Page 313 of 579 FirstFirst ... 213263303311312313314315323363413 ... LastLast
Results 6,241 to 6,260 of 11579

Thread: 2018 Offseason And Targets

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Rumors aren’t going to be good for the braves.

This office doesn’t leak so the media won’t help them.

This strategy of waiting everyone out until they run out of other options is not going to make friends with agents. Corporate ownership is not going to be a friend of agents.

I hope it works out for us. I expect to get a great dollar per win deal. What I wanted at the start of the off-season was a priority on getting better over value. I don’t see that. Hope I’m wrong.

We will fill stuff. But right now it feels like a less than 10 million per signing and a trade I’ll hate for a catcher

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post
    Hanover is their Freddie, except he really IS on the cheap.

Marlin’s are idiots.
    we've gone over a few times how the situations aren't that similar.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    Rumors aren’t going to be good for the braves.

This office doesn’t leak so the media won’t help them.

This strategy of waiting everyone out until they run out of other options is not going to make friends with agents. Corporate ownership is not going to be a friend of agents.

I hope it works out for us. I expect to get a great dollar per win deal. What I wanted at the start of the off-season was a priority on getting better over value. I don’t see that. Hope I’m wrong.

We will fill stuff. But right now it feels like a less than 10 million per signing and a trade I’ll hate for a catcher
    Wait why are gm’s and agent going to hate the braves if every team passes on a free agent or trade? If we scoop up pollock on the cheap or JTR at good value is that our fault or the other teams that could have signed/traded for him fault too. Your worry makes no sense to me.
    Coppy

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    we've gone over a few times how the situations aren't that similar.
    Saying he is their FF is not wrong. He is their guy they want to build around. They think they can compete again in 2 years. That part can be debated. It is risky. But if haniger posts another 5-6 war season and it still looks like Seattle is a few years away, they should be able to trade him for a good haul. He will have less control but more established. Probably balance itself out.
    Coppy

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    Saying he is their FF is not wrong. He is their guy they want to build around. They think they can compete again in 2 years. That part can be debated. It is risky. But if haniger posts another 5-6 war season and it still looks like Seattle is a few years away, they should be able to trade him for a good haul. He will have less control but more established. Probably balance itself out.
    he's already in his late 20s. seattle won't be good in 2 years with their farm, but even if they are, he's now 30. that wasn't the situation at all with freddie. if we're saying he's like freddie as in he's their best player, then sure.
    they can already get a haul for him. chances he puts up a 5-6 WAR season aren't very good. probably less likely than a 2-3 win season and/or getting hurt.
    but i just don't think it's smart for them to keep him. i don't see the end game for them with it. but that's just me
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Haniger is a guy it might be easier for the Mariners to trade when he has less control.

Trying to find a team willing to part with a prospect haul lining up with four years of control at his last two seasons level of production may not be possible.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    he's already in his late 20s. seattle won't be good in 2 years with their farm, but even if they are, he's now 30. that wasn't the situation at all with freddie. if we're saying he's like freddie as in he's their best player, then sure.
    they can already get a haul for him. chances he puts up a 5-6 WAR season aren't very good. probably less likely than a 2-3 win season and/or getting hurt.
    but i just don't think it's smart for them to keep him. i don't see the end game for them with it. but that's just me
    I think people have begun to believe, as a consequence of the tanking strategies, that you need more talent rising internally than you really do. There are other ways to skin that cat, particularly if you have some resources.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    I think people have begun to believe, as a consequence of the tanking strategies, that you need more talent rising internally than you really do. There are other ways to skin that cat, particularly if you have some resources.
    They have also built a top heavy average farm system that will produce good players over the next two years. There is a scenario where they could compete but they need luck and it won’t be a very long window. I personally don’t like their approach. It could really back fire and set them up for a very long rebuild. Especially if they don’t recognize quickly.
    Coppy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    It's your premises that I disagree with.

I do think the Braves have the finances to get better. Their payroll figures to be in the 125-130m range with perhaps some room on the other end.

I don't think they are in a position where they have to overpay with prospects or other assets to fill major holes.

they've studiously avoided doing that and there is no reason to think that the prices they are willing to pay are going up now rather than down as the market thins.

In my opinion they could go into the season with what they have and maybe another bench OF and reasonably expect to stay in the playoff race through the summer when non-contenders will begin contemplating the repair that has crept into their hearts.

