Thread: 2018 Offseason And Targets

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    So The master plan is to let the riskiest assets in the game stew for one more year. ****ing brilliant

We have all these pitchers who will make scrap starts and some innings in the pen.... Throw some games in AAA. And we will be back here next year. Then we will get more promises about increasing payroll and how we are in on trades just to see low risk bull**** moves to appease the fans with promise of prospects gaining value again. More scared talk of value and how he didn’t want to just give guys away. All the while we piss away control of guys that can help us win.
    Yep, it's risky as hell to do this. Sure some prospects values will jump and some decline but some are at peak value now and unlike some, our window wont last forever.

Guys like Allard, Soroka, Wright, among some others values could plummet and AA will look like an idiot not trading them while they had some value.

So gonna have to put some of these chips at the poker table, and go for it.

Arbitration Eligible Freshmaker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    521 Posts
    Muller's got some good velocity going - hit 98!! on one of his fastballs here

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Freshmaker For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (01-26-2019)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Freshmaker View Post

Someone make sure Jeter sees this

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    521 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Someone make sure Jeter sees this

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    521 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    Yep, it's risky as hell to do this. Sure some prospects values will jump and some decline but some are at peak value now and unlike some, our window wont last forever.

Guys like Allard, Soroka, Wright, among some others values could plummet and AA will look like an idiot not trading them while they had some value.

Yeah, it's tough. AA improved the team over last year, but unfortunately 3 other teams in the division got a lot better. If he wants to give us a good chance of repeating he's going to have to make another move. The main reason we won the division last season is because we were so good against the rest of the East (49 - 27 vs East, 41 - 45 against everyone else). It's highly unlikely we're going to be repeat that given everyone's offseason moves so far, so AA's gotta make a decision on if he really wants to go for it or if he just wants to roll the dice and then be happy with the draft pick we get for Donaldson when he walks

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Yeah, it's tough. AA improved the team over last year, but unfortunately 3 other teams in the division got a lot better. If he wants to give us a good chance of repeating he's going to have to make another move. The main reason we won the division last season is because we were so good against the rest of the East (49 - 27 vs East, 41 - 45 against everyone else). It's highly unlikely we're going to be repeat that given everyone's offseason moves so far, so AA's gotta make a decision on if he really wants to go for it or if he just wants to roll the dice and then be happy with the draft pick we get for Donaldson when he walks
    Only thing i'll say with AA is we dont know what hes doing, whose he calling, etc.

Every deal Atl has made under AA comes right when it's done, so whatever move is next, assuming there is a next move will come outta the blue. There's no leaks with AA.

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    148 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    So The master plan is to let the riskiest assets in the game stew for one more year. ****ing brilliant

We have all these pitchers who will make scrap starts and some innings in the pen.... Throw some games in AAA. And we will be back here next year. Then we will get more promises about increasing payroll and how we are in on trades just to see low risk bull**** moves to appease the fans with promise of prospects gaining value again. More scared talk of value and how he didn’t want to just give guys away. All the while we piss away control of guys that can help us win.

I’m in agreement with a lot of what you say but I think most people are missing the bigger picture.
    Liberty media is clearly not putting much of the profit they’ve made back into payroll and that won’t change until they sell the team since like most corporations they only look at the bottom line and how much money they are making.
    It doesn’t matter to them how many years of team control we waste on Acuna or any other player.
    I read on here during the winter meetings that AA was called to Colorado to a meeting with the Executives about the budget and after hearing non stop about a payroll increase and how they just wanted to be smart but had plenty of money to spend all of the sudden we miss out on every corner outfielder we had been linked to.
    If they didn’t think they could help us or they didn’t want to have long term commitments then I’m ok with that.
    But some of these deals being signed are pretty good value and I think it’s pretty clear we are broke and it’s nothing AA or anyone else with the Braves can do to fix it.I’ll still hope we add a useful piece before the season and still think we will have a solid squad, I just won’t expect a big move and will be shocked and thrilled if we added one.
    Last edited by Buzzworm; 01-25-2019 at 11:40 PM.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    265 Posts
    Still too soon to worry. I’ll join in the bitching if we open the season with the current team we have.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Oklahomabrave For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (01-25-2019)

Anytime Now Frankie... tululush's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    180 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post

Yup. You’re right. Remember when Teheran was pitching like a solid 2 and we could have moved him? Now look at him. It’s always just as risky to wait too long to sell a player.

High School Draftee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Oklahomabrave View Post
    Still too soon to worry. I’ll join in the bitching if we open the season with the current team we have.
    I agree. And I still think there might be a plan to see what we need after we see who's not going to perform and get it midseason.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts

Once. And never located a breaker in the same zip code as the zone. Not sure that bodes well
    Ivermectin Man

Playing the Waiting Game blueagleace1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts
    Something that I haven't seen discussed that could have implications for us (and everyone else but especially us and the way we could choose to use our roster) is the fact that MLB is considering dropping the 10-day DL and going back to the 15-day.

