Page 274 of 579 FirstFirst ... 174224264272273274275276284324374 ... LastLast
Results 5,461 to 5,480 of 11579

Thread: 2018 Offseason And Targets

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chico View Post
    We heard during the Winter Meetings about the Reds’ interest in Braves center fielder Ender Inciarte, though Passan writes that “talks stagnated” between the two sides, and Cincinnati then pivoted to acquire outfield help in the form of Yasiel Puig and Matt Kemp. Neither of those two are viable center field options, of course, so the Reds remain on the hunt for a replacement for Billy Hamilton.

A lot of deals being discussed, but none coming to fruition so far. The AA is a "value junkie" who will be mentioned in many deals line from the Blue Jays fan who posted after he signed is sounding more and more true.
    Good... I don't want him to compromise at this point of the off season.... there are tons of players likely available and tons of time left.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zbhargrove For This Useful Post:

BedellBrave (01-02-2019), JohnAdcox (01-02-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Prices on corner outfielders might drop once the Indians fill their needs. I think they are one of the few teams in addition to us actively shopping in that market. Things should also clarify in that market once Harper signs. I'm good with AA being patient.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    I still think AA is waiting on the JTR situation to be finalized to make his big trade (since JTR may be that big trade), and JTR probably won't be traded until right around the time (probably after) Grandal signs.

Once the Grandal/JTR situation sorts itself out, I expect whatever moves AA has primed to be executed rather quickly...like the Mac/JD acquisitions. Value is certainly a primary consideration, but the Braves still have to get impact players, so AA can't be driven only by value.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (01-02-2019)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,487 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    Found a Braves rumor lol, from Passan on his first ESPN article, he's great.

Atlanta is planning to stick with its plethora of young arms and pursue upgrades at the trade deadline if necessary. On if they'd pursue Kimbrel.
    Think Gohara can play RF?
    Get off my lawn!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,709 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    Found a Braves rumor lol, from Passan on his first ESPN article, he's great.

Atlanta is planning to stick with its plethora of young arms and pursue upgrades at the trade deadline if necessary. On if they'd pursue Kimbrel.
    Perfectly fine with that. Take our pitchers and go home. I dont want to trade any of them....
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

High School Draftee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    With as many pitchers as the Braves will probably have next year that are major league ready, they can just play the hot had all year and shift pitchers up and down all year. That will probably work great for the regular season, but will probably not work in the playoffs.

NL Rookie of the Year CrazyTrain's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    191 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    Perfectly fine with that. Take our pitchers and go home. I dont want to trade any of them....
    That's certainly OK, but we won't be competitive for a few more years.

NL Rookie of the Year CrazyTrain's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    191 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lenny View Post
    With as many pitchers as the Braves will probably have next year that are major league ready, they can just play the hot had all year and shift pitchers up and down all year. That will probably work great for the regular season, but will probably not work in the playoffs.
    You've basically described last year.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyTrain View Post
    You've basically described last year.
    You mean the year they won 90 games and were NL East champions?

Sounds like a pretty good outcome to me with a ~$125M payroll and a very young roster.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    I was just looking at Julio's peripherals and holy guacamole is he looking at some major regression. He led the league in BABIP against with a .217 and the next closest pitcher was Blake Snell with a .241. He did that while having the 11th worst GB% in baseball and the 19th worst HR/FB% in baseball. He also had the 3rd worst BB/9 in baseball. That dude is about to regress into a completely unusable pitcher. If there is any team willing to eat his money right now, we should jump on it as soon as possible.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    589 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    Think Gohara can play RF?
    Well he’s got the arm for sure. Speed on the other hand.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    In the NLDS vs the Dodgers, the Braves scored 0, 0, 6, and 2 runs, while the Dodgers scored 6, 3, 5, and 6 runs. How many more playoiff games would the Braves have won with an upgraded pitching staff?

Against the Brewers in the NLCS, who had a terrible group of SPs , the Dodgers needed 7 games to win it and scored 5, 4, 0, 2, 5, 2 and 5 runs.

So how did a team with much worse SPs than the Braves manage to give the Dodgers all they could handle in the NLCS?

This notion that the Braves need to upgrade the rotation is moronic, and only stated by folks who are absolutely clueless.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    This notion that the Braves need to upgrade the rotation is moronic, and only stated by folks who are absolutely clueless.

Like our GM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanieAntics View Post
    I was just looking at Julio's peripherals and holy guacamole is he looking at some major regression. He led the league in BABIP against with a .217 and the next closest pitcher was Blake Snell with a .241. He did that while having the 11th worst GB% in baseball and the 19th worst HR/FB% in baseball. He also had the 3rd worst BB/9 in baseball. That dude is about to regress into a completely unusable pitcher. If there is any team willing to eat his money right now, we should jump on it as soon as possible.
    Yup. There is quite a bit of risk carrying him. Other teams are aware of this and I don't anticipate any takers. However, we are better positioned to deal with this risk than most teams, with all the young starting pitchers coming through the upper levels. Teheran does serve the purpose of allowing us to ease Gohara and Soroka into things. I want to take it easy with those two in the first month or two. Have them start the year in the minors. This will allow us to control innings and intensity of effort until we can establish that they are healthy.

