Results 3,181 to 3,200 of 11579

Thread: 2018 Offseason And Targets

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    Bowman says nothing has changed, we have not had any discussions regarding Keuchel
    Someone is lying.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    I still think Gray is more realistic for the Braves because he will earn approximately as much as Paxton wound have earned. The Yankees also line up well with the Braves for an expanded deal as well.

No thanks to Gray unless he is essentially free in terms of prospect value.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,488 Posts
    Per Heyman: "Braves are also one of many to have checked in on Happ and a trade for Indians starters Kluber and Bauer. Keuchel is on their radar and they'd love him, though they are not currently engaged with him as they are value hunting and presumably figure he will cost (and take awhile).
    Get off my lawn!

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,488 Posts
    Per Morosi: "Tigers OF Nick Castellanos is drawing trade interest. #Braves are among the teams that have checked in. Castellanos, 26, is coming off a career offensive year and is an alternative to Brantey and Pollock via free agency"
    Get off my lawn!

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Bowman says nothing has changed, we have not had any discussions regarding Keuchel...

DoB backs that up saying we are more likely to trade for a frontline starter than make a strong run at Keuchel. Says we do not want to go long term on a starter
    AA does not like the long term contracts in free agency. He's said that many times dating back to his time in Toronto.

I do think he wants the veteran mentor type, but I think trade is more likely.

If we could swing it I think Bauer makes the most sense.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Per Morosi: "Tigers OF Nick Castellanos is drawing trade interest. #Braves are among the teams that have checked in. Castellanos, 26, is coming off a career offensive year and is an alternative to Brantey and Pollock via free agency"
    BS. I doubt we have. AA has stressed defense too much to go after Castellanos.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,488 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chico View Post
    AA does not like the long term contracts in free agency. He's said that many times dating back to his time in Toronto.

I do think he wants the veteran mentor type, but I think trade is more likely.

If we could swing it I think Bauer makes the most sense.
    Bauer has a lot of talent and some control, however, I do not want to give anything significant for him. This is based more on my personal preference after seeing his interviews on MLBNetwork...prefers to go on year by year contract to maximize yearly AAV. No particular loyalty to an organization.

Again, he has talent and ability so this is my personal preference...sign me up for Kluber
    Get off my lawn!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,041 Posts
    Bauer is my number one choice for a starter. Much more upside than someone like Keuchel.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Bauer has a lot of talent and some control, however, I do not want to give anything significant for him. This is based more on my personal preference after seeing his interviews on MLBNetwork...prefers to go on year by year contract to maximize yearly AAV. No particular loyalty to an organization.

Again, he has talent and ability so this is my personal preference...sign me up for Kluber
    And why is that a problem? Why would we want to commit numerous years and dollars to a guy who plays the most volatile position in baseball? We'd have a couple years of control over him anyway, so its not likely to matter much anyway.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts

Haha. Any pitcher dumb enough to put the risk of injury on himself is the best pitcher to sign. Give me Bauer on 3 one year deals everyday of the week versus a three year deal.
    Coppy

11. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

DirkPiggler (12-10-2018)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    unfortunately, i think julio is either worse than those guys or has less bounce-back upside. maybe he's more valuable than nova. but i doubt gennett gets traded for nova or julio without a nice prospect added. gennett just had a 4.5 WAR season.
    Wouldn't think many would argue that, but with Cincy apparently looking for multiple arms those types of vets make sense so they'd have the money to spend big on the other arm (Keuchel or whomever).

Heyman now says we've also checked in on Happ. Would love to know where he's getting his info. Would imagine AA has "checked in" on everybody, but most of it is likely just due diligence.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Sources: Corey Kluber trade talks have intensified. #Dodgers are among the teams involved. @MLBNetwork @MLB

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,488 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanieAntics View Post
    And why is that a problem? Why would we want to commit numerous years and dollars to a guy who plays the most volatile position in baseball? We'd have a couple years of control over him anyway, so its not likely to matter much anyway.
    He mentioned that he would rather go organization to organization. Meaning that at this point, we would have to give up good talent to get him for his remaining 2 or 3 years, then he would be gone. Of course, Kluber has 3 years left (including his options) and would probably be gone.

But he seems more of what the Braves need than Bauer.
    Get off my lawn!

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Have mentioned Castellanos several times, and not real sure why people think he makes "no sense".

AA's mainly looking for a bat for a corner OF spot. If they really are going to start giving Riley reps in LF with an eye towards potentially re-signing Donaldson if he proves healthy, just about ANYONE on a one-year deal (two at the longest) makes sense - and he'd like the best bat available from that group. Pretty tough for teams to ask for the moon for a rental right now - would probably be easier for the Dodgers or D-Backs to get a better return for Peralta or Pederson than the Tigers could hope to get for Castellanos.
    Last edited by clvclv; 12-10-2018 at 01:07 PM.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Have mentioned Castellanos several times, and not real sure why people think he makes "no sense".

AA's mainly looking for a bat for a corner OF spot. If they really are going to start giving Riley reps in LF with an eye towards potentially re-signing Donaldson if he proves healthy, just about ANYONE on a one-year deal (two at the longest) makes sense - and he'd like the best bat available from that group. Pretty tough for teams to ask for the moon for a rental right now - would probably be easier for the Dodgers or D-Backs to get a better return for Peralta or Pederson than the Tigers could hope to get for Castellanos.
    He doesn't make sense because he's a butcher in the field and AA has said numerous times he values defense.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chico For This Useful Post:

BeanieAntics (12-10-2018), Super (12-10-2018)

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chico View Post
    He doesn't make sense because he's a butcher in the field and AA has said numerous times he values defense.
    I've seen people say that since we have Ender and Acuna out there to cover a lot of ground, we can afford to take the hit defensively. I think that is foolish. We've seen first hand how awful defense can cost you and I wouldn't be willing to sacrifice THAT much defense for a good bat. Give me the slightly lesser bat with better defense every time.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,488 Posts
    Per Joel Sherman: "Hear #Marlins have slightly lowered return request on Realmuto since end of the season. Outside execs say they perceive Mia knows have to deal him but after getting not enough last year, esp for Yelich, gunshy to go quickly and undersell."
    Get off my lawn!

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    I've seen people say that since we have Ender and Acuna out there to cover a lot of ground, we can afford to take the hit defensively. I think that is foolish. We've seen first hand how awful defense can cost you and I wouldn't be willing to sacrifice THAT much defense for a good bat. Give me the slightly lesser bat with better defense every time.
    Tell me which player was which defensively in a corner in 2018 without looking...

A.) 5 DRS, 0.8 UZR/150

B.) 4 DRS, 3.0 UZR/150

C.) -3 DRS, 1.1 UZR/150

D.) 2 DRS, -0.5 UZR/150

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    I do think OF defense is a little less important than IF defense if you're correctly utilizing data for positioning as we seem to be doing, but Castellanos is dreadful. Positioning is not going to help him much.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UNCBlue012 View Post
    Sources: Corey Kluber trade talks have intensified. #Dodgers are among the teams involved. @MLBNetwork @MLB
    Indians are looking for outfielders and also looking to restock their farm system. The Dodgers are in a position to help them with both.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."