Results 5,281 to 5,300 of 11579

Thread: 2018 Offseason And Targets

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,856 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    They absolutely do (dig the long ball). Hit one with a calculator.

Teach them the numbers - right after you make the case that Maddux and Glavine aren't HOFers because of the metrics.
    1) The ones with the calculators now hire/fire those who hit the long balls

2) Nobody has ever made that argument Mr. Strawman

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    1) The ones with the calculators now hire/fire those who hit the long balls

2) Nobody has ever made that argument Mr. Strawman
    They absolutely do. Congratulations.

Good luck maintaining interest from people watching you punch keys when every person on the planet is capable of that.

Once you provide something EVERY other person reading a message board or understanding how to format a spreadsheet can't, you'll have accomplished something.

The numbers absolutely don't lie - but you guys aren't rocket scientists, sorry. We can find FanGraphs without much help.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    clv i honestly feel like most of your arguments have to be jokes.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts

Teach them the numbers - right after you make the case that Maddux and Glavine aren't HOFers because of the metrics.
    they are both HOFers based on metrics. thank u, next.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    I think he can be an above average hitter, particularly in the first half. He's already a fit for the team culture and he should be someone who can be brought back cheaply without much commitment.

In the absence of a big move, I prefer him to most of the second and third tier options who would be costly to acquire in trade that are being thrown around. It's a low risk move that keeps all the Braves powder dry. And the Braves have at least two other internal options for the position in Duvall and Camargo that give them other options headed into the summer acquisition period.

I have the sense that people either don't believe some of these lower tier options would cost much in trade (certainly not as much as their surplus value calculations) or they undervalue some of the assets the Braves would be sending away. Sometimes in reliance on their overvaluing their potential replacements.
    low risk and very low reward. he will very very very likely be between 1 and 1.5 WAR. if he were seen as a decent chance to be ~2.5 his market would be robust. he won’t be. you don’t bet or project but that’s who he is regardless of his good 3 months in the last 4 seasons. a team that’s truly trying to compete wouldn’t be doing well to have him as a starting OF.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    I

I totally understand that folks who want to see the previous three years as a steady decline. I'd just ask for some explanation of how a player in steady decline suddenly reverses that decline. PEDs?

i pose this question to you. how does a 34 year old suddenly get better? not much changed in his overall hitting profile. so what magically got better? was it the first month of 8.7% Ks and ~15% BBs that held him up? where do you see that he improved to drop his k rate by 5% after it had steadily inclined for 4 years straight? betting on that being re-found skill over a fluke is how bad teams are run.

he was for a fact in steady decline. makes sense for a player his age. so what changed other than some flukey months? can you cite anything?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts

Are you drunk?

No analyst has ever suggested those guys aren’t HoF players.

You just keep getting dumber.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,991 Posts

Good luck maintaining interest from people watching you punch keys when every person on the planet is capable of that.

Once you provide something EVERY other person reading a message board or understanding how to format a spreadsheet can't, you'll have accomplished something.

The numbers absolutely don't lie - but you guys aren't rocket scientists, sorry. We can find FanGraphs without much help.
    I give you credit... just when I think you can't say anything dumber, you usually prove me wrong. What the hell are you even trying to argue right now? You're bat sh*t crazy. I have no doubt you can find Fangraphs but you certainly and clearly don't understand how to interpret the statistics. You prove that multiple times a day.

I'm also still trying to find out what Dan Uggla is contributing to your argument. He wasn't very good with the Braves but he was very very good... All star level with the Marlins. What's bad about someone like that on the team? What's hysterical is you trying to compare 30 year old rule 5 drafted Dan Uggla to 25 year old first round, former top prospect Gallo. If Gallo had not any success I'd say the pedigree wouldn't matter but it absolutely does because he's already had a pretty high level of success as a 25 year old in the majors. You're comparing degrading 30 year old Uggla to 25 power monster before he's even entered his prime. Uggla had some big power but he couldn't touch Gallos... .300 ISO... that is a whole other level and it's weird you can't appreciate that from a 25 year old former top prospect. Also... of course you should ignore his infield defense... he wouldn't be playing infield. Was that a serious comment? His outfield D is not s SSS and he's a very solid above average fielder with a rocket arm... a much better defender than Uggla. How do you even press enter on these posts? Good lord.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,991 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Are you drunk?

No analyst has ever suggested those guys aren’t HoF players.

You just keep getting dumber.
    I'm also still trying to figure out what this has to do with anything. Can't win argument so bring in something the argument has nothing to do with and is absolutely ridiculous to get the focus off how dumb his posts are? Remind me to never by a house sold by him "is that asbestos?" "What even is that silly made up word you're asking me about... do you hate children? Here have a cookie"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,991 Posts
    The thing that is really odd is we haven't even made any random tiny minor league moves in weeks

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    clvclv posts like this man shoots:

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Clv right now:

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,856 Posts

Well we have people on here thinking Neck doesn't suck so clearly every other person doesn't understand it

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,991 Posts
    Well we have people on here thinking Neck doesn't suck so clearly every other person doesn't understand it
    "The numbers don't lie... I just don't know what they say... guess I'll use my eyeballs instead. But ehh... I'll just watch the replays..."

This is all gold

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Neck doesnt suck but it would be an underwhelming move given the options available this winter.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    They talk about the potential of a Gallo trade on the newest Talking Chop podcast.

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    I'm thinking the Braves could align with the Reds, assuming the Braves still have some money to spend. They are looking for a CF. The Braves could go for a Pollock 4/60 and trade Inciarte to the Reds for OF Winker, C Tyler Stephenson and 3B Jonathan India.

Then trade Fried,Gohara & Allard to the Yankees for Gray and Frazier.

Follow with a Wilson, Riley & Wentz to the Marlins for JTR.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Lol, after listening to the podcast I'm convinced that they read through this thread before going live.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to BeanieAntics For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (12-28-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsehide Harry View Post
    I'm thinking the Braves could align with the Reds, assuming the Braves still have some money to spend. They are looking for a CF. The Braves could go for a Pollock 4/60 and trade Inciarte to the Reds for OF Winker, C Tyler Stephenson and 3B Jonathan India.

Then trade Fried,Gohara & Allard to the Yankees for Gray and Frazier.

Follow with a Wilson, Riley & Wentz to the Marlins for JTR.
    no way the reds would give up all that for inciarte...throwing in India makes it a huge no.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    low risk and very low reward. he will very very very likely be between 1 and 1.5 WAR. if he were seen as a decent chance to be ~2.5 his market would be robust. he won’t be. you don’t bet or project but that’s who he is regardless of his good 3 months in the last 4 seasons. a team that’s truly trying to compete wouldn’t be doing well to have him as a starting OF.
    That's not even slightly the point I have been making.

I prefer Markakis at 6m, plus Duvall, plus Camargo, plus the other uses for the remaining free agent money, plus opportunity to upgrade later, if necessary, with a more satisfying player in the summer over giving up real assets for Joey Gallo or Max Kepler or CarGo or many other of the suggested alternatives. I don't find this as a particularly upsetting outcome.

Camargo, for example, simply repeating last season at the plate would be worth about 2.4 wins with average defense in LF. It's entirely possible that he's better at the plate next year than in 2018. that's not even that unlikely an outcome though I do think utility man is preferable to starting OF for him.

I think people are putting too much importance on this position and it is causing them to overvalue flawed options and undervalue the alternatives and costs of the acquisition of these flawed options.

If the Braves end up getting Haniger or Peralta, I'll probably be happier with that outcome than I would be with Markakis. Just as I am disappointed they did end up with Brantley. I just don't see it being particularly likely.