Page 456 of 579 FirstFirst ... 356406446454455456457458466506556 ... LastLast
Results 9,101 to 9,120 of 11579

Thread: 2018 Offseason And Targets

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,477 Posts
    Just wait a couple years. Then the excuse will be "We've got to save money for all these young players who are about to need extensions." Then they'll just leave anyway.

What a miserable offseason.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    The comments about the SPs lead me to believe they're still really high on Gohara, Soroka, and others to a lesser extent - meaning the rotation won't be tinkered with until the deadline (and they hope they won't need to even then). No Keuchel or Gio because they believe Folty isn't going to regress, Gausman's performance after coming over is for real, and they think Newcomb has another step forward in him even if that's not becoming a #1 or #2.

It sounded like you can probably put the Harper dreams to rest - they're not going to that level of commitment (8-10 years) for anyone. Hard to be steamed about that since if there was another sucker other than Philadelphia or Chicago out there to do that, Harper and Machado would've already signed.

I'll buy the "powder dry" statement a little longer only because they can't run from the fact that the revenues are there. They're simply not going to spend for the sake of spending, and it's hard to be hacked-off about that too. They honestly believe in some of the kids, and they're only going to add someone on a reasonable deal that will make a huge impact.

Translation - when Kimbrel's number gets to 3/$45 million, they'll pounce. They could've upgraded around the edges of the pen, but have they really missed out on difference-makers there other than Britton and possibly Robertson? While several of them would've made fans happy because they may be better than what we currently have, they all come with their own question marks too. Kimbrel would be the impact signing that would help the bottom line as well since he has the "coming home" angle attached.

I still think we could see a Marwin signing too, but only if he comes for less than $10 million AAV.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    I love that my GM wants to be an underdog. Hey don’t build a winner. Instead hope for overachievement
    Coppy

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    And what is funny is DD gets to reep the rewards from Wren. A couple good things coppy did and the great drafts from the two guys he just decided to fire.
    Coppy

Anytime Now Frankie... tululush's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    180 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    And what is funny is DD gets to reep the rewards from Wren. A couple good things coppy did and the great drafts from the two guys he just decided to fire.
    Did I miss something? Why are we calling AA DD?

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tululush View Post
    Did I miss something? Why are we calling AA DD?
    Just me. My grade of him so far. He is doing absolutely nothing to put a winner on the field. So he doesn’t deserve the AA in my book.

Let me rephrase that. He is doing absolutely nothing to help the winners the previous regimes put on the field. There is no defense for the neck deal coupled with Mac and calling it an offseason.
    Coppy

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    He is doing absolutely nothing to put a winner on the field.
    i mean, this is objectively untrue.
    i can understand being frustrated by the offseason, i am too. but saying "absolutely nothing" has been done is quite the overstatement. what if donaldson puts up 5 WAR? was nothing done still?
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    We were at the bottom and trending towards the middle!!

Seriously...
    Trending towards what is currently the middle, that is.

The Braves payroll won't go up enough to keep up with baseball inflation under this regime (mainly McGuirk). By the time payroll gets to $150MM, that will be just enough to keep the team right where it is now relative to its competitors.

NL Rookie of the Year CrazyTrain's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    191 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    Folty's 27, Nola is 25, but i'd at least need to see Folty repeat one more year before extending him but the Braves have an absurd amount of pitching prospects in the pipeline.
    God Enscheff is a pathetic, terrible person. I can't imagine how miserable he is in real life. What a ****ing bitch.

I meant more about buying out the rest of his arb years and extending him 2 more, so really a 4 year deal from now forward. I'll admit I'm not an expert when it comes to this. Mores o asking a question than saying what we should do.
    Last edited by CrazyTrain; 02-14-2019 at 09:59 AM.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    i mean, this is objectively untrue.
    i can understand being frustrated by the offseason, i am too. but saying "absolutely nothing" has been done is quite the overstatement. what if donaldson puts up 5 WAR? was nothing done still?
    JD was a great signing. But it doesn’t move the needle enough to win the series. So we are right back here next year. So are we happy with just winning enough and hoping all our prospects pan out. I guess you are. I guess you like the gm to be the underdog too when he keeps saying he has the money and prospect to do more.
    Coppy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,676 Posts
    JD was a great signing. But it doesn’t move the needle enough to win the series. So we are right back here next year. So are we happy with just winning enough and hoping all our prospects pan out. I guess you are. I guess you like the gm to be the underdog too when he keeps saying he has the money and prospect to do more.
    We can still add players during the season. Every year some team sells a really good player. Maybe we add that player. Maybe our young core hits their stride this season. Maybe we face plant this year. I can melt with the best of you, but I'll save it till the games begin.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Just me. My grade of him so far. He is doing absolutely nothing to put a winner on the field. So he doesn’t deserve the AA in my book.

