Page 22 of 579 FirstFirst ... 1220212223243272122522 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 Offseason And Targets

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ixiXSolidXixi View Post
    I am not speaking about no one in specific Mr. Smart i am speaking about people here speaking about Grandal when you and everyone know what’s going to happen. Any way I respect you opinion when you talk about Braves budget and you speak like you work for the Braves when everyone know you are just another fan.
    Can someone translate this?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,487 Posts
    Not going to happen but i'd like to see

Trade for Peralta
    Sign Donaldson 1 yr/ $18m
    Sign Ramos 3yr/$33m maybe with 4th year option
    Trade Teheran for whoever takes the most of his contract.
    Sign solid reliever for the pen

Inciarte CF
    Acuna LF
    Freeman 1B
    Donaldson 3B
    Peralta RF
    Ramos C
    Albies 2B
    Swanson SS

That would be a formidable line up...Acuna and Freeman would see more fastballs because of who is behind them....Camargo moves to a super utility role
    Get off my lawn!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    I think we will try to land Pollock or Brantley on a 3 year deal at an AAV of 15M or so....if that fails we will check on Muk with a one year deal at 12M...if that also fails we will turn to the trade market...it makes sense to try the free agents first
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Called Up to the Major Leagues ixiXSolidXixi's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Can someone translate this?
    I speak spanish if you want i could tell you in spanish if that works? Lol always have something to say. Have a good day!!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ixiXSolidXixi For This Useful Post:

Onlyonegoal (10-17-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    Not going to happen but i'd like to see

Trade for Peralta
    Sign Donaldson 1 yr/ $18m
    Sign Ramos 3yr/$33m maybe with 4th year option
    Trade Teheran for whoever takes the most of his contract.
    Sign solid reliever for the pen

Inciarte CF
    Acuna LF
    Freeman 1B
    Donaldson 3B
    Peralta RF
    Ramos C
    Albies 2B
    Swanson SS

That would be a formidable line up...Acuna and Freeman would see more fastballs because of who is behind them....Camargo moves to a super utility role

I do not agrer that is a formidable lineup. Peralta had 1 good year in a great hitters park with very mediocre road splits. Donaldson is a broken down vet and Ramos just sucks imo.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to cajunrevenge For This Useful Post:

salmagundy (10-17-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Ramos is 31 and a slightly below average pitch framer who probably projects to 1.5-2 wins in a roughly half-time role.

If he gets $17.5M per season over 4 years he would be the 3rd highest paid catcher in the game on an annual basis behind Molina and Posey. I find that scenario highly unlikely unless the catcher market goes absolutely crazy this off season.

I think I'd peg Ramos at close to Cervelli money...3/35 to 4/50 range.

Well, I don't have any reason to think I would be closer than your guess, though I think he may make more than Cervelli. I just eyeballed him at about 8 WAR, which well be high.

Ramos would be a viable target for Atlanta in the range you site perhaps. I might prefer that to splurging for Grandal or meeting a hold-up price for Realmuto.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    I do not agrer that is a formidable lineup. Peralta had 1 good year in a great hitters park with very mediocre road splits. Donaldson is a broken down vet and Ramos just sucks imo.
    Peralta has played in 3 full seasons (injury issues in 2016) and posted WARs of 3.9, 1.8, and 3.8. That is a good player, and his home ballpark has nothing to do with WAR values. He is also under relatively cheap control for 2 more season, and represents a very good $/WAR value.

Ramos does not suck. He is essentially Suzuki's bat with a little better defense. He is going to be given a $30M+ contract specifically because he does not suck.

I agree that signing Donaldson doesn't make a whole lot of sense anymore with Camargo and Riley making progress, but I'm not sure what other players folks expect the Braves to pursue if not guys like Peralta and Ramos.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    How does a 131 wRC+ = "sucks?"

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,487 Posts
    Donaldson came back strong with CLE over the last few weeks hitting .280 with 3 HR's in 16 games . If he is anywhere close to what he is capable of, he makes the #4 spot dangerous....last season we had Markakis and Flowers/Suzuki in the 4/5 spot....you could pitch around Freeman and not worry too much because you knew neither of them had much power...Peralta did have inflated power numbers in Arizona this year, but you could probably expect around 20 HRs from him in Suntrust and is arb eligible for 2 years...he is also a career average .293 hitter...

Ramos hit .297 in 78 games for the Rays last year with 14 HR's, and .337 in 33 games for the Phils..also is a better run defender than Flowers or Suzuki....

All 3 of those players would be upgrades over last season.
    Get off my lawn!

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    Well, I don't have any reason to think I would be closer than your guess, though I think he may make more than Cervelli. I just eyeballed him at about 8 WAR, which well be high.

Ramos would be a viable target for Atlanta in the range you site perhaps. I might prefer that to splurging for Grandal or meeting a hold-up price for Realmuto.
    My prediction is more than what Cervelli got.

