Results 10,861 to 10,880 of 11579

Thread: 2018 Offseason And Targets

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    599 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    But the smartest person on this board insisted MadBum was exactly what this team needed to push them to becoming true WS contenders.
    Man - WHY DO YOU HAVE TO talk about who is smarter ? Why point it out ? How the **** old are you ? We can all see - the dumbest, most, pathetic, poster on here is ........YOU. Baseball stats don’t matter - in the grand scheme. Friends do.
    And that sucks because the info you bring is top shelf. And just to be really, really clear, I hate this because you could have the most productive conversations ever- but you seem not to have the ability.
    Sorry if this sounds harsh. But I truly wish you could lay off of everyone and be productive in a more positive way.
    SAV built this board to be a community. Help, contribute, discuss, disagree( constructively) or frankly, just get the **** out.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JxnMissFan View Post
    The bat speed observation is probably subjective until there is some stat cast data to back it up. I agree with the guess hitting take.

What’s more concerning about Riley in my opinion is that he is getting reps at 1st instead of the outfield. If his future is 1st base then he needs to be traded now.
    There is probably a way to measure how quick a player gets the bat to the point of contact, but that data isn’t available from any public source I know about. KLaw is never going to stop beating that drum on Riley, even if he turns into a .900 OPS monster.

I have a feeling there was a reason we heard Riley connected to a potential JTR trade though.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    I've not seen Riley in person so I'm going to withhold judgment until then. That being said, KLaw is about the only guy citing bat speed concerns with Riley.

Also, usually poor bat speed isn't demonstrated with struggling against a fastball. It's struggling against breaking stuff. A hitter doesn't do what Riley has without being able to catch up to a fastball. It's being able to wait long enough to recognize offspeed where bat speed is revealed.

So I do want to see Riley myself.
    Um, the world is full of AAAA hitters who could catch up to MiLB fastballs and guess right on enough breaking balls to post good numbers in AAA while not cutting it at the MLB level.

Are you suggesting your eye for judging a baseball swing will tell us whether or not Riley can hit once you see him?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hulavol View Post
    Man - WHY DO YOU HAVE TO talk about who is smarter ? Why point it out ? How the **** old are you ? We can all see - the dumbest, most, pathetic, poster on here is ........YOU. Baseball stats don’t matter - in the grand scheme. Friends do.
    And that sucks because the info you bring is top shelf. And just to be really, really clear, I hate this because you could have the most productive conversations ever- but you seem not to have the ability.
    Sorry if this sounds harsh. But I truly wish you could lay off of everyone and be productive in a more positive way.
    SAV built this board to be a community. Help, contribute, discuss, disagree( constructively) or frankly, just get the **** out.
    Take a Xanax

Spring Training Invitee TheRunningAgent's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    I used to be on this board under a different name and left for a few years. I was invited back and have enjoyed the conversations except for when people go personal. Anytime someone goes personal, it shows a weakness. It reveals an insecurity in the poster, which is sad. So, it causes others just to leave. There is already enough crap in this world to deal with without coming to a place of escape only to be ridiculed. We all have opinions about what the Braves ought to do. That’s all it is. Opinions.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheRunningAgent For This Useful Post:

buck75 (03-12-2019), UNCBlue012 (03-12-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    Um, the world is full of AAAA hitters who could catch up to MiLB fastballs and guess right on enough breaking balls to post good numbers in AAA while not cutting it at the MLB level.

Are you suggesting your eye for judging a baseball swing will tell us whether or not Riley can hit once you see him?
    Hitters with any skill at all will eventually time a fastball. Even if they have a painfully slow swing, they will eventually time it. The problems start when you don't have the bat speed to be able to wait long enough to recognize the pitch and lay off the offspeed stuff. This weakness will lead to some of them becoming guess hitters because they have to start their swings before they can recognize the pitch.

It seems counter intuitive but I'd wager that it's far more common to see guess hitters with slow bats feasting on fastballs. They guess fastball, start their swing when they have to, and destroy the pitch. You see so many fastballs as a hitter (especially in the minors) that it's usually smarter to try to guess when you're going to get one of them instead of when you're going to get a breaking ball.