This could put a damper on the AAA shuttle for our young starters to keep them fresh. Just something to keep an eye on IMO.
    "Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    521 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    180 Posts
    How does he grade out vs Ian Anderson, our prospect Jeter says is a must have? I know one is a pitcher and one is a catcher, but which is regarded higher?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,675 Posts
    If we lose out, Padres probably best team to lose to. Don't want dodgers getting him

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,487 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    If we lose out, Padres probably best team to lose to. Don't want dodgers getting him
    MLB top prospects rates Mejia #26 as a C/OF where Anderson is rated as #34

Mejia: Scouting grades: Hit: 60 | Power: 50 | Run: 40 | Arm: 70 | Field: 45 | Overall: 55

Originally signed out of the Dominican Republic in 2012, Mejia made headlines four years later when he authored a 50-game hitting streak, the longest in the Minor Leagues since 1963, spanning parts of four months and two levels. The breakout performance earned Mejia a selection as the World team's starting catcher in the 2016 SiriusXM All-Star Futures Game, and he went on to finish sixth in the Minors with a .342 average. Mejia only built on that success in 2017, as he was named Eastern League Rookie of the Year, received his first taste of the Majors at age 21 in September and then had a strong showing in the Arizona Fall League while learning a new position. But it will now be up to the Padres to further Mejia's development after they acquired him from the Indians for relievers Brad Hand and Adam Cimber during the All-Star break.

The switch-hitting Mejia has natural hitting ability from both sides of the plate. Though his approach is aggressive, Mejia generates consistently hard contact to all fields thanks to his advanced bat-to-ball skills and outstanding barrel control. His physical strength and bat speed generates sneaky raw power, especially from the left side, and he's tapped into it more regularly as he's climbed the ladder.

After catching almost exclusively during his first four seasons, Mejia spent the entire AFL working at third base and then split time between the outfield and catcher in 2018 as the Indians explored ways to get his bat into the lineup. That versatility could help him get everyday at-bats with the Padres, too, though for now the club appears intent on keeping Mejia behind the plate.

Anderson: Scouting Grades: Fastball: 60 | Curveball: 55 | Changeup: 55 | Control: 50 | Overall: 55
    Last edited by bravesfanforlife88; 01-26-2019 at 09:25 AM.
    Get off my lawn!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    180 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    MLB top prospects rates Mejia #26 as a C/OF where Anderson is rated as #34

Mejia: Scouting grades: Hit: 60 | Power: 50 | Run: 40 | Arm: 70 | Field: 45 | Overall: 55

Originally signed out of the Dominican Republic in 2012, Mejia made headlines four years later when he authored a 50-game hitting streak, the longest in the Minor Leagues since 1963, spanning parts of four months and two levels. The breakout performance earned Mejia a selection as the World team's starting catcher in the 2016 SiriusXM All-Star Futures Game, and he went on to finish sixth in the Minors with a .342 average. Mejia only built on that success in 2017, as he was named Eastern League Rookie of the Year, received his first taste of the Majors at age 21 in September and then had a strong showing in the Arizona Fall League while learning a new position. But it will now be up to the Padres to further Mejia's development after they acquired him from the Indians for relievers Brad Hand and Adam Cimber during the All-Star break.

The switch-hitting Mejia has natural hitting ability from both sides of the plate. Though his approach is aggressive, Mejia generates consistently hard contact to all fields thanks to his advanced bat-to-ball skills and outstanding barrel control. His physical strength and bat speed generates sneaky raw power, especially from the left side, and he's tapped into it more regularly as he's climbed the ladder.

After catching almost exclusively during his first four seasons, Mejia spent the entire AFL working at third base and then split time between the outfield and catcher in 2018 as the Indians explored ways to get his bat into the lineup. That versatility could help him get everyday at-bats with the Padres, too, though for now the club appears intent on keeping Mejia behind the plate.

Anderson: Scouting Grades: Fastball: 60 | Curveball: 55 | Changeup: 55 | Control: 50 | Overall: 55
    Thank you. So it looks like if they include Mejia that will trump our Anderson. We’d likeky have to have superior secondary pieces. But who knows if the Pads are even willing to include Mejia or if we’re willing to include Anderson. But if we both do, our offer isn’t as strong.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tululush View Post
    How does he grade out vs Ian Anderson, our prospect Jeter says is a must have? I know one is a pitcher and one is a catcher, but which is regarded higher?
    I thought the holdup was our unwillingness to include a current ML position player. If the holdup is Anderson, I see it getting done. I think AA would not let that stand in the way after all was said and done.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,487 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mfree80 View Post
    I thought the holdup was our unwillingness to include a current ML position player. If the holdup is Anderson, I see it getting done. I think AA would not let that stand in the way after all was said and done.
    I think if LA or SD are offering a top position player prospect, Miami would have have to decide what they need most...do they need a solid pitching prospect or position? My guess would be position...

I don't think we would offer Anderson AND Riley.
    Get off my lawn!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    not all FV 55 players are equal...I would take Mejia over Anderson and suspect the Marlins would too

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

bravesfanforlife88 (01-26-2019), buck75 (01-26-2019), jpx7 (01-26-2019)