I'm fairly confident in my prediction that Ramos will not be the 3rd highest paid catcher in MLB when he signs his next contract.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    It'll be interesting to see if AA sticks to his love for defense. Ramos with his knees and lack of pitch framing skills could be a deterrent. Also, Peralta hasn't graded out as a bad defender, but not a good one either.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Chico For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (10-17-2018)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    I would be very happy with a flowers Ramos tandem. I think you get a good combo and then Ramos can menter Contreras when he is ready. In fact I see that being more likely than going all in with grandal
    Coppy

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chico View Post
    It'll be interesting to see if AA sticks to his love for defense. Ramos with his knees and lack of pitch framing skills could be a deterrent. Also, Peralta hasn't graded out as a bad defender, but not a good one either.
    I think Ramos splitting time keeps him healthy. He is a great pinch hitting threat as well.
    Coppy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Were there rumors about us interested in Realmuto at the deadline?

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Hudson2 For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (10-17-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    Donaldson came back strong with CLE over the last few weeks hitting .280 with 3 HR's in 16 games . If he is anywhere close to what he is capable of, he makes the #4 spot dangerous....last season we had Markakis and Flowers/Suzuki in the 4/5 spot....you could pitch around Freeman and not worry too much because you knew neither of them had much power...Peralta did have inflated power numbers in Arizona this year, but you could probably expect around 20 HRs from him in Suntrust and is arb eligible for 2 years...he is also a career average .293 hitter...

Ramos hit .297 in 78 games for the Rays last year with 14 HR's, and .337 in 33 games for the Phils..also is a better run defender than Flowers or Suzuki....

All 3 of those players would be upgrades over last season.

Pay for what they will do not what they have done. Donaldson is a good gamble on a 1 year deal but I wouldnt count on him.

It’s over."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    How does a 131 wRC+ = "sucks?"

Lets hold on to this thought and revisit it after the 2019 season. If he signs with an NL team for 10+ million they will regret it by the end of the first season.

It’s over."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    My prediction is more than what Cervelli got.

I'm fairly confident in my prediction that Ramos will not be the 3rd highest paid catcher in MLB when he signs his next contract.
    He was on track to nab this before he blew up his knee.
    Ivermectin Man

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Peralta has played in 3 full seasons (injury issues in 2016) and posted WARs of 3.9, 1.8, and 3.8. That is a good player, and his home ballpark has nothing to do with WAR values. He is also under relatively cheap control for 2 more season, and represents a very good $/WAR value.

Ramos does not suck. He is essentially Suzuki's bat with a little better defense. He is going to be given a $30M+ contract specifically because he does not suck.

I agree that signing Donaldson doesn't make a whole lot of sense anymore with Camargo and Riley making progress, but I'm not sure what other players folks expect the Braves to pursue if not guys like Peralta and Ramos.
    Signing Donaldson makes sense if you believe he can return to his 2017 Toronto form and probably makes sense if he returns to his 2014 Oakland form. Riley isn't ready. Camargo is fine but isn't really a #4 which is what the Braves need. If Camargo could play 2nd, short and third and at least be passable as a corner OF, then I think taking a chance on Donaldson makes a lot of sense if his 2018 season presents a value opportunity. I wouldn't pay him 4 years $80M at this point but 3 years $45M might not be a bad gamble, especially if that 3/45 comes without a no trade provision.

If Riley plays all of 2019 in AAA and shows that he's ready, and you are fortunate to have Donaldson return to 2017 Toronto form, then you have the option of trading either between 2019 and 2020.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsehide Harry View Post
    Signing Donaldson makes sense if you believe he can return to his 2017 Toronto form and probably makes sense if he returns to his 2014 Oakland form. Riley isn't ready. Camargo is fine but isn't really a #4 which is what the Braves need. If Camargo could play 2nd, short and third and at least be passable as a corner OF, then I think taking a chance on Donaldson makes a lot of sense if his 2018 season presents a value opportunity. I wouldn't pay him 4 years $80M at this point but 3 years $45M might not be a bad gamble, especially if that 3/45 comes without a no trade provision.

If Riley plays all of 2019 in AAA and shows that he's ready, and you are fortunate to have Donaldson return to 2017 Toronto form, then you have the option of trading either between 2019 and 2020.
    The only problem I have with this is - aren't you more or less taking another Markakis gamble with a deal like that?

The offense finished 4th in the NL in wOBA this season, and you'd expect that number to rise with an extra month worth of ABs from Camargo and a Markakis upgrade. I don't have a problem with bringing Zook back IF the $$$ for Grandal goes where some think it might or the asking price for Realmuto remains ridiculously exorbitant, but a 3 year deal for Donaldson just screams that he's going to be "in the way" at some point - and maybe soon. I understand slow-playing Riley, but once he gets here Donaldson becomes an expensively redundant piece who you can't DH. Even if he's "worth" his contract, he could easily become another Julio - someone everyone else is only interested in if you give him away for chump change.

I get that some folks aren't fans of spending much on the pen, but I'd probably rather splurge on a surer thing at the back-end than commit 3 years to Donaldson at this point. If he's willing to take a one-year "prove it deal", I'd be much more interested - just don't like the idea of being stuck with him and not being able to get pretty good value for him.

I realize I've been higher on Riley than most around here for a good while, but I think the organization feels the same way - they certainly haven't done anything to signal something differently thus far.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

24. The Following User Says Thank You to clvclv For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (10-17-2018)

Brian Jordan's New BFF JohnAdcox's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    459 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    Were there rumors about us interested in Realmuto at the deadline?
    That's kind of an infinite monkeys/typewriters/time thing. There are rumors about every player and every team.