Let me rephrase that. He is doing absolutely nothing to help the winners the previous regimes put on the field. There is no defense for the neck deal coupled with Mac and calling it an offseason.
    Everyone's frustration is understandable, but I'm slightly more willing to wait a little longer. If you (they) were approaching this winter as the time to stand on the gas and make the crowning final move or two, there's no doubt it's been an unmitigated failure. When you step back and look at other situations, maybe being patient for a couple more months is the right move. The Brewers were much closer to the promised land than we were, and have essentially stood pat this winter as well. One of the guys who covers them was on the Network yesterday and actually defended them - explaining that their brass has convinced him they truly believe more in their young arms than what the consensus says. He barked at the hosts simply "we'll see if they're right soon enough" - more or less telling them they don't know an ounce more than the Milwaukee decision-makers, so shut up.

One of the things they've consistently played off is Gohara - I honestly think he's about to explode.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    The Braves saw their offense in the 2nd half decline a decent amount even with Acuna going off. Adding a 3rd MVP level bat to the lineup will tremendously help it and that is what JD will provide. I think some are underestimating his ability. He's essentially a right handed Freeman.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Everywhere you look, Reddit, Twitter, and message boards has shown the FO dropped the ball this offseason.

I think their hope is the Battery will be the draw and as long as we're somewhat competitive, then we can get by with as little effort in upgrading as possible.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    We were at the bottom and trending towards the middle!!

Seriously...
    Upper Middle!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,676 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chico View Post
    Everywhere you look, Reddit, Twitter, and message boards has shown the FO dropped the ball this offseason.

I think their hope is the Battery will be the draw and as long as we're somewhat competitive, then we can get by with as little effort in upgrading as possible.
    If we didn't care about winning and only profits, why isn't realmuto a brave? We could easily have topped the Phillies offer if we wanted to. We'd have another star and the hype would be unbelievable... only problem is we'd pay for that move down the road.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    It does seem like our offseason is over. Just a glimmer of hope...Kimbrel was traded right before the season started. There could be a deal out there I guess...maybe.

It they wouldn’t have boasted about how much money they had to spend, it wouldn’t have been as big of a deal. Why do that??

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    The Braves saw their offense in the 2nd half decline a decent amount even with Acuna going off. Adding a 3rd MVP level bat to the lineup will tremendously help it and that is what JD will provide. I think some are underestimating his ability. He's essentially a right handed Freeman.
    At this point, I'm resigned to the fact folks simply aren't going to count acquiring Donaldson as any kind of upgrade or expenditure of money. I guess if he signed yesterday they might get more credit for it. But aggressively signing the first big free agent at a team friendly number and risk evidently isn't something that wears well.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    At this point, I'm resigned to the fact folks simply aren't going to count acquiring Donaldson as any kind of upgrade or expenditure of money. I guess if he signed yesterday they might get more credit for it. But aggressively signing the first big free agent at a team friendly number and risk evidently isn't something that wears well.
    So we did enough to make it to the series. Without all the what ifs? If not then signing JD to a one year deal is just like saying we are still seeing what we got. Why not add more marginal upgrades in the outfield too. We apparently have money.

Yeah and the stupid comment about we said we have more money not that we would spend more money is a slap in our faces. Like saying we have a cup a sugar but you can’t have it. **** off DD. You just keep building your underdogs
    Coppy

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    148 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    I think most realize how good JD is or can be.I just worry with the near certain regression from the platoon at catcher and Neck that our gains at 3b will still leave us with a slightly above average offense with only 4 legitimate hitters that other teams fear. Couple all that with our sure to be average to slightly above average pitching staff and that’s why I believe folks are overlooking him.
    I believe we have a ton of good middle of the rotation young arms to make a good rotation so I completely understand why we haven’t added a pitcher.
    But when we failed to add a good corner outfielder when we had plenty of good options it was a sign that ownership are content to be nice little story that is just good enough to compete but not a legitimate contender for a WS.
    Since the market is clearly soft, there’s no reason the Braves shouldn’t make Harper or Machado a 4-5 year offer with player options each season so they can test the market again.
    If one of them say yes are you really hurting yourself long term?
    We would only be going over budget 10-15 million if they are honest with what they have to spend.
    I’d much rather have one of those players from the start of the year then a possible rental we could get at the break.