PM.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Theduke81 View Post
    There's absolutely NO WAY I'd go there personally. I think way too many people are sleeping on the news that Luiz has dropped 35 pounds already. If there's one Pitcher in the stable of arms we've built that actually profiles as a homegrown Ace, Gohara is that guy.

Is it unlikely that he reaches his ceiling? Sure. But there's not another Pitcher in our system with a ceiling that high if things happen to somehow work out - including Wright and Anderson.

If they're trying to move Pederson to create space for Verdugo, offer them someone else (or a combination of lower ceiling arms) or make an offer for Verdugo. I like Pederson's pop as much as anyone, but I wouldn't give Gohara up for anyone I can't plug into the lineup regardless of who's on the mound.

If you're getting Verdugo instead, then I might talk about Gohara. An Acuna/Verdugo/Ender (eventually Pache) outfield would be an absolute dream for a LONG TIME.
    Last edited by clvclv; 11-14-2018 at 08:42 PM.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    I’m just saying there is something off about nitpicking the value of Kluber while handwringing over Joey wentz.

There is a place in the middle that makes sense for everyone.

Outskirts Of Mobile, Alabama. Roll Tide!!!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,775 Posts
    Seeing Twitter rumors the A’s are interested in a reunion with Kurt Suzuki.
    Chopping With The Braves And Rolling With The Tide

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonCowboy View Post
    Saw that. Would be a good pick-up for them.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonCowboy View Post
    On a side note, the A's look desperate for pitching. Manea and Pulk are both out for the season. They don't have one starting pitcher on their roster who made 10 starts or more last year. (Triggs and Fiers had 9)

They would be a team I'd be talking to if I were AA.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chico View Post
    On a side note, the A's look desperate for pitching. Manea and Pulk are both out for the season. They don't have one starting pitcher on their roster who made 10 starts or more last year. (Triggs and Fiers had 9)

They would be a team I'd be talking to if I were AA.
    I think a team like Oakland would give more for Julio than most others, tbh.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Did you guys see the reddit post about the Pads... https://www.reddit.com/r/Braves/comm...hat_no_one_is/

It was the most intelligent thing I think I have read over there. It made me think about how we match up with the Friars. They will have to dump guys or trade guys. Hedges was intriguing..

maybe some of you nerds want to play Friars GM. Oh and if you Mississippi folks want to join in, the stats on tape is over next to "how to court your mom", "home dentistry", and "10 reasons you don't run your Saturn on backyard moonshine...on tape"...
    Coppy

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    Did you guys see the reddit post about the Pads... https://www.reddit.com/r/Braves/comm...hat_no_one_is/

It was the most intelligent thing I think I have read over there. It made me think about how we match up with the Friars. They will have to dump guys or trade guys. Hedges was intriguing..

maybe some of you nerds want to play Friars GM. Oh and if you Mississippi folks want to join in, the stats on tape is over next to "how to court your mom", "home dentistry", and "10 reasons you don't run your Saturn on backyard moonshine...on tape"...
    Hedges looks like a good pitch framer and could be another "late bloom" type. I'd definitely be interested.
    Also be interested in Renfroe. Improved his K and BB rates from 2017 while also improving his ISO.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts

who would be their catcher if they traded Hedges
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts

Lol that was one of my back and forths over at reddit. Usmlucky

And believe it or not, I'm one of them there Mississippi folk. I learnt reddit when we had internets day at the county fair. I learnt a lot that day. I found some vidya tapes that get my sister real swampy before its family fun time.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to BeanieAntics For This Useful Post:

bravesfanMatt (11-15-2018)