Results 10,341 to 10,360 of 11579

Thread: 2018 Offseason And Targets

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mossy View Post
    Looking at Harpers stats today, I have to say in my opinion he's not worth such a mega deal. Flame me if you want, but I'm glad we didn't get suckered into that mess.

Is he great? Sure. Would I love him in RF? You bet. But I can't be mad. Bryce is a great player, but he does have his issues at times.

I do qualify all of this by hoping JD has a monster year and stays healthy.
    he hasn’t been a top player in the league outside 2015. he still could up monster numbers. but he’s definitely at least a little overrated.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    I would say the Phils will regret giving him that contract but the Mariners will just bail them out when it becomes an albatross.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to striker42 For This Useful Post:

The Chosen One (02-28-2019)

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    What exactly is the point in position by position comps? As if having 1 more WAR at C is equivalent to having 4 more WAR at LF?
    Scientifically, everyone knows that you get one point if you're better at that position and whoever has the most points at the end wins. WAR only serves as the tiebreaker.

NL Rookie of the Year Acuña’s Bat Flip's Avatar
    Gaffney, South Carolina (Home of the Big Butt "Peach" on I-85)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    280 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonCowboy View Post
    CBS: Braves May go after Dallas Keuchel

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/m...h-kris-bryant/
    We may HAVE to if this bad luck with our Starting Pitchers continues.
    FKA Ozzie's Chainz

Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Got to take the L sometimes.

I've been used to it over the years.
    Braves / Panthers / Lakers / Hornets / Clemson / Duke Basketball

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,274 Posts
    CBS: Braves May go after Dallas Keuchel

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/m...h-kris-bryant/
    The author behind that link is not very good at reading tweets.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozzie's Chainz View Post
    We may HAVE to if this bad luck with our Starting Pitchers continues.
    Nah...we have plenty of guys to fill in.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    The author behind that link is not very good at reading tweets.
    Lol what an idiot.

Bowman tweets, “The ailments Folty and Gausman are dealing with have not concerned the Braves to the point where they are now thinking about Keuchel”

And that author writes, “Atlanta is "now thinking about Keuchel" after starting pitchers Mike Foltynewicz and Kevin Gausman are dealing with elbow and shoulder soreness, respectively.“

How are most of these writers still employed?

Outskirts Of Mobile, Alabama. Roll Tide!!!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,775 Posts
    Chopping With The Braves And Rolling With The Tide

Outskirts Of Mobile, Alabama. Roll Tide!!!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,775 Posts
    Chopping With The Braves And Rolling With The Tide

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    148 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsehide Harry View Post
    Exactly. That's why I say that the fact that the Braves didn't come close to playing on either Harper OR Machado (not that I think they should have) is an indicator that payroll is unlikely to increase significantly relative to where they are now. If $30M makes up 25% of your payroll, it's an issue if payroll doesn't grow.
    Bingo!
    Enjoy Acuna while you can because he will get one of these mega contracts when he’s allowed to and the Braves are pretty much implying they can’t afford/(Won’t cut into there profits) a deal like that.
    I heard Dave Scholfield? on ESPN ripping the Braves for not adding more this winter and while it’s debatable if they should have done more , I thought he made a good point in saying that since we now have the report out showing how much the Braves made the last fiscal year and how much they’ve spent this offseason, that he doesn’t believe they will be able to capitalize on having a great young core since our revenue went up and payroll is staying the same.I thought he made a good comparison saying we were very similar to Houston in market size and talent from a few years ago but he doesn’t think our owners will add the necessary pieces like they did.I hope he’s wrong and next offseason we add some money to the payroll but I’d say he’s pretty spot on...

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzworm View Post
    Bingo!
    Enjoy Acuna while you can because he will get one of these mega contracts when he’s allowed to and the Braves are pretty much implying they can’t afford/(Won’t cut into there profits) a deal like that.
    I heard Dave Scholfield? on ESPN ripping the Braves for not adding more this winter and while it’s debatable if they should have done more , I thought he made a good point in saying that since we now have the report out showing how much the Braves made the last fiscal year and how much they’ve spent this offseason, that he doesn’t believe they will be able to capitalize on having a great young core since our revenue went up and payroll is staying the same.I thought he made a good comparison saying we were very similar to Houston in market size and talent from a few years ago but he doesn’t think our owners will add the necessary pieces like they did.I hope he’s wrong and next offseason we add some money to the payroll but I’d say he’s pretty spot on...
    True. My point is the Braves could obviously afford ONE $30M contract this year, if you're only talking about one year - they signed Donaldson and Neck ~$29M combined and they have at least some cash left. So, 2019 wasn't the issue. You could have had Harper or Machado either one in 2019. The problem is that those guys don't get one year deals, they get 10 year deals.

