Results 4,161 to 4,180 of 11579

Thread: 2018 Offseason And Targets

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyTrain View Post
    You mean like dealing Syndergaard for Dickey?
    Not defending the trade, but when you check the scoreboard it says...

Dickey - 1
    Syndergaard - 0

Until Syndergaard stays healthy enough to contend for a Cy Young, the dude without a UCL is probably happier with his hardware than the dude with the pretty hair. For now, Thor might as well be Strasburg.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    I think we trade for Haniger or JT remo. If we get JT then I think we land peralta.
    Coppy

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    If we land JT then I could see a Neck deal working. Good OBP guy and lefty to balance lineup. I still hope for more than Neck but it could work for the short term. Duvall would still be there as a platoon partner for Ender and neck worse case
    The only problem with this is - where and when are you ever going to play Camargo?

AA's stated plan is to turn Johan into the Braves' version of Marwin. If he's only going to play when Ozzie, Dansby, and Donaldson get a breather, he's simply not going to get enough ABs to be as effective as he can be. If they're not going to play him on the grass too so that he'll get 400-450 ABs, you might as well trade him while his value is high. I'm not particularly interested in trading him either, but if you're not going to find some way to get him into the lineup at least 4-5 days a week use him to get you a full-time player.

Call Cashman and offer Johan for Frazier straight-up. Bet he takes it. If you want Gray too, offer him Camargo and Wilson for both of them. Then go sign Gonzalez to replace him and you haven't lost anything while getting the SP "upgrade", the full-time LF, and have still upgraded the bench (just with Gonzalez rather than Camargo). That would still leave you with Riley and all the other arms if AA still wants Realmuto.

I agree we need to upgrade the bench, but not at the expense of having a Markakis/Duvall platoon on a corner.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hulavol View Post
    Good point about Haniger and age. Didn’t think about it that way. But their fan base would be pissed ...
    The casual fans probably would be, but if they got a great return for him I think most fans would be fine with it. I think most people are reasonable enough to know that wasting a valuable asset on a rebuilding team is usually a bad idea, especially when they are older like Haniger.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanieAntics View Post
    Why would rebuild mode preclude them from dealing Haniger? He's a very very valuable guy who is about to turn 28 years old. By the time they are out of a rebuild, he'll be exiting his prime. Of all the things I've heard this offseason, the M's insistence on keeping and building around Haniger might be one of the weirdest and dumbest. They should do everything in their power to get maximum value for him.

I'm not saying we should be the team to pony up, but holding on to Haniger long term is a bad idea.
    Freddie Freeman says hi.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Not defending the trade, but when you check the scoreboard it says...

Dickey - 1
    Syndergaard - 0

Until Syndergaard stays healthy enough to contend for a Cy Young, the dude without a UCL is probably happier with his hardware than the dude with the pretty hair. For now, Thor might as well be Strasburg.
    RA Dickey produced 6.3 fWAR while with the Blue Jays over 4 years. That really isn't that bad for a pitcher his age. But Thor has produced 15 fWAR in 4 years with the Mets, even while missing significant time with injury. And Syndergaard has an injury problem, but it isn't a catastrophic one or anything. He's thrown at least 150 innings in 3 of his 4 seasons in the MLB.

The Mets unequivocally won that trade.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    Freddie Freeman says hi.
    Frddie Freeman was 24 and entering his Prime when we started the rebuild. He was going to be 28-29 whem our window was going to open. So it never made sense to trade him unless we were getting back a substantial overpay. And was signed to a contract that, while below market value, wasn't exactly adding value either, so getting appropriate value for his production likely wasn't happening. In what world is that comparable?
    Last edited by Carp; 12-16-2018 at 02:08 PM.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Freddie Freeman says hi.
    I would have been fine with us trading Freeman at the outset of our rebuild. But comparing him to Haniger is apples and oranges. Haniger is about to turn 28 while Freeman was about to turn 25 when we first began the rebuild. It was perfectly reasonable to assume that Freddie would still be in his prime by the time we were competitive again. With Haniger, I'd say that is a big stretch.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Freddie Freeman says hi.
    Freddie was. 25 and just signed for 6 years. Not even close to the same.
    Coppy

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Well I think we covered the FF thing thoroughly.
    Coppy

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    The only problem with this is - where and when are you ever going to play Camargo?

