1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonCowboy View Post
    Hand raised
    Third.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    AA might of took the Mac deal in part because he thinks we have the best shot at Realmuto.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    Familia and Ramos were good moves. I still dont get the Cano move, i know it's more about Diaz but they could have easily kept their prospects and signed a cheaper guy and 2 RP's for that money.
    They got better at 2b at a discount from what has been a fair deal to this point and added a dominant closer with tons of control. Diazcan be flipped when they are done with him.

They’ve loaded up for a two year window that corresponds with their control over their pitching.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Whether we like the moves or not, the Mets have improved quite a bit, at least on paper.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UNCBlue012 View Post
    Whether we like the moves or not, the Mets have improved quite a bit, at least on paper.
    True, at least short term they could be much better if they stay healthy and Cano doesn't get suspended again.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    BTW, if the padres decide to move Wil Myers, then i'd be interested in him for the outfield if they'd send millions to pay down part of the money owed the three years following this coming season. Not saying this is likely though, just an idea if they want to trade him bad enough.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    If AA really wants Realmuto, the Dodgers seem to be the biggest threat.

Call them up and offer a sweetheart deal for Flowers in exchange for backing off.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,974 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Not disagreeing with that at all - hindsight's always 20-20, and thus far Syndergaard's achieved nothing that makes it "a dumb trade". YET.

It was just another win now type of move that gets made time and time again.
    Right. Snydergaards done nothing but produce 15 fWAR in basically 3 seasons worth of work. That's an average of 5 WAR per season if you're counting. He was also a big reason they made the WS in 2015. But yeah, he's cearly he's done nothing...

Do you even read stuff as you type it out?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (12-17-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,974 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post

24 starts at 2B, 24 starts at SS, and 24 starts at 3B doesn't approach your 100 start floor.
    Don't need 100 starts to reach 400 at abats as he'll also be the 1st option off the bench nearly every single game he isn't starting. Figure he gets at least 75 PA's just from late game substitutions. Makes another 80-100 starts and he easily gets 400 at bats.

Gwinnett Bound
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    118 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chico View Post
    If AA really wants Realmuto, the Dodgers seem to be the biggest threat.

Call them up and offer a sweetheart deal for Flowers in exchange for backing off.
    I think the Dodgers will resign Grandal. The scenario in which I see the Dodgers becoming a threat is if the Philies miss out on Harper / Machado and in the panic they offer Grandal a huge contract. The Segura and Cutch pickups helped the Phillies but they are still short a superstar player. JTR could fill that role if they cant get Harper or Machado.

I think the dark horse in the JTR sweepstakes are the Astros.

I like what I'm reading about the Braves offering a package centered around Riley for JTR. IMO Riley is a good prospect but I think he is very replaceable. With two picks in the first round of the draft the Braves should be able to draft a player that could easily replace Riley.

Gwinnett Bound
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    118 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UNCBlue012 View Post
    I'm not as bullish on the Mets as most people seem to be. Diaz is a nice pickup but IMO because relief pitchers are so volatile, adding a closer is a finishing touch not the move you make to try to get to .500. Cano is 35 coming off an 80 game PED suspension. The chance of him regressing quickly is real. No way he is any better than last year. Ramos is an ok sigining. He basically gives the Mets what the Braves and Nats have at catcher. I do hate they were able to get Famila back.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonCowboy View Post
    Hand raised
    No one does or any of the weird arguments clv tries to die on a hill for

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    We did it with Freddie and it worked out very well.
    You don’t see the difference between Freeman and Haniger at the start of these rebuilds?

Here’s a hint: Freeman was 28 when the Braves finished the rebuild....Haniger?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    I think the Dodgers are letting Grandal look around a little bit before swooping I’m and signing him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Wasn't the consensus here the Mets' FO was incompetent a month or so ago?
    What's have they done to change my mind? Took on an awful contract to get a closer? The most overrated position in baseball? Seem pretty in incompetent to me still... and gave up prospects lol

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanieAntics View Post
    Take Chris Taylor out. Kike Hernandez. Made 104 starts and accumulated 462 plate appearances. Take away 14 of those starts to get to 90, and he still makes ~406 plate appearances. And where does 24 starts per position come from? That seems like a pretty arbitrary number to set.

I think you're seriously underestimating the amount and the significance of variance throughout a baseball season. You could easily plan to have Camargo get 75 starts next year and then have Donaldson get hurt for a month. Or Ozzie hit a cold patch or Dansby fall off offensively. Any number of things could and inevitably will happen to get Camargo to ~90 starts next year.

I also think you're underestimating the odds of Camargo getting playing time in the OF. Even if we sign Nick, I think we'd all agree that Duvall isn't exactly a slam dunk platoon for him. Camargo vs. LHP is absolutely a slam dunk. If we don't sign Nick and instead get Peralta or Joc, Camargo is a slam dunk Platoon for either them or Ender offensively.

If AA didn't think that Snitker were open to implementing his plan, then resigning him was an absolutely moronic move. I don't think that is the case. I think if AA explains the plan to Snitker, he wouldn't have a problem implementing it.
    Once a week at 2B, once a week at SS, once a week at 3B. 24 weeks in the season would presumably mean 24 starts at each position.

If you squeeze an extra 24 starts in LF or RF - whichever spot Markakis played - there's 96 games, certainly much better. Of course if Camargo replaced Markakis once a week (likely against the tough lefties), you more or less don't need Duvall - which I don't think would bother many people.

