Page 433 of 579 FirstFirst ... 333383423431432433434435443483533 ... LastLast
Results 8,641 to 8,660 of 11579

Thread: 2018 Offseason And Targets

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,487 Posts
    This whole plan of AAs to sit on all of these pitching prospects could easily backfire on him this year. Last season we saw Soroka come up and dominate for a few starts before hitting the DL with shoulder issues. Gohara went from being a stud, to falling on his ass this past season (for obvious reasons with the family, we'll see if he bounces back)...what if Wright/Touki/Wilson/Anderson/etc. don't take the next step. What if in fact some of them take steps back....

Then we are going into the offseason with even more question marks on our prospects, and AA will have an even harder time making a trade....

I admit, I was very excited when we brought him in as our GM to replace Coppy....now, not so much.,
    Get off my lawn!

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Someone on Twitter likened the current Braves plan to the Pirates philosophy...Do just enough to be competititve and sell tickets.

I cannot disagree right now.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chico For This Useful Post:

clvclv (02-08-2019), JohnAdcox (02-08-2019)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,487 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Why didn't we give them albies and Riley to get him?
    It says they didn't ask for Albies......

But if they mainly wanted Riley, why was this move not made. And based on the sounds of it, why did the Braves not pursue this after the winter meetings?
    Get off my lawn!

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,487 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chico View Post
    Someone on Twitter likened the current Braves plan to the Pirates philosophy...Do just enough to be competititve and sell tickets.

Commitment to mediocrity
    Get off my lawn!

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post

But if they mainly wanted Riley, why was this move not made. And based on the sounds of it, why did the Braves not pursue this after the winter meetings?
    because what if they wanted riley plus a good bit more value..? were you down to trade whatever it took? i sure wasn't.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,675 Posts

Reading isn't my strong point. Wish the owners of this site would add an audio feature to read the messages for me

8. The Following User Says Thank You to msstate7 For This Useful Post:

bravesfanforlife88 (02-08-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chico View Post

Seems accurate to me. The difference in fan interest between winning enough to be in the race and being a true contender isn't enough to justify the money it takes to go from being in the race to a true contender. Spending just enough to keep us in the mix maximizes profits.

Analytics work just as well in the board room as they do on the diamond.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,675 Posts
    I have no problem with holding on to our farm guys if the price isn't right. I think our young pitching starts rounding into form this season. Still think we added the best player so far in the east this offseason. I don't think we're done with moves yet either.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to msstate7 For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (02-08-2019)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,487 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    because what if they wanted riley plus a good bit more value..? were you down to trade whatever it took? i sure wasn't.
    To add the best catcher in the game, stop one of our top competitors from vastly improving, and having a chance to make a good playoff run...? I would have given up Riley and Anderson in a heartbeat.

I don't pay to watch double A or triple A baseball. I think in today's day and age, some people lose sight of that.
    Get off my lawn!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,675 Posts
    To add the best catcher in the game, stop one of our top competitors from vastly improving, and having a chance to make a good playoff run...? I would have given up Riley and Anderson in a heartbeat.

I don't pay to watch double A or triple A baseball. I think in today's day and age, some people lose sight of that.
    You realize our window just opened right? It isn't like this is our last hoorah, so we going all-in. I'd have given the marlins 1 or the other and a lesser piece, but no way on both.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    It's a lose for baseball in that the justifications for making this change are absolutely ridiculous. They're literally saying that the term "disabled list" creates a misconception that disabled people can't play sports. That's a connection no sane person would ever make.

It's like people forget that one word can have multiple definitions. One of the definitions of the word "disable" is "to put out of action". So someone on baseball's disabled list is someone who has been put out of action. It's an absolutely legitimate use of the word.

To say that people can't understand that the "disabled" in "disabled list" and "disabled individual" have different meanings is absurd.
    To use JP's term, and I suspect he would vouch for me, I am pretty PC-averse.
    Having said that, Disabled List was always a terrible name for "the list of injured players who are not currently taking up a roster spot." The NFL's use of Injured Reserve for the same list has always made more sense.

I don't see a downside when it's this easy to use a more accurate term that doesn't have any negative impact and might be less likely to upset a parent who battles everyday to provide quality of life for a child that wasn't born with the same blessings as most people.
    Last edited by Jaw; 02-08-2019 at 10:53 AM.
    Go get him!

Founding member of the Whiny Little Bitches and Pricks Club

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaw View Post
    To use JP's term, and I suspect he would vouch for me, I am pretty PC-averse.
    Having said that, Disabled List was always a terrible name for "the list of injured players who are not currently taking up a roster spot." The NFL's use of Injured Reserve for the same list has always made more sense.

