Page 4 of 579 FirstFirst ... 234561454104504 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 Offseason And Targets

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jcc03004 View Post
    What does our rotation look like next year? I would assume Foltynewicz and Gausman are locks. I actually hope we keep Julio cuz replacing him with a veteran with his production would cost more then Julio does. So that leaves Newcomb, Fried, Touissant, Sanchez (if he’s brought back), Wright and Wilson to compete for 2 spots. Thoughts?
    I'm guessing one of our starting pitchers is traded for an outfielder
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    I'm guessing one of our starting pitchers is traded for an outfielder
    i think trading a pitcher or a few for a corner OF and signing a catcher like Grandal is my dream offseason.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory BlackwaterPark's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    79 Posts
    I would love 1

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Twins have a lot of holes and Rosario has only 3 years remaining control. Maybe they try to extent him this off-season, but if not they'll most likely field offers for him, even if they don't actively try to trade him.
    It will be interesting to see what Falvey and Levine do. Clearly their approach wasn't much lauded up here this year, but a lot of things went wrong, most notably Sano's ever-increasing heft and attitude problems. Polanco's suspension, Buxton's injury (and stalling out), and Castro's injury hurt them more than they let on. Twins have long found themselves as a team in limbo with occasional performance spikes. With Mauer off the books, they will have some payroll room. They are going to have a new manager, so it will be interesting to see what the next steps are. They could do a tear-down and start fresh with a new guy, but that's not going to sell well up here. It's my guess they will try to add some mid-priced pitching and give the young core one more go-round.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jcc03004 View Post
    What does our rotation look like next year? I would assume Foltynewicz and Gausman are locks. I actually hope we keep Julio cuz replacing him with a veteran with his production would cost more then Julio does. So that leaves Newcomb, Fried, Touissant, Sanchez (if he’s brought back), Wright and Wilson to compete for 2 spots. Thoughts?
    I hope Sanchez is brought back and either Julio or Gausman are traded to make room for ascending arms. That's assuming that a couple of the young guys who got starts this year are traded for a bat.
    Go get him!

Founding member of the Whiny Little Bitches and Pricks Club

Swallowed by Mark Bowman
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,269 Posts
    It’s easy to make dumb decisions with bench players, but I hope we find a way to improve the bench. Pinch hitting Ryan Flaherty in the sixth inning of an elimination game down one just can’t happen again.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MadduxFanII For This Useful Post:

Jaw (10-09-2018), Super (10-09-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MadduxFanII View Post
    It’s easy to make dumb decisions with bench players, but I hope we find a way to improve the bench. Pinch hitting Ryan Flaherty in the sixth inning of an elimination game down one just can’t happen again.
    a guy like that shouldn't be making the postseason roster again.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    The more I think about it, the more I bet the Braves target Kimbrel and Keuchel.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UNCBlue012 View Post
    The more I think about it, the more I bet the Braves target Kimbrel and Keuchel.
    keuchel is going to get a ton of money. i doubt we even pursue him at all.
    there are a lot of options for the back-end of the rotation if need be, tho. anibal is probably high on our list. from there, don't we just let our young guys pitch and figure out what we've got? i guess we can start them back in the minors, let them get more seasoning, and see who's performing when the inevitable injury happens. I wonder what Sabathia would want. He or Holland would be solid.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Not sure why folks keep starting threads for topics that have already been hashed out 10 times, but I'm going to keep hoping the Braves target a cOFer that's a little betetr than the 0-1 win guy Mazara has been.

The debt rules almost certainly mean they won't be handing out $300M contracts, but signing Pollock and Grandal would be a pretty good haul for this team and is at least reasonable to consider.
    That debt ceiling talk isn’t a real thing.

I don’t think.

Gwinnett Bound
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    118 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UNCBlue012 View Post
    I’m afraid Kimbrel will be to expensive and Keuchel seems like the back end of a four or five year deal could be terrible.

I would spend to get Grandal and either Pollock or Cutch. Those two would still leave 10 to 15 million to spend on additions to the bullpen / bench.

One move I could see happening is bring Nick back as the 4th OF/PH. I think his market maybe is a 5 to 6 million per year guy on a rebuilding team. No contender is paying him 11 million per year to start at age 35. Would Nick give us a contenders discount to stay at home and finish his career on a winning team?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,487 Posts
    Free agent additions:

Wilson Ramos C
    Craig Kimbrel RHP
    AJ Pollock RF
    Lucas Duda LHH
    Jonny Venters LHP
    Adam Ottavino RHP

Doubt we could sign all of them, but those would all be phenomenal pick ups. Hopefully we get a payroll bump for the year we had.