At least this is the last guaranteed year of Teheran's contract. In the end it hasn't worked out badly. Just not as well as the deals with Freeman, Simmons and Kimbrel. Collectively, those early extensions were very good business for the club.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    Like our GM.
    If I had to guess, I imagine a SP acquisition like Gray is contingent on trading someone like Newk to open a space.

Upgrading with a bonafide Ace like Paxton is a good idea if AA could have gotten good value. Apparently he was unable to get Paxton for good value, which is why Paxton isn't in Atlanta. Same deal with Kluber, Carrasco and Bauer.

I am unwilling to criticize AA until the offseason is over because I think he has 1-2 significant trades primed. That will change if the only additions made from now to opening day are Cargo/Markakis and some scrapheap SP that takes the opening day payroll from $107M to $120M. To me, that's a failed offseason.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,487 Posts
    If I had to guess, I imagine a SP acquisition like Gray is contingent on trading someone like Newk to open a space.

Upgrading with a bonafide Ace like Paxton is a good idea if AA could have gotten good value. Apparently he was unable to get Paxton for good value, which is why Paxton isn't in Atlanta. Same deal with Kluber, Carrasco and Bauer.

I am unwilling to criticize AA until the offseason is over because I think he has 1-2 significant trades primed. That will change if the only additions made from now to opening day are Cargo/Markakis and some scrapheap SP that takes the opening day payroll from $107M to $120M. To me, that's a failed offseason.
    I could see trading Teheran and replacing with Gray....keeping the rotation of Folty, Newk, Gray, Gausman, Gohara/Soroka/Wilson/Touki/etc. (guessing that Touki would have the edge out of camp)

You could trade Teheran to a team like Oakland or Detroit that is a pitcher friendly park, maybe kick in a little money (~$2m) and that would wash Grays/Teherans salaries, so not adding additional payroll.

I wouldn't mind if we end up with JTR, Gray, Markakis....trading Teheran

Acuna LF
    Donaldson 3B
    Freeman 1B
    JTR C
    Markakis RF
    Inciarte CF
    Albies 2B
    Swanson SS

Folty
    Newk
    Gray
    Gausman
    Touki/Wilson/Gohara/Soroka

McCann C
    Culberson INF/OF
    Camargo INF/OF
    Duvall OF

Viz
    Minter
    Venters
    Sobotka
    Biddle
    O'Day
    Fried
    Winkler
    Get off my lawn!

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    I could see trading Teheran and replacing with Gray....keeping the rotation of Folty, Newk, Gray, Gausman, Gohara/Soroka/Wilson/Touki/etc. (guessing that Touki would have the edge out of camp)

You could trade Teheran to a team like Oakland or Detroit that is a pitcher friendly park, maybe kick in a little money (~$2m) and that would wash Grays/Teherans salaries, so not adding additional payroll.

I wouldn't mind if we end up with JTR, Gray, Markakis....trading Teheran

Acuna LF
    Donaldson 3B
    Freeman 1B
    JTR C
    Markakis RF
    Inciarte CF
    Albies 2B
    Swanson SS

Folty
    Newk
    Gray
    Gausman
    Touki/Wilson/Gohara/Soroka

McCann C
    Culberson INF/OF
    Camargo INF/OF
    Duvall OF

Viz
    Minter
    Venters
    Sobotka
    Biddle
    O'Day
    Fried
    Winkler
    And why would any team trade for Teheran rather than simply acquiring Gray themselves? Do we think the Braves have a unique asset the Yankees will prefer?

We all know what the 25 man roster looks like, no need for folks to type it out on every page of the thread.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Yup. There is quite a bit of risk carrying him. Other teams are aware of this and I don't anticipate any takers. However, we are better positioned to deal with this risk than most teams, with all the young starting pitchers coming through the upper levels. Teheran does serve the purpose of allowing us to ease Gohara and Soroka into things. I want to take it easy with those two in the first month or two. Have them start the year in the minors. This will allow us to control innings and intensity of effort until we can establish that they are healthy.

At least this is the last guaranteed year of Teheran's contract. In the end it hasn't worked out badly. Just not as well as the deals with Freeman, Simmons and Kimbrel. Collectively, those early extensions were very good business for the club.
    I would rather have the 11 million dollars he is owed and use it elsewhere. Then just using our ridiculous pitching surplus to ease whatever guys you want into whatever role you want. I think that using the 10 day DL and Minor league options to rotate the young guys in and out will serve a similar purpose to whatever Julio might provide in that capacity.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanieAntics View Post
    I would rather have the 11 million dollars he is owed and use it elsewhere. Then just using our ridiculous pitching surplus to ease whatever guys you want into whatever role you want. I think that using the 10 day DL and Minor league options to rotate the young guys in and out will serve a similar purpose to whatever Julio might provide in that capacity.
    I would rather have those 11M used elsewhere too...but realistic we're not likely to recover much of it

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,487 Posts
    And why would any team trade for Teheran rather than simply acquiring Gray themselves? Do we think the Braves have a unique asset the Yankees will prefer?

We all know what the 25 man roster looks like, no need for folks to type it out on every page of the thread.
    Oakland could use both a pitcher and a catcher...seems like a fit
    Get off my lawn!