Results 9,241 to 9,260 of 11579

Thread: 2018 Offseason And Targets

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    I still expect him to begin the season in AAA to manage his workload.
    Would making him the defacto 5th starter be enough to manage his workload with skipped starts, etc?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Would making him the defacto 5th starter be enough to manage his workload with skipped starts, etc?
    Very well could be.

However, I would make getting him onto a MiLB roster top priority as soon as possible. If that shoulder issue pops back up and he goes to the DL again, that DL stint needs to happen while he isn't burning MLB service time.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

gamecock4braves (02-15-2019), jpx7 (02-15-2019)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    passive voice
    10:15 Fans of which team(s) should be most frustrated with their offseason? I feel like 5 teams in the AL alone have an argument.
    Jeff Sullivan
    10:16 Going off the top of my head...Pirates? Twins? Indians? Braves? Rockies?

Yuck

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    Which businesses have gone under this offseason?
    Achies closed in November without much explanation. This was owned by a judge from the Top Chef tv show, Hugh Acheson, and received a lot of fanfare when it opened. Acheson also owns two other restaurants in The Battery.

FEED Fried Chicken + Such closed in December. Part of their explanation was blunt:
    "Unfortunately, organic traffic is imperative to the success of any restaurant. Outside of baseball games, traffic is much lighter at the Battery than expected."

I have heard that a couple of others are struggling to hold on until baseball season returns.
    Go get him!

Founding member of the Whiny Little Bitches and Pricks Club

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    passive voice
    10:15 Fans of which team(s) should be most frustrated with their offseason? I feel like 5 teams in the AL alone have an argument.
    Jeff Sullivan
    10:16 Going off the top of my head...Pirates? Twins? Indians? Braves? Rockies?

Yuck
    Luckily, time has proven that a) these guys don't really know anything, and b) offseason moves are almost always overemphasized.

Case in point:
    http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/1...tive-offseason

That was the first article I found for ranking MLB offseasons. Go check out the way those teams with the best offseasons did that year.
    "Acuna is getting lucky, just like CJ did when he batted .321 and won a batting title. He is unlikely to get lucky at the MLB level over an extended period of time. He will settle in around .300-.320 just like everyone else, and when he does, he won't be within shouting distance of the 1.000 OPS he is posting in AAA...more like low .700s in 2018." -Enscheff 8/25/17

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Luckily, time has proven that a) these guys don't really know anything, and b) offseason moves are almost always overemphasized.

Case in point:

That was the first article I found for ranking MLB offseasons. Go check out the way those teams with the best offseasons did that year.
    To be clear...you are comparing the FG writers to the hacks at ESPN?

Do you still think Allard is going to be good as well?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Makes one wonder all the more about the decision to keep Freeman when they're pinching pennies.
    Yeah they should have just signed him to the extension you advocated at this point right?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    Yeah they should have just signed him to the extension you advocated at this point right?
    haha, ouch.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    I was told extending Freeman would give the Braves more flexibility, not less.

So confusing...

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts

Case in point:

That article was 2015
    Coppy

NL Rookie of the Year Acuña’s Bat Flip's Avatar
    Gaffney, South Carolina (Home of the Big Butt "Peach" on I-85)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    280 Posts
    3. Craig Kimbrel and have entered the winter telling teams he wanted a six-year deal. That never came close to materializing. Kimbrel's winter has been a perfect storm of awfulness. Bad October. Draft-pick penalty for the team that signs him because Kimbrel turned down the one-year, $17.9 million qualifying offer. Understandable ask based on his history, but risky considering how teams today view closers. No clear fallback.

The Boston Red Sox make sense in almost every regard. He helped them win a World Series. Kimbrel put up a 2.44 ERA and struck out 305 in 184⅓ innings over three seasons for them. Most of all, the defending World Series winners' closing options consist of Matt Barnes, Ryan Brasier and a host of others who have not regularly pitched high-leverage ninth innings.

Here's where they don't make sense: Because the Red Sox are nearing the third threshold of the luxury tax -- their payroll is around $240 million, and the next tax level hits at $246 million -- the price of Kimbrel would be unreasonable, even for a team like Boston that clearly does not hesitate to spend.

Say Kimbrel wants a deal that averages around $17 million a year. That's what Wade Davis and Aroldis Chapman got. Boston pays a base tax of 30 percent on every dollar over the first threshold of $206 million and an additional 12 percent surtax on every dollar from $226 million to $246 million. Anything that takes them past the $246 million mark gets taxed 75 percent total.

So assuming the Red Sox are at $240 million, the first $6 million of a theoretical Kimbrel deal would cost about $2.5 million in taxes. And on the $11 million, Boston would pay an additional $8.25 million. In other words, a $17 million-a-year Craig Kimbrel deal for the Red Sox would cost them $27.75 million this year -- or a smooth three-quarters of a million more than the New York Yankees paid reliever Adam Ottavino for three years.

Look, Boston could say: "We won the World Series last year. We're flush with cash. Let's do it." But the Red Sox didn't earn that championship through a lack of discipline. It's why Kimbrel -- or ...

4. Dallas Keuchel for that matter -- makes plenty of sense for the Atlanta Braves: They do not have any luxury-tax penalties to worry about. Atlanta is one of those teams more than $75 million under the lowest threshold. With a new stadium and a rabid fan base, Atlanta is in prime position to strike after winning the NL East last season.