AA's stated plan is to turn Johan into the Braves' version of Marwin. If he's only going to play when Ozzie, Dansby, and Donaldson get a breather, he's simply not going to get enough ABs to be as effective as he can be. If they're not going to play him on the grass too so that he'll get 400-450 ABs, you might as well trade him while his value is high. I'm not particularly interested in trading him either, but if you're not going to find some way to get him into the lineup at least 4-5 days a week use him to get you a full-time player.

Call Cashman and offer Johan for Frazier straight-up. Bet he takes it. If you want Gray too, offer him Camargo and Wilson for both of them. Then go sign Gonzalez to replace him and you haven't lost anything while getting the SP "upgrade", the full-time LF, and have still upgraded the bench (just with Gonzalez rather than Camargo). That would still leave you with Riley and all the other arms if AA still wants Realmuto.

I agree we need to upgrade the bench, but not at the expense of having a Markakis/Duvall platoon on a corner.
    Not sure how neck prevents Jogun from getting playing time. In fact I would think it might help him get more time. Jogun would /could platoon versus a tough lefty. All that said I don’t think we land neck. Just that I could see that as a fall back if peralta can’t be had or Brantley is too expensive.
    Coppy

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts

This is all silliness. If the Dodgers can find a way to get both Kike Hernandez and Chris Taylor over 400 at bats, then we can find a way to get that many for Camargo. Here are all the scenarios in which we might want to use Camargo:

-Start against RHP in the infield for Dansby/Ozzie/Donaldson (Perhaps on a rotation)
    -Start against LHP in the outfield for Ender/LHH OF acquisition
    -Injury
    -Pinch Hitting
    -Starters need Rest
    -Starter goes on cold streak

There are probably others too. We could easily get Camargo 3-4 starts a week just by using him to exploit platoon matchups, since he is probably better against RHP than Ozzie and Dansby and we KNOW he is better against LHP than Ender (probably a LHH OF acquisition too). The rest of those at bats can be filled through pinch hitting, injury subs, rest subs, cold streak subs... The dude is going to get plenty of at bats.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Ok. I think we covered the Jogun thing thoroughly.
    Coppy

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts

I didn't even read the second part of this, but there is approximately a 0% chance that I offer Camargo for Clint Frazier straight up. I'm not trading a 3 win utility player with 5 years of control for an outfielder that has produced -0.4 wins during his first two seasons. Frazier might be a good upside play, but Camargo has too much value to sell him for a huge gamble. Hell, I wouldn't take it if they offered me Gray and Frazier for just Camargo.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Not sure how neck prevents Jogun from getting playing time. In fact I would think it might help him get more time. Jogun would /could platoon versus a tough lefty. All that said I don’t think we land neck. Just that I could see that as a fall back if peralta can’t be had or Brantley is too expensive.
    I'm kind of hoping that we go get Joc if the Dodgers get Harper or if they look to move an outfielder. I think Camargo and Duvall would line up really well with an outfield of Acuna/Ender/Joc. We'd be getting elite defense from one spot every game and getting an .800+ OPS against either LHP or RHP from the other two spots every game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    Freddie Freeman says hi.
    Apples and oranges say hi...

High School Draftee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    Apples and oranges say hi...
    LOL so true. Situations aren’t comparable.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanieAntics View Post
    I'm kind of hoping that we go get Joc if the Dodgers get Harper or if they look to move an outfielder. I think Camargo and Duvall would line up really well with an outfield of Acuna/Ender/Joc. We'd be getting elite defense from one spot every game and getting an .800+ OPS against either LHP or RHP from the other two spots every game.
    Would be an acceptable alternative. If we get JT I think we need a LHH cOF and to trade flowers. I think Joc is one of probably 3-4 acceptable choices.
    Coppy

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Well I think we covered the FF thing thoroughly.
    Did someone say Freeman?

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Horsehide Harry For This Useful Post:

bravesfanMatt (12-16-2018)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsehide Harry View Post
    Did someone say Freeman?
    Will never get old
    Coppy