The wisdom of signing either could be debated since the $30M deal for one player would make up ~ 25% of the total payroll (forgetting a moment that Donaldson's deal makes up about 20%). But still, the numbers work in 2019. The danger arises in 2020. 21, 22, ets and beyond where other players become more expensive but a theoretical Harper would still be taking up 25% of the payroll. Certainly a valid point, but only if the payroll stays static or nearly so. If the payroll were to rise, say to $150M, in 2022 then Harpers theoretical contract would only be 20% of total payroll, no longer 25%. And say it goes to $180M in 2024, then it's 16.7% and so on. So the idea of having an aging vet taking up too much of your payroll is really only relevant if payroll is expected to remain relatively static OR the contract is backloaded, growing at a rate equal or greater than overall payroll growth.

In other words, the moves made this year are only relevant to this year IF payroll is really expected to grow in future years.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    If San Fran signed Harper...everyone would be fine. It’s just because he went to the Phils. I never wanted Harper. He’ll hit some dingers in that little lark for sure, but no thanks.

I truely believe Donaldson will have a better year (at least for next year).

The way Pache and Waters are looking though... I can’t blame them too much for signing a stop gap. I would rather see Neck for a year and a half and Pache/Waters for the next six. I would really like to hold onto both of those guys. Either/both could be stars.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to TheBravos For This Useful Post:

TheRunningAgent (03-01-2019)

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    What a lot of you guys are realizing is that the Braves are currently strapped with debt and its difficult to greatly expand payroll under those conditions. The hope is that the revenue generated from the new park and the battery will allow us to pay off the debt as soon as possible, thus allowing us to move beyond a 120-130 million dollar payroll.

I don't know how long that will take, how far it will go up, or even if it will happen, but that is the hope. Just because we didn't expand payroll this year doesn't mean that we won't in the future.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanieAntics View Post
    What a lot of you guys are realizing is that the Braves are currently strapped with debt and its difficult to greatly expand payroll under those conditions. The hope is that the revenue generated from the new park and the battery will allow us to pay off the debt as soon as possible, thus allowing us to move beyond a 120-130 million dollar payroll.

I don't know how long that will take, how far it will go up, or even if it will happen, but that is the hope. Just because we didn't expand payroll this year doesn't mean that we won't in the future.
    The braves revenue jumping rhe way it did last year is certainly a good sign. Hopefully this continues and allows the Braves to jump in payroll in the near future. Maybe thethe was right all along.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post
    If San Fran signed Harper...everyone would be fine. It’s just because he went to the Phils. I never wanted Harper. He’ll hit some dingers in that little lark for sure, but no thanks.

I truely believe Donaldson will have a better year (at least for next year).

The way Pache and Waters are looking though... I can’t blame them too much for signing a stop gap. I would rather see Neck for a year and a half and Pache/Waters for the next six. I would really like to hold onto both of those guys. Either/both could be stars.
    i think

Donaldson
    Freeman
    Acuña

will each out-WAR Harper next year.

Albies is also a legit shot.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,676 Posts
    It'd be pretty sweet if Harper pulled a JHey after getting this big deal.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to msstate7 For This Useful Post:

DirkPiggler (03-01-2019), Freshmaker (03-01-2019)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanieAntics View Post

Then DD and McDork should have said that and not we can shop anywhere. **** them
    Coppy

21. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

DirkPiggler (03-01-2019)

Arizona Fall Leaguer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    37 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    Then DD and McDork should have said that and not we can shop anywhere. **** them
    This...I think the issue for most of us and what ticks us off is the fact that both said we could "shop in any aisle" and had the prospect capital to make any deal. If that's not the case, saying nothing would have been better, or at least saying they planned to make a few deals but no big splash.

On BBA's Top 100 Prospects List PurpleBrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    110 Posts
    Atlanta doing their best Pittsburgh Pirates impersonation. They could win the division easily if they choose to play like a mid-tier payroll team instead of a bottom tier

NL Rookie of the Year CrazyTrain's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    191 Posts
    First guy that comes to my mind is Madison Bumbarner. Giants are very unlikely to contend and they may dangle him at the deadline to get some youngsters. I also look at Arizona having a tough season possibly. If that happens, Archie Bradley is one I’m watching for. I know some may say Greinke, but that may still this year be a tough one to deal.
    Apparently MadBum is back in the 93mph range with his fastball in his first spring start, which was a mixed bag overall, but if his fastball can return to near career norms he's suddenly a CYA candidate again.