There is no urgency to do anything. And if they fall out, they can always sell, which wouldn't be the worst thing in the world if that is what it came to either.
    I think any sort of strategic plan for the Braves has to start from realistic premises. They are not like the Astros, whose ownership is willing to countenance much larger swings in payrolls. Under current ownership, the Braves take a more steady approach. The last 8 years the opening day payrolls have been: 91M, 94, 90, 112, 97, 87, 123, 118.

For the Astros it has been: 77, 61, 26, 50, 72, 97, 124, 160. They have had two ownership groups in this period. Even so, comparing them to the Braves I think we can see there is just a very different philosophy, partly due to the Braves having a corporate owner.

So regardless of whether you think the Astros way is better or not, it is a bit of a useless exercise to argue from the premise that the Braves have at their disposal the option of adopting the Astros way of doing budgets.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    They have also built a top heavy average farm system that will produce good players over the next two years. There is a scenario where they could compete but they need luck and it won’t be a very long window. I personally don’t like their approach. It could really back fire and set them up for a very long rebuild. Especially if they don’t recognize quickly.
    I agree. Thats why if I would trade any pitching it would be Folty. Only 3 years of team control left and I think he is at peak value. Even if he gets better he will have less team control and the risk of injury/regression is always high with pitchers.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Sign me up for Marwin - at less than the $18 million, obviously. Give him 3/$30 million, pull the trigger on the Realmuto deal, and let's go to Dark Star.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,477 Posts
    AA did a chat thing with A-list season ticket holders today. Some notes from Twitter (I can't figure out how to embed tweets here, so here's the link:https://twitter.com/iliketheBraves/s...88563828801539)

- he doesn't give scoops to media and instills fear of god into his staff
    - working on a trade that's 70% done, add-on players need to be worked out
    - Offense/OF remains priority
    - prices dropping on RPs
    - if we add a SP it'd have to be someone better than Soroka/Touki/Fried
    - catcher not viewed as a hole, wouldn't address Realmuto specifically but alluded to not shutting door there while not willing to overpay
    - Kimbrel unlikely, big RP contracts not a fit for our payroll
    - he was for Jansen $80M deal in LA but that was a $200M payroll. Mentioned WAS offered $85M
    - loves what BMac brings to clubhouse, even better than advertised already working w/ young guys
    - would like to get more deals done for young guys pre-arb but increasingly difficult

Obviously 70% done on a trade is the biggest news. Not really sure if he's being honest with that or not, but interesting either way.

13. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to CJ9 For This Useful Post:

bravesfanMatt (01-15-2019), Freshmaker (01-15-2019), Garmel (01-15-2019), Super (01-15-2019), TheRunningAgent (01-15-2019), UNCBlue012 (01-15-2019)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Great stuff CJ. Big thanks.
    Coppy

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    What potential trade target other than JTR is substantial enough to be talking about “add on players”?

Haniger and....?

Would a deal for Peralta be big enough to warrant that?

A deal for Gray? Gray plus Frazier?

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    What potential trade target other than JTR is substantial enough to be talking about “add on players”?

Haniger and....?

Yeah I was thinking the same. That 70% carrot is tempting.
    Coppy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post

Haniger and....?

Hearing 70% done is so annoying. lol It's pretty much there but COULD fall apart. Damn you, AA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    I wouldn’t think a Gray deal wouldn’t be that difficult so it sounds like a bigger name to me. If he is 70% done then I’m gonna guess it’s JTR.
    Last edited by Hudson2; 01-15-2019 at 11:22 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ9 View Post
    - prices dropping on RPs
    - if we add a SP it'd have to be someone better than Soroka/Touki/Fried
    - Kimbrel unlikely, big RP contracts not a fit for our payroll
    These three items are of interest to me. We are obviously shopping in the discount aisle for a reliever. I think we might bring back Brach or sign Cody Allen on a one-year deal as a bounce back candidate. Obviously it won't cost much. Mostly it will be a move to improve depth. Most likely it will be a righty since we have Venters, Biddle, Freeman and Minty Hippo from the left side.

With respect to starting pitching, I agree. Unless it is an improvement of the caliber of someone like Kluber or Bauer I'd rather go with what we have in house.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    I wouldn’t think a Gray deal wouldn’t be that difficult so it sounds like a bigger name to me. If he is 70% done then I’m gonna guess it’s JTR.
    I also wouldn’t say Gray is better than Touki or Soroka.
    Coppy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    I also wouldn’t say Gray is better than Touki or Soroka.
    Me either. It’s something bigger no doubt.