The Braves' strikes this winter have been more tactical and reserved than their opponents'. The Washington Nationals signed Patrick Corbin to a $140 million deal. The Philadelphia Phillies spent on talent (Andrew McCutchen, David Robertson) and traded for more (J.T. Realmuto, Jean Segura). The New York Mets overhauled their roster. Aside from signing Josh Donaldson, the Braves more or less look the same.

Kimbrel's potential return to Atlanta probably makes more sense than Keuchel going there, especially with an excess of young, electric starters in the Braves organization. Kimbrel spent his first five seasons in Atlanta. The Braves could use some stability in the closer role, held currently by the talented but often-erratic Arodys Vizcaino.

Atlanta has proved its affinity for short-term deals. Kimbrel may ultimately be resigned to taking one. It's a marriage that, on the surface, makes plenty of sense. Sort of like ...
    http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/2...lb-free-agency

SIAP.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    If you weren't going to transition some of the young SPs to the pen, sure. Locking up some of the pen arms made plenty of sense as a way to fix costs and save money for down the road.

If the decision has finally been made to turn some of the kids into relievers, Freeman's presence makes no sense. Apparently they're not going to be traded since including them in deals to upgrade other parts of the roster would be such shocking overpays, so it makes all the sense in the world to use them in that role since they're better Pitchers than Freeman - they're doing you no good in Gwinnett. The Braves were incredibly lucky to get through 2018 with no notable injuries other than the one to Soroka, that won't happen again - if you're not going to trade these guys you need to start getting something from them.

The Braves have almost exclusively operated under the premise that "once you're a SP, you're always a SP because we don't want you to lose value by sticking you in the pen." Maybe that stance is finally changing. If it is, keeping all the young arms makes plenty of sense if they're going to turn 3 or 4 of them into legitimate pen weapons - at that point, passing on all the relievers that have recently come off the board at reasonable prices makes plenty of sense. If AA's willing to give Snitker arms like Touki, Fried, Weigel, and Wilson to use later in games, it's not hard to see us with a lockdown pen - shortening games to 5 innings or two passes through the order. They've NEVER given any indication that was a possibility for the long run, and even DOB's post today doesn't indicate that's part of the plan - he said plainly that he hasn't been told that's an option.

If you put those MLB-ready arms in the pen, you'd still have Gohara, Wright, Anderson, Allard, and Parsons in Gwinnett with Wentz, Muller, Beck, and Davidson in Mississippi and you'd not only have no need for Freeman, you also wouldn't need to keep Carle, Jackson, or Dayton on the 40-Man Roster either.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozzie's Chainz View Post
    People still read ESPN as if they know anything about anything?

"They do not have any luxury-tax penalties to worry about. Atlanta is one of those teams more than $75 million under the lowest threshold. "

It made me chuckle to read anyone suggest the luxury tax is something the Braves even consider haha.

Oh no! We can't go over the luxury tax threshold. Oh, wait, we didn't even spend any money...never mind.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 02-15-2019 at 04:37 PM.

NL Rookie of the Year Acuña’s Bat Flip's Avatar
    Gaffney, South Carolina (Home of the Big Butt "Peach" on I-85)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    280 Posts
    People still read ESPN as if they know anything about anything?

"They do not have any luxury-tax penalties to worry about. Atlanta is one of those teams more than $75 million under the lowest threshold. "

It made me chuckle to read anyone suggest the luxury tax is something the Braves even consider haha.

Oh no! We can't go over the luxury tax threshold. Oh, wait, we didn't even spend any money...never mind.
    Passan usually has pretty good stuff but at this point in this totally crap offseason league wide speaking most outlets are just trying to throw **** up against the wall and see if it sticks. I definitely agree with your overall points, I’m just thirsty for any “news” possible like the media. The title of the alert was clickbait “Why Craig Kimbrel AND Dallas Keuchel could be fits for the Braves” then you read the article and he suggests CK makes the most sense.
    Last edited by Acuña’s Bat Flip; 02-15-2019 at 04:52 PM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,487 Posts
    rumor circulating around the internet from a washington beat writer that harper has chosen where to sign with. may be revealed tomorrow.....

of course it is only a rumor and not the first time we have heard it...
    Get off my lawn!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    rumor circulating around the internet from a washington beat writer that harper has chosen where to sign with. may be revealed tomorrow.....

of course it is only a rumor and not the first time we have heard it...
    hearing its

35% chance Braves
    30% chance Dodgers
    25% chance Reds
    25% chance Padres

please check my math
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (02-15-2019), The Chosen One (02-15-2019)

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    Hoping for a big year out of him. Also hoping that the decide to keep Gohara as a starter where he has the most value. If he can prove to have a good spring and/or first half, then he becomes a more valuable trade piece (talking about Gohara)...
    Not sure i'd trade Gohara if he figures it out, he has as good as stuff as anyone in the Braves organization. His stuff is electric.

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozzie's Chainz View Post
    Doubt we'd sign either but you could dump Freeman, Viz for some cap savings if you signed Kimbrel. Braves have a surplus of arms that not sure Keuchel makes a ton of sense.

Spring Training Invitee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    53 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    hearing its

35% chance Braves
    30% chance Dodgers
    25% chance Reds
    25% chance Padres

please check my math