Page 127 of 579 FirstFirst ... 2777117125126127128129137177227 ... LastLast
Results 2,521 to 2,540 of 11579

Thread: 2018 Offseason And Targets

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    If all these rumors are true, the NL East could be incredibly brutal next year.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    What could a possible Segura package look like if the Phillies also send Carlos Santana back in the deal?

Maybe something like Crawford, Adonis Medina, Adam Haseley, and Luis Garcia? I think that'd probably be a fair swap. A young SS with some upside, a top 60ish pitching prospect, a high 45/low 50 OF prospect relatively close to the majors, and a high upside 18 year old infielder. That'd be my best guess. Maybe I'm overvaluing how much Santana going back will increase the haul.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts
    The Ms appear to be doing everything they can to free up tons of payroll for the 2021 season. Everything they have done has moved money into the next 2 seasons.

That’s when Trout will be a FA.

Arbitration Eligible Freshmaker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    522 Posts
    Trout will only be 29 going into the '21 season...could make sense

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,991 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    The Ms appear to be doing everything they can to free up tons of payroll for the 2021 season. Everything they have done has moved money into the next 2 seasons.

Maybe I missed it, but I'm interested to hear your thoughts on a Haniger deal that includes a Seager salary dump.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post

Trout isn't going to sign in Seattle tho
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

Arbitration Eligible Freshmaker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    522 Posts
    Seager had a .673 OPS in his age 30 season for a cool $19M. I personally want no part of Seager - dude has 4 years left on his contract (someone posted the '22 option flips from team to player after a trade). I wouldn't do that deal if it was Haniger and Seager for a bag of baseballs

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,989 Posts
    Only way I do a Haniger/Seagar deal is if the M's pick up close to half the contract and take back Julio and O'Day. That'd give us enough flexibility this off-season to still make moves.

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    I wouldnt pick up Seager just to get Haniger, thats an awful contract that will be damn near impossible to move. Unless they take on Julio and O'Day, absolutely not. I'd just give them the prospects to get Haniger by himself, assuming he's actually available now.

Havent seen anyone credible say Santana is in the Segura trade, but if he is, they better be getting back alot of prospects. JP Crawford has been very underwhelming to say the least. Dont they get Sixto, Medina would be a nice add if he's in it.

Arizona Fall Leaguer braves31win's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    Do the M's hate the Braves if they are taking on Santana's contract to help throw more money at Harper/Machado?

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    The M's taking on Santana does not make any sense to me.

I think more teams would be interested in Segura without having to take on a contract like Santana.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chico View Post
    The M's taking on Santana does not make any sense to me.

I think more teams would be interested in Segura without having to take on a contract like Santana.

only reason to take on Santana would be to get a bigger prospect package as far as I can tell. I don't see how Segura has an underwater contract. It looks fine.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Southcack77 For This Useful Post:

Chico (12-03-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,991 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Freshmaker View Post
    Seager had a .673 OPS in his age 30 season for a cool $19M. I personally want no part of Seager - dude has 4 years left on his contract (someone posted the '22 option flips from team to player after a trade). I wouldn't do that deal if it was Haniger and Seager for a bag of baseballs
    Not that I disagree about wanting him (unless there are some very specific circumstances) but he also had the lowest BABIP of his career last year. If they took Julio/O'Day and kicked in a healthy amount of cash, I could certainly take him... with that cash thrown in, its much more likely he could be flipped considering he's a pretty good defender. I mean, he had an under .700 OPS and still put up 1.6 fWAR. I think going foward, he's most likely going to fall in the range of a 2.5-3.5 WAR player.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,364 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    Not that I disagree about wanting him (unless there are some very specific circumstances) but he also had the lowest BABIP of his career last year. If they took Julio/O'Day and kicked in a healthy amount of cash, I could certainly take him... with that cash thrown in, its much more likely he could be flipped considering he's a pretty good defender. I mean, he had an under .700 OPS and still put up 1.6 fWAR. I think going foward, he's most likely going to fall in the range of a 2.5-3.5 WAR player.
    Where would you play him. 2nd? Move oz to SS or even platoon?
    Coppy

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,364 Posts
    I wonder if Seager is going to go to Philly in the trade. Santana money would make sense at that point.
    Coppy

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Looking at teams who need a 3B who are actively trying to upgrade their roster there aren't many teams out there. The Pirates and Twins stick out. The Padres may be interested if they trade Myers. The Cards don't seem all too sold on Gyorko for whatever reason.