That's just it though - getting Johan the ABs playing on the grass is great (and something I think everybody supports), but also using him as your primary pinch-hitter eliminates the majority of ABs for one of Duvall or Culberson. This isn't necessarily a bad thing since I don't think there are many people that expect Charlie to put up the offensive numbers he did again, but you're more likely to see his ABs come at either SS or in LF. If Johan gets one start a week in LF and Culberson takes an occasional start as well, there's really no room for Duvall (which is fine too). The reason I question just how often the "plan" calls for Johan to get a start in the OF is that they didn't DFA Duvall - that's $3 million more that could have been spent on McCutchen or Brantley, and you could still have given Camargo starts out there - particularly if you brought in Brantley.

Hopefully that will still happen, and they'll realize Duvall is redundant if you plan to play Camargo in the OF against lefties. A trade for Pederson would work too since you could get extra ABs for Johan as a strict platoon partner for him.

You guys have to remember that part of what's made Snitker so popular with the players is that old-school Bobby "players' Manager" personality. Don't forget which veteran player threatened to take a swing at the brass when they had a problem with the way Snitker was doing things before - Markakis. Right or wrong, the two of them see things much the same way - so much so that Snitker even made Freddie take a day off last season before making Nick take one. Old-school guys aren't completely immune to change, and we saw improvement from Snitker last year in a lot of areas you'd likely never have seen Bobby budge - but they just aren't going to make ALL those adjustments without a little pushback. He's had an awfully successful 43 year career doing things the way he's always done them (and the way he was taught), and asking him to ignore all that success is asking a little much. I think most of us would just be thrilled to see him quit running Biddle and Freeman out there against lefties to start - when he does something like that enough to see that he can put a little more trust in what the numbers folks tell him, hopefully the other changes will come.
    Last edited by clvclv; 12-17-2018 at 06:18 AM.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    Why would Jogun start in center. If he was spelling Ender he would be in LF and Acuna would slog center
    He wouldn't - but that's where 32 of Taylor's starts came that Johan wouldn't get. That was the point.

Having tons of flexibility is awesome - but it does lead to problems when trying to get everybody consistent ABs. After the Dodgers got Machado, most of Taylor's starts had to come in CF - and the same will be true with Seager back. When that happens, Bellinger has to go back to 1B, meaning they have to sit Muncy. If you wanted to play Taylor on a corner, TWO of Puig, Kemp, and Pederson have to sit. If you play he or Muncy at 3B, Freese and Turner have to sit.

It's not a bad problem to have - it simply makes it really hard to get any other bench players consistent ABs when you're committed to getting your main super-sub 450 ABs. If the Dodgers sign or trade for a 2B, it becomes almost impossible to find consistent playing time for Hernandez if you're also trying to squeeze some ABs out of the position for Muncy as well.

That's my point about Camargo - if you sign Markakis (as you first mentioned) and Acuna slides over to CF to give Camargo an OF start on those days that you sit Ender, why even have Duvall? Whether the new metrics dictate it or not, Snitker's not likely going to sit TWO Gold Glovers on the same day, especially when one of the team's main focuses has been on improved defense. The numbers tell us Duvall's probably better out there, but he doesn't have the hardware - and that still means something to old-school guys.

Hopefully Camargo will be really good out there during camp and he'll impress Snitker enough to feel like he wouldn't be compromising all three positions defensively on those days - the weaker defensive CF in Acuna, the weaker defensive RF in Duvall, and the infielder playing out of position in Johan, but that's going to be a lot for him to have to wrap his head around for at least a while until he sees it consistently.
    Last edited by clvclv; 12-17-2018 at 06:51 AM.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Right. Snydergaards done nothing but produce 15 fWAR in basically 3 seasons worth of work. That's an average of 5 WAR per season if you're counting. He was also a big reason they made the WS in 2015. But yeah, he's cearly he's done nothing...

Do you even read stuff as you type it out?
    I'll ask again - what kind of trophy does he get for all those fWAR?

The Yankees won 100 games in 2018. What do they have to show for it? The Braves won 14 straight division titles - does anyone think that's going to be talked about 50 years from now other than as a piece of trivia by people who weren't around then? Maybe the 1995 team since you'll be able to find them on the list of World Series winners.

If a team he's on doesn't win a championship or he doesn't win a Cy Young, more people will know Dickey's name 50 years from now because his name is on one of those lists. There are tons of really good players - even some who actually have some big time hardware on a shelf in their office - that don't wind up in the HOF who never get talked about years later.

We know and talk about them because they were around during our time, but my brother's kids wouldn't know who Dale Murphy was if he introduced himself to them and I was standing beside him wearing my Murphy jersey.
    Last edited by clvclv; 12-17-2018 at 07:12 AM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    starting to think grandal may not cost as much as we initially thought. while he's more valuable than ramos, ramos' deal is short and less than $10M per. LAD have said they're open to re-signing grandal, but only for 1 year. if he could be had for, say, 3/36, seems like that should be the move. and that seems possible to me.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

Spring Training Invitee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts
    Take this with a grain of salt, but Steve Phillips said this morning that both the Braves and Mets moved on from Realmuto this week when each was told Realmuto wouldn’t be traded within the division. The Marlins also said they ‘want closure’ on the issue before Christmas.