Thread: 2018 Offseason And Targets

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ixiXSolidXixi View Post
    If Yankees sign Happ then Phillies will go all in for Dallas Keuchel! We probably will need to go for a trade.
    Works for me, i dont want DK.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,487 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    We could use a bullpen arm but i view another bat as a bigger need.

As backend options we currently have: Sobotka, Minter, Viz, O'Day, Venters, with guys like Winkler, Freeman, Fried, Carle, Biddle, etc.

Certainly not an elite pen by any means but it's alot better than we had when we opened last year and had guys like Jose Ramirez, Moylan and Rex Brothers in the pen as well as Freeman. There's much better options there now. Could obviously use another high leverage arm but im not sure its the biggest need right now. Good listen and i can defintely see Philly sign Kimbrel if they whiff on Machado and Harper.
    Hopefully, if we stay with the current pen, we can shuttle guys back and forth to Gwinnett to help rest some guys so they don't all break down at the end of the season.
    Get off my lawn!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanforlife88 For This Useful Post:

buck75 (12-12-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,487 Posts
    Bowman hasn't given any updates on the Braves today.....must be going for the jackpot at the buffet?
    Get off my lawn!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanforlife88 For This Useful Post:

The Chosen One (12-12-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    I'm not sold on the need for a long term closer. Between the possibility Minter steps up and the stable of young starters that could end up being dominant relievers (Gohara, Touki, Wright, etc), I feel like we could end up with a home grown closer. I wouldn't mind an established closer for a year or two but I don't want to be tied down for years.

NL Rookie of the Year Acuña’s Bat Flip's Avatar
    Gaffney, South Carolina (Home of the Big Butt "Peach" on I-85)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    280 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Agree with the hesitation to trade Gohara. I mainly used him because there’s been smoke he is on the block and he’s the type of talent the Yankees turn into impact contributors. If I had the Yankees pitching development team at my disposal, the arms I would target from the Braves as buy low options would be Fried and Gohara. I think Fried is a plus sinker waiting to happen, and Gohara is a reasonable gamble to take on a potentially elite arm.

I don’t have Gray/Frazier as my favorite option. In fact, I’m not in favor of adding a SP at all unless it was something like the value the Yankees got in the Paxton deal for a truly elite impact pitcher. I think it’s foolish to spend any resources on a SP unless it’s a clear win in terms of value and impact. Thor is another example of a move I’d be in favor of if the value was good.

I’m saying that’s the move I’d bet on happening based on the resources the Braves have remaining and the apparent intent on adding a SP as well as an OF.
    Trading Gohara right now would be an idiotic move. I don't count last year because it was basically a lost season with the family tragedies and other issues he faced. Let's see what he can do this season and if his head is on straight. If it is I'd bet on him bouncing back.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    Hopefully, if we stay with the current pen, we can shuttle guys back and forth to Gwinnett to help rest some guys so they don't all break down at the end of the season.

I just don't see the need to make an expensive acquisition in the pen. This is where you really should just play the market and pick what falls to in the reasonably priced bucket.

Looking at the names that moved last year and the returns, we seem to be past the point where teams are paying out the nose for every reliever on the trade block. Just chalk this up as something that could be addressed later if necessary.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    280 Posts

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Acuña’s Bat Flip For This Useful Post:

UNCBlue012 (12-12-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    280 Posts

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozzie's Chainz View Post
    Bailey is pretty terrible and makes about the same as Puig and Wood, i wouldnt get that deal for LA, like at all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    Bowman hasn't given any updates on the Braves today.....must be going for the jackpot at the buffet?
    He just tweeted that the Braves might trade Acuna. And followed it up with a tweet stating that the Braves are not willing to trade Acuna.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to weso1 For This Useful Post:

buck75 (12-12-2018), Freshmaker (12-12-2018), UNCBlue012 (12-12-2018)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by weso1 View Post
    He just tweeted that the Braves might trade Acuna. And followed it up with a tweet stating that the Braves are not willing to trade Acuna.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    526 Posts
    Something I haven't seen mentioned here, and maybe nobody cares, but it would be bad business practice to trade Flowers. He agreed to a contract extension to play next season with the Braves, and that was just over 3 months ago. Had he known he was a trade candidate he could have become a free agent and chose to sign with the team of his choice.