If we took on Seager in a Haniger trade, I think we'd have a hard time flipping him, especially with everyone knowing we'd need to flip him. It would have to be a 3 team deal, IMO. Those are hard to complete.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    I wonder if Seager is going to go to Philly in the trade. Santana money would make sense at that point.
    The Phils are looking to trade Franco, so yes taking on Santana in turn for the Phils taking on Segura and Seager makes more sense than the M's taking on Santana in a Segura swap.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    I wouldnt pick up Seager just to get Haniger, thats an awful contract that will be damn near impossible to move. Unless they take on Julio and O'Day, absolutely not. I'd just give them the prospects to get Haniger by himself, assuming he's actually available now.

Havent seen anyone credible say Santana is in the Segura trade, but if he is, they better be getting back alot of prospects. JP Crawford has been very underwhelming to say the least. Dont they get Sixto, Medina would be a nice add if he's in it.

If someone is feeling charitable, what is a good market rate surplus value calculation on Haniger.

If the Braves ate Seagar to get him, maybe something that would send Teheran and/or O'Day back to make the cost roughly zero in payroll terms in 2019 could make it doable. Braves then could be active in looking for a new home for Seagar or consider just plugging him in at 3B in 2020. Not ideal but doable.

And if you are then calculating the value provided by the two together with respect to the total outlay of dollars it probably is a positive contribution to the team at least in the first two years. As Haniger gets more expensive and Seagar possibly declines you might get to an inflection point.

Not a great long term deal, but could make the Braves a lot better in the short term and also perhaps reduce prospect cost. A risk.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chico View Post
    The Phils are looking to trade Franco, so yes taking on Santana in turn for the Phils taking on Segura and Seager makes more sense than the M's taking on Santana in a Segura swap.
    I had not considered that. If the Phils are all in what's the downside to them taking back Seagar. He's better than Franco.

They could drastically improve the left side of their defense in one stroke and probably improve both positions offensively at the same time. Moving Hoskins back to 1B, improves their OF no matter who they get.

Would still have payroll flex to go after Harper or whatever other OF they felt like going for.

They've hurt their payroll down the road, but they have money and they've opened probably a championship window. Ouch, let's hope they do not do this.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ9 View Post
    Rosenthal says Segura to Phillies is lined up, pending Segura waiving his no trade clause. Hate that, he’s a good player.
    The scary thing about this is that when you combine it with their ability to take on money, Philadelphia is lined up perfectly to make a play for Haniger and then spend their "stupid money" on pitching instead of Harper/Machado. They could have the pieces to pull it off as well. If Seattle is that desperate to move Seager's contract, the Phillies actually make a lot of sense as a trading partner. Now that they've got Segura, they will want to move Kingery back to his natural position at 2B. Klentak could offer them a starting 2B (Cesar Hernandez), a starting 3B (Franco), another OF (Nick Williams), an almost-ready Haniger "replacement" (Adam Haseley) and a Top 100 arm (Medina) for Haniger and take ALL of Seager's money. Suddenly the Phillies would have...

Segura, Kingery, Haniger, Hoskins, Herrera, Seager, and the money to spend on whatever OF, C, SP, and RP they want. If they'd spend smartly on needs rather than the biggest names for the fans, it wouldn't be out of the question to see them also add Pollock/Brantley/McCutchen, Grandal, Corbin/Happ/Keuchel, and a Closer. Not sure they'd have the restraint to do it, but that foursome shouldn't cost more than signing Machado and Harper would have.
    Last edited by clvclv; 12-03-2018 at 10:30 AM.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?