I don't see a downside when it's this easy to use a more accurate term that doesn't have any negative impact and might be less likely to upset a parent who battles everyday to provide quality of life for a child that wasn't born with the same blessings as most people.
    Honestly, if someone is upset by the term "disabled list" being used in reference to players that have been put out of action, then I think the problem that needs to be fixed is poor vocabulary education.

I actually find Injury List to be less accurate. Suppose a player gets pneumonia. They'll be placed on the injury list in spite of the fact that they're ill and not injured. Maybe by having a list called injury list that sick players can be put on would create the misconception that people struggling with chronic illnesses are injured and can't play sports.

A more accurate term would perhaps be "Unable to Perform List". However, would that be offensive to men with ED?

Maybe we should just call it "List A" just to be safe.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to striker42 For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (02-08-2019)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    Some of you are ridiculous. We don't overpay for a position we don't even need and the sky is falling and suddenly we're the Pirates...

It honestly wouldn't surprise me to see us finish with a higher WAR at 3B, cOF, and catcher than 2018. And, I'd say it's pretty likely we still have at least 1 more big addition we're working on, be it SP or cOF or closer.

NL Rookie of the Year CrazyTrain's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    191 Posts
    You realize our window just opened right? It isn't like this is our last hoorah, so we going all-in. I'd have given the marlins 1 or the other and a lesser piece, but no way on both.
    I wouldn't call overspending a bit to get a great catcher "going all-in" considering the amount of pitching prospects that we have, but I also don't agree that our window is should even be considered open yet. With the changing landscape of the NLE, we are now 2-3 years away without making some major upgrades.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,487 Posts
    We also have 8 prospects in the top 100, with Gohara a possible bounce back candidate flying under the radar. On top of that, we pick both 9th and 21st in the draft this season to replenish an expense of Riley and/or Anderson. Reports on Anderson are that he has low spin rates, so there is the possibility he could be a bust. Riley has a very high K rate and again, could be a bust....Prospects have potential, if our window is opening NOW, and you have a trade possibility to improve the team NOW and in the future, you do it...

It's not like JTR was a 1 year rental...The Astros and Cubs did it right....they sucked for a few years, developed a good farm system, then used that system and money to supplement their core....

The Braves have that opportunity to do that now and have failed to do so....Donaldson is a one year and done probably with us, that does not help our "window"
    Get off my lawn!

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,487 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyTrain View Post
    I wouldn't call overspending a bit to get a great catcher "going all-in" considering the amount of pitching prospects that we have, but I also don't agree that our window is should even be considered open yet. With the changing landscape of the NLE, we are now 2-3 years away without making some major upgrades.
    Agreed...the Phils and Mets are going to be good for quite a while.
    Get off my lawn!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Some of you are ridiculous. We don't overpay for a position we don't even need and the sky is falling and suddenly we're the Pirates...

It honestly wouldn't surprise me to see us finish with a higher WAR at 3B, cOF, and catcher than 2018. And, I'd say it's pretty likely we still have at least 1 more big addition we're working on, be it SP or cOF or closer.
    So you’re suggesting that Markakis will have a better season than last year? I have to take a bet on that

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,477 Posts
    Heyman says Marlins wanted two of:

-Riley
    -Pache
    -Wright, Anderson or Wilson

I would've done Riley and Wilson pretty quickly.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Some of you guys are just funny.

We have talked at length about the Tex deal. How under the pressure to win, we gave up too much for two years of a really good player.

Yes..JT is a good player, but my Lord in heaven...you guys are acting like he’s Trout. We aren’t even that weak at catcher.

Many of you guys see AA as sitting back....I see the opposite. I see a guy wise enough to pass, even though he is under huge pressure to win. That is the exact opposite of a weak GM. A weak GM gives them Anderson and Riley plus.

AA crunched the numbers. They made a fair offer and probably never changed that offer. The Phils under huge pressure to win and seeing the Braves might get better...actually caved.

We’ll make a trade. We have MLB ready or close to ready prospects. We’ll sign someone else...we still have money, be he won’t force anything.

AA has a limited payroll. Has no international signings (for the most part), for three more years. After this year we won’t have any high draft picks. Our farm in the lower level is already pretty thin, but you guys want to overpay just because we are able to.

So...because of all of the above....AA is being careful. He HAS to be....hello?? He only has to make a couple bad moves and we are screwed. We aren’t the Phils and Nats. They have the money to go in “win now” mode. Unless you want three more years of what we just came out of in about three more years...I suggest you cool your jets. Be thankful you don’t have a idiot GM willing blow every asset and take every gamble to win for the next few years.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to TheBravos For This Useful Post:

smootness (02-08-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ9 View Post
    Heyman says Marlins wanted two of:

-Riley
    -Pache
    -Wright, Anderson or Wilson

I would've done Riley and Wilson pretty quickly.
    Man I hope we didn’t turn down a package of Riley and Wilson with a nobody throw in. If so i lost a lot of faith in AA.