Thread: 2018 Offseason And Targets

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Seriously though, I don't wanna go all in this season. I wanna give our young guys another year to progress.
    Not saying i'd gut the farm and make 3-4 trades but i'd make a big trade for a controllable guy, Haniger is the popular name but im not sure what a trade package would look like.

But if you hold onto guys, their value drops and they arent as valuable in a trade. So it goes both ways.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,675 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    And I am fine with letting things play out one more year. But it becomes easy to get into that mindset.

Well maybe we need to wait one more year to see if this guy develops. Or this guy. In the mean time we are losing value on others.
    What would we have to trade to have a legit shot at taking down the dodgers? Probably a hell of a lot of future

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    What would we have to trade to have a legit shot at taking down the dodgers? Probably a hell of a lot of future
    Nah. I think we are close. I wouldn’t mind getting a good rental RF. Would be cheaper than a guy like Haniger since he seems way to high. But still gives us a better overall team
    Coppy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,675 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    Nah. I think we are close. I wouldn’t mind getting a good rental RF. Would be cheaper than a guy like Haniger since he seems way to high. But still gives us a better overall team
    With the dodgers adding Harper?

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Yes. I still think Donaldson will be a huge boost in our offense. And if we get another big bat (puig, or some other one year rental) then we are going to be really good. Homer in me I guess. I also predict that JT will be good. So maybe that explains my mindset.
    Coppy

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    It seems like we are trying to get the best deal instead of the best player. That concerns me with our division. If you have 3 90 win takent teams we might beat each other up and out of the playoffs. We might not be a 90 win team with cargo and comargo in of.

Also seems like they are balking at going more than two years.

Is that bc they anticipate extensions then? It’s not like we have position prospects banging down the door.
    It's because they don't want to have 15% of the payroll tied up in a sub-replacement level player as Acuna, Albies, etc hit their prime. They aren't anywhere close to the point where they go all in on a one or two year window.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    The drawback is that at any given time other people in your league or division could be going all in and you will be at a disadvantage in any given year of winning big.

The Braves may well not be a projected playoff team next year, for example.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    If we can move Teheran as part of a deal to get an outfielder on a low salary, we would have room to add Happ.

For example Teheran plus Fried to the Twins for Kepler.

Sign Happ (2 year deal with vesting third year is probably what it would take...AAV of about 16M)

Sign Anibal one-year deal at 5M

The salaries of Happ, Anibal and Kepler would be about 23M

We save 11M by moving Teheran, so the net addition is 12M. Leaves us some funds to get a reliever.

Our rotation is Folty, Happ, Newk, Suarez and one of Touki, Soroka and Gohara. We have a good group of near-major league ready starters in AAA (Wright, Wilson, Allard in addition to two of the ones competing for the final spot in the rotation).
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,675 Posts
    How much stock can you put in depth charts and steamer? If you trust them, I'd rather pay Brantley (projected 2.6) than sell the required prospects for haniger (projected 2.9/3.0)

NL Rookie of the Year CrazyTrain's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    191 Posts
    Seriously though, I don't wanna go all in this season. I wanna give our young guys another year to progress.
    Who said we needed to "go all in"? We really just need to fill our empty cOF slot and make some rotation upgrades to be as competitive as we realistically can be given our salary/ownership constraints.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    If we can move Teheran as part of a deal to get an outfielder on a low salary, we would have room to add Happ.

For example Teheran plus Fried to the Twins for Kepler.

Sign Happ (2 year deal with vesting third year is probably what it would take...AAV of about 16M)

Sign Anibal one-year deal at 5M

The salaries of Happ, Anibal and Kepler would be about 23M

We save 11M by moving Teheran, so the net addition is 12M. Leaves us some funds to get a reliever.

Our rotation is Folty, Happ, Newk, Suarez and one of Touki, Soroka and Gohara. We have a good group of near-major league ready starters in AAA (Wright, Wilson, Allard in addition to two of the ones competing for the final spot in the rotation).

So what's the deal with Kepler? It's odd to target someone that has been a below average hitter his whole career. Do you expect a breakout or something? Not a natural choice to play every day and think you've upgraded the team. I put him up there with Ian Happ as an acquisition that doesn't move the needle very much. I like your Peralta suggestions better.

Shedding a portion of Teheran's salary seems like an obvious thing for the team to do. They certainly do not need him, particularly if they are signing any free agent pitcher as they seem to be looking at doing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,675 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyTrain View Post
    Who said we needed to "go all in"? We really just need to fill our empty cOF slot and make some rotation upgrades to be as competitive as we realistically can be given our salary/ownership constraints.
    Trading guys like Pache, Riley, and top pitching prospects is pretty close to "all in" in my eyes. If we make a move like that, I prefer it at the deadline. I've emailed AA with my concerns... we're having a meeting next week

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    How much stock can you put in depth charts and steamer? If you trust them, I'd rather pay Brantley (projected 2.6) than sell the required prospects for haniger (projected 2.9/3.0)
    Something like Wright, Weigel, Wentz, or Bryse Wilson, Izzy Wilson, Webb or something toolsy. If it got pricier than that, pass.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    With the exception of Game 1, we played the Dodgers pretty competitively despite being at a big disadvantage.

But i dont think the Braves can keep both of Pache/Waters.

They cant keep all of Touki, Soroka, Anderson, Wright, Wilson, Gohara, Allard, Fried, Wentz, Muller, etc. Gotta use some in trades to improve the big league team.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    191 Posts
    I would, too. I'd like to use prospect capital to upgrade the rotation and use $$ for the open cOF slot.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Trading guys like Pache, Riley, and top pitching prospects is pretty close to "all in" in my eyes. If we make a move like that, I prefer it at the deadline. I've emailed AA with my concerns... we're having a meeting next week
    Pache, one of our top 4 pitching prospects, an Allard/Wilson/Fried type and Ynoa or something would about what it could take for Haniger. I'd do that honestly, Haniger replaces Pache, and we got plenty of pitching even losing 2 of our big ones.

Fans really overrate prospects lol.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    Pache, one of our top 4 pitching prospects, an Allard/Wilson/Fried type and Ynoa or something would about what it could take for Haniger. I'd do that honestly, Haniger replaces Pache, and we got plenty of pitching even losing 2 of our big ones.

Agreed. With Haniger's upside, it's more than worth a haul.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,675 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post

Yep. We built this team with FAs, not prospects, right?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    191 Posts
    I don't really want to deal our positional guys since we don't have much quality depth in that department, but we need to move some of stockpiled arms. Dealing 2-3 from our top 15 pitchers won't really make much of a dent in the grand scheme of things.... especially if we can get comp picks.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,974 Posts
    I would also be ok with waiting a year to make a huge trade. This time next year, Matt Chapman might be available if the A's start another mini-rebuild like they seem to do every 4-5 years. Or the Rays might make Blake Snell available. Never know what type of trade will be available. Haniger is number 1 on my list right now, but if he isn't realistically available, make a lesser trade and save your chips for next winter.