Results 8,721 to 8,740 of 11579

Thread: 2018 Offseason And Targets

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    I guess you sign a cheaper option and wait till next year. Or you pony up more if it can help you win. Wonder if the cubs regret over paying for their World Series title.
    Probably not since they won. But you also know JTR no way guarantees us that either.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Numerous quotes from DD saying he could spend. Even after JD.
    He spent it on Markakis so he wasn't lying

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    The OF is projected to produce ~7 WAR total.

That is unacceptable for a contending team with resources to burn at the beginning of the off season who already had a huge head start with the NL ROY playing in the OF for free, no matter how folks insist on spinning it.

Ending up with Markakis as an everyday cOF was a failure, period.
    This is my complaint. You can make a solid argument for standing pat at every spot on last year's team except bench and OF. Markakis was the clear spot where an above average or better starter would have the most effective impact. It's just stunning that the Braves answer was a one year older version of fast declining Nick Markakis.
    Go get him!

Founding member of the Whiny Little Bitches and Pricks Club

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Numerous quotes from DD saying he could spend. Even after JD.
    And not JUST to the mouthpieces Bowman and DOB - EVERY interview I've seen or heard for two months.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    He spent it on Markakis so he wasn't lying

I just threw up. Please don’t do that to me again.
    Coppy

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    What do you think the smart available moves to improve that OF were?
    I pretty clearly stated I wanted Grandal, Brantley, and then a bargain signing at 3B late in the off season.

As it turns out, my plan would have netted some pretty great value adds.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    I do think the verdict on this offseason will turn somewhat on whether one of Camargo or Riley can be an adequate outfielder. It will be possibly the most interesting question this spring training.
    I'm higher on Markakis/Camargo/Duvall/Riley's chances of being decent than most maybe, but I do think they should do something else in the OF.

I'd have done Brantley, but I'm not sure that was available to them. I would not have done McCutchen or Pollock. There is still the possibility of something like Peralta or the other dudes we've talked about. Certainly there will be more when reality sets in in some other cities.

We'll see. I feel pretty decent about their chances to contend and to get better as things progress.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Probably not since they won. But you also know JTR no way guarantees us that either.

Of course not. But they weren’t Garaunteed to win either. Sometimes you have to gamble.

Again. I am not saying we should have traded for JTR. I have been riding this horse since Neck signed. That was the straw. That was the glue that made me put the pieces together that DD maybe in over his head.
    Coppy

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    I'm higher on Markakis/Camargo/Duvall/Riley's chances of being decent than most maybe, but I do think they should do something else in the OF.

I'd have done Brantley, but I'm not sure that was available to them. I would not have done McCutchen or Pollock. There is still the possibility of something like Peralta or the other dudes we've talked about. Certainly there will be more when reality sets in in some other cities.

We'll see. I feel pretty decent about their chances to contend and to get better as things progress.
    Peralta would make no sense with neck signed already.
    Coppy

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaw View Post
    This is my complaint. You can make a solid argument for standing pat at every spot on last year's team except bench and OF. Markakis was the clear spot where an above average or better starter would have the most effective impact. It's just stunning that the Braves answer was a one year older version of fast declining Nick Markakis.
    There are a couple of ways to look at it.

For one there are several here and those likely running the Braves that don't view Camargo as an everyday player and feel Riley isn't ready yet. I lean towards that thinking as well.

Looking at it from an offensive perspective ZIPS and Steamer both project Camargo and Neck to be league average hitters in 2019.

Is Camargo and Brantely/Pollock/McCutchen/Whoever better than Donaldson and Neck?

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Of course not. But they weren’t Garaunteed to win either. Sometimes you have to gamble.

Again. I am not saying we should have traded for JTR. I have been riding this horse since Neck signed. That was the straw. That was the glue that made me put the pieces together that DD maybe in over his head.
    The Cubs were also one of if not the best team in baseball with one glaring weakness. The Braves are not in that situation right now.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyTrain View Post
    Can't believe I'm defending Enscheff here, but you can't look at the Donaldson signing in a vacuum. No matter how you try and spin it, that money could've been better used elsewhere.

I've yet to see a credible demonstration of that.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyTrain View Post
    Can't believe I'm defending Enscheff here, but you can't look at the Donaldson signing in a vacuum. No matter how you try and spin it, that money could've been better used elsewhere.
    That's a fine opinion to have, but let's not act like Donaldson isn't a good fit on this team.
    "Acuna is getting lucky, just like CJ did when he batted .321 and won a batting title. He is unlikely to get lucky at the MLB level over an extended period of time. He will settle in around .300-.320 just like everyone else, and when he does, he won't be within shouting distance of the 1.000 OPS he is posting in AAA...more like low .700s in 2018." -Enscheff 8/25/17

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,974 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    So you’re suggesting that Markakis will have a better season than last year? I have to take a bet on that
    Some combination of Markakis, Camargo, and Duval should absolutely produce between 2-3 WAR.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    I pretty clearly stated I wanted Grandal, Brantley, and then a bargain signing at 3B late in the off season.

As it turns out, my plan would have netted some pretty great value adds.
    I haven't been around in a while, I was genuinely asking. It's ok to just answer a question.

But yes, I would have liked those moves. I like Brantley a lot.

I will say, though, that with Flowers already on the roster, I like $23 million for Donaldson quite a bit more than I like $18 million for Grandal.
    "Acuna is getting lucky, just like CJ did when he batted .321 and won a batting title. He is unlikely to get lucky at the MLB level over an extended period of time. He will settle in around .300-.320 just like everyone else, and when he does, he won't be within shouting distance of the 1.000 OPS he is posting in AAA...more like low .700s in 2018." -Enscheff 8/25/17

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Some combination of Markakis, Camargo, and Duval should absolutely produce between 2-3 WAR.
    Can’t be viewded that way. Camargo will have war from multiple positions. Duvall who knows but I suspect will garner points from DH and PH. Plus you might see Duvall and Johan in the same outfield.
    Coppy

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    I haven't been around in a while, I was genuinely asking. It's ok to just answer a question.

But yes, I would have liked those moves. I like Brantley a lot.

I will say, though, that with Flowers already on the roster, I like $23 million for Donaldson quite a bit more than I like $18 million for Grandal.

And I did just answer the question...

$23M for JD with Camargo on the roster and Riley in AAA? How is that any different?

Nice attempt at a "gotcha" sig though haha. Go review the context of the comment and Acuna's first half BABIP/OPS numbers. I'll be digging up some boner comment from you now.

NL Rookie of the Year CrazyTrain's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    191 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    I've yet to see a credible demonstration of that.
    Well, that all comes down to what you think Camargo could've done at 3B for a full season instead of getting jerked around like he will next year. I personally think he would've been about 2.5 WAR. Meanwhile Nick will struggle to get 1 WAR.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,487 Posts
    Would signing Moustakas and Neck plus trading for JTR be better than signing Donaldson McCann and Neck?
    Get off my lawn!

NL Rookie of the Year CrazyTrain's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    191 Posts
    That's a fine opinion to have, but let's not act like Donaldson isn't a good fit on this team.
    In a vacuum, sure. Donaldson adds a big bat to the lineup. I think that's obvious to everyone.

I personally don't think a 1 year deal is a good fit for a rebuilding team at all. Especially when you factor in that we desperately need to know if Camargo or Riley can be the future at 3B when our window is actually open. Let's face it. AA views Donaldson as a draft pick.