I'm not suggesting my eye for a baseball swing will tell if Riley can hit. I'm suggesting looking at the results of his ABs myself will tell me a lot. There are things to watch for where bat speed is concerned. If he's getting victimized by sliders because he's having to sit on the fastball, that's telling. If he's consistently popping a lot of fastballs straight up, it's a sign he's a little slow with the bat. If he's relying on murdering fastballs over the plate to get hits, it indicates he's having to sit on fastball to catch up.

My only point was that KLaw citing Riley being a bit late on two good fastballs as evidence that he doesn't have a fast enough bat doesn't carry a ton of weight with me. Hitters with great bat speed will have fastballs blown by them all the time as they work to time it or pick it up out of the pitcher's hand. Seeing a hitter get victimized by breaking balls all the time because he has to sit on a fastball to catch up is far more concerning to me.

Gwinnett Bound
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    118 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    Hitters with any skill at all will eventually time a fastball. Even if they have a painfully slow swing, they will eventually time it. The problems start when you don't have the bat speed to be able to wait long enough to recognize the pitch and lay off the offspeed stuff. This weakness will lead to some of them becoming guess hitters because they have to start their swings before they can recognize the pitch.

It seems counter intuitive but I'd wager that it's far more common to see guess hitters with slow bats feasting on fastballs. They guess fastball, start their swing when they have to, and destroy the pitch. You see so many fastballs as a hitter (especially in the minors) that it's usually smarter to try to guess when you're going to get one of them instead of when you're going to get a breaking ball.

I'm not suggesting my eye for a baseball swing will tell if Riley can hit. I'm suggesting looking at the results of his ABs myself will tell me a lot. There are things to watch for where bat speed is concerned. If he's getting victimized by sliders because he's having to sit on the fastball, that's telling. If he's consistently popping a lot of fastballs straight up, it's a sign he's a little slow with the bat. If he's relying on murdering fastballs over the plate to get hits, it indicates he's having to sit on fastball to catch up.

My only point was that KLaw citing Riley being a bit late on two good fastballs as evidence that he doesn't have a fast enough bat doesn't carry a ton of weight with me. Hitters with great bat speed will have fastballs blown by them all the time as they work to time it or pick it up out of the pitcher's hand. Seeing a hitter get victimized by breaking balls all the time because he has to sit on a fastball to catch up is far more concerning to me.
    Dansby must have the slowest bat in the mlb. He can’t touch a slider.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JxnMissFan View Post
    Dansby must have the slowest bat in the mlb. He can’t touch a slider.
    It can be a slow bat (having to start your swing before you see slider) or a terrible eye (just never seeing slider). Dansby looks like he has a quick, compact swing so with him I lean towards the latter.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Alex Jackson and Allard cut
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    I was worried there for a second

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Wait bowman said Alex would make the team. Is he EVER right
    Coppy

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    Only when discussing what's on the buffet after the game

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts

Looking back at power hitting corner infielders they don't usually make any impact in the majors until 23 or 24, only the elite ones make it before. That's what makes me hesitant on Riley. I cannot call him elite, so based of history he could be a AAAA guy for another 2 years before figuring it out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    He had the right idea but the wrong catcher. That's pretty good for Bowman.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chico View Post
    Looking back at power hitting corner infielders they don't usually make any impact in the majors until 23 or 24, only the elite ones make it before. That's what makes me hesitant on Riley. I cannot call him elite, so based of history he could be a AAAA guy for another 2 years before figuring it out.
    think Riley still has a long ways to go and needs an entire year in the minors, most likely.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,481 Posts
    Wait, the Braves have the opportunity to carry an extra hitter for the first week, and people are happy that it isn’t Alex Jackson?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Bowman is comically dumb haha.

At least $60M to spend!

Alex Jackson will make the opening day roster!

Spring Training Invitee TheRunningAgent's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Once again, I don’t understand the mentality of attacking someone personally. You may disagree with Bowman but why the personal attack?

20. The Following User Says Thank You to TheRunningAgent For This Useful Post:

mfree80 (03-12-2019)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    Wait, the Braves have the opportunity to carry an extra hitter for the first week, and people are happy that it isn’t Alex Jackson?
    are you saying you wanted it to be jackson? i'm happy it's not?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,481 Posts
    are you saying you wanted it to be jackson? i'm happy it's not?
    Derp.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CyYoung31 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (03-12-2019), nsacpi (03-12-2019)