Just throwing out that there as it's not great perception to treat your players like that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    280 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ixiXSolidXixi View Post
    If Yankees sign Happ then Phillies will go all in for Dallas Keuchel! We probably will need to go for a trade.
    It would break my heart twice, one with him not coming here and two if he signed with the Phillies. DK is probably more of a #1 starter in his mind anyway, we shouldn't pay that but instead pay someone like Gray to be the #2 to Folty's #1 in the rotation. I'm not high on Gray but I'm just using his name as an example. We need a #2 or #3 in the rotation and not play the backend game any longer.
    Last edited by Acuña’s Bat Flip; 12-12-2018 at 05:10 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBrave View Post
    Something I haven't seen mentioned here, and maybe nobody cares, but it would be bad business practice to trade Flowers. He agreed to a contract extension to play next season with the Braves, and that was just over 3 months ago. Had he known he was a trade candidate he could have become a free agent and chose to sign with the team of his choice.

Just throwing out that there as it's not great perception to treat your players like that.
    I agree but it happens sometimes when upgrades become available and someone like Mac costs 2-3 million less. But that still won't make it sit well with Flowers and I am sure if he ends up in Miami he'll be ready to do his best against us as payback.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Ken Rosenthal

Verified account

@Ken_Rosenthal
    55s55 seconds ago
    More
    Source confirms: Charlie Morton to #Rays. Two years, $30M, per @JeffPassan. First with deal being near: @TBTimes_Rays.
    I think the Rays did well here. These ~3 win SPs in their mid-30s usually command 3 year deals, so they did well to get him for 2.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozzie's Chainz View Post
    Trading Gohara right now would be an idiotic move. I don't count last year because it was basically a lost season with the family tragedies and other issues he faced. Let's see what he can do this season and if his head is on straight. If it is I'd bet on him bouncing back.
    I tend to agree.

But I also completely disagree with the narrative that the Braves need pitching, and these ideas of keeping Gohara and not acquiring any more pitching are complimentary.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBrave View Post

I had the same thought...not kosher if they did that to late bloomer

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    Gray is a FA after this season and I can see that as something of a plus for the front office. If it looks like we're not going to be able to get a TOR starter, getting a guy like Gray to fill out the rotation and who wont soak up resources beyond this year could be an attractive option for AA. Especially since Gray is a bit of a bounce back candidate. It's definitely something I could see the front office doing.

Personally, I'd probably rather see the Braves give guys like Wright, Fried, Touki, Soroka, and Gohara a chance to fight it out over the last spot or two in the rotation. I think there's a good chance you'd get more production.

I'm so concerned that as soon as we deal someone like Fried or Gohara, that's when they'll turn the corner and break out. These aren't High-A pitchers. These are major league ready, controllable assets. If it clicks for one of them, they could be a 3 WAR pitcher very quick.
    We just saw the Braves fail to beat 2/30 for Morton, and it's safe to assume they aren't offering 3 years for Happ any time soon. This tells me they are looking to get an average or better pitcher for 1-2 years at an AAV under $15M. Paxton fit that description, and we know (think) they were in on him to the very end.

If the Braves truly want to add a SP and won't beat 2/30, then the only real option right now is Gray. As I've been saying, all evidence leads me to conclude Gray is the most probable SP to add, even if I don't agree with it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    280 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    I just don't see the need to make an expensive acquisition in the pen. This is where you really should just play the market and pick what falls to in the reasonably priced bucket.

Looking at the names that moved last year and the returns, we seem to be past the point where teams are paying out the nose for every reliever on the trade block. Just chalk this up as something that could be addressed later if necessary.
    Don't forget we should have a healthy O'Day in the pen.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    696 Posts
    I'll be curious to hear if the Braves made an offer on Morton. Will be a little disappointed if they didn't. I'd prefer to stay away from Keuchel unless his market collapses. I'm sure AA will keep grinding in the coming days, but no worries at all if we wait out the market til January or February and acquire a lower tier of talent as a result. The most important thing is not to make any unforced errors that lead to future dead money.