Inciarte CF
    Pollock RF
    Freeman 1B
    Acuna LF
    Ramos C
    Camargo 3B
    Albies 2B
    Swanson SS

Folty
    Newk
    Gausman
    Touki
    Soroka/Wilson/Wright/Fried

Flowers
    Duda
    Adams
    Culberson

Kimbrel - Closer
    Ottavino
    Viz
    Minter
    Sobotka
    Venters
    Biddle
    Winkler

I left Teheran out, figuring that it is time to turn the page and trade him this offseason for a few prospects, albeit not great prospects. By adding to the bullpen, and getting a better catcher than Flowers in, we significantly improve our teams chances this offseason. Pollock would be a great pick up for right field. Venters could move into a situational lefty. The additions of Ottavino and Kimbrel allows you to put Winkler and Biddle in less pressure situations, but we know they can handle those situations if called upon.

EDIT: Can't forget to fire Chuck Hernandez, i'd bring the rest of the coaching staff back. Seitzer did a great job making the adjustment with Acuna. Snit deserves to stay, LOVE Washington and Weiss on the staff
    Last edited by bravesfanforlife88; 10-09-2018 at 08:55 AM.
    Get off my lawn!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,481 Posts
    Would/should we be willing to eat the majority of Justin Upton’s contract to get him for next to no prospect capital? That’s if Pollock or the like doesn’t work out.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,487 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    Would/should we be willing to eat the majority of Justin Upton’s contract to get him for next to no prospect capital? That’s if Pollock or the like doesn’t work out.
    Love JUP and he could put up monster numbers in this park....the thing that worries me is that he has the tendency to carry the team for small stretches and completely fall off the grid for a while with a lot of K's....i'd like to see us take the approach of working counts better....thats what good teams do which makes the opposing teams pitchers rack up pitch counts, getting the starter out earlier...

Also, focus on the pen...the Brewers have a great pen, that takes pressure off the offense
    Get off my lawn!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Kimbrel's current employer will be strongly motivated to keep him. There is probably a pretty good comfort level between them and him. They have significantly deeper pockets than we do.

Ditto all of the above with respect to Grandal.

"I am your retribution."

17. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

Jaw (10-09-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,487 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Kimbrel's current employer will be strongly motivated to keep him. There is probably a pretty good comfort level between them and him. They have significantly deeper pockets than we do.

Ditto all of the above with respect to Grandal.
    agreed, however, having played here in the past and proximity to home could help sway his decision, on top of us having a competitive window opening up
    Get off my lawn!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Here is what I think is likely to happen:

1) Re-sign Suzuki at about $5M/one year
    2) Re-sign Sanchez at about $5M/one year
    3) Sign Asdrubal Cabrera about $8M per year/2 years
    4) Trade Newcomb to the Diamondbacks for David Peralta.

Rotation at the start of the season will be: Folty, Gausman, Sanchez, Teheran and Fried

Cabrera will play 2-3 games a week. Mostly spelling Camargo, Swanson and Albies against righties.

Duvall will play against lefties, with either Peralta or Inciarte being given the day off.

Pen will have 4 righties from among Viz, Winkler, O'Day, Carle and Sobotka, and 4 lefties--Venters, Minter, Biddle and Freeman.

AA will keep a fair amount of powder dry for mid-season moves.

We will have a nice group of players in AAA to bring up as needed: Riley, Touki, Gohara, Soroka, Wright, Wilson. We can ease Gohara and Soroka back into things and limit their workload so they can come in an make a big contribution later in the season. You always need 8 or so starting pitchers to get through a major league season.

This the outline of what I see happening. Obviously the details could be different. There are alternatives to Peralta such as Marte or Piscotty we could trade for. Similarly we could sign Marwin Gonzalez or Eduardo Escobar instead of Asdrubal Cabrera. I do think the focus will be on left-handed or switch hitting hitters who do well against righties. Our team currently leans a bit right-handed including 2 switch hitters (Albies and Camargo) who hit better from the right side. We need to balance that out a bit.

I would add both Suzuki and Sanchez have made clear they would like to come back. If you can keep veterans like that on sub-market one-year deals it is foolish not to do so.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 10-09-2018 at 09:32 AM.

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Marwin Gonzalez is a FA I believe and he can play all over the field and play it well. He would be worth a look too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    agreed, however, having played here in the past and proximity to home could help sway his decision, on top of us having a competitive window opening up
    it is fairly likely that both Kimbrel and Grandal stay with their current clubs

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    Marwin Gonzalez is a FA I believe and he can play all over the field and play it well. He would be worth a look too.
    He along with Eduardo Escobar and Asdrubal Cabrera should be high on our free agent shopping list.

"I am your retribution."