Thread: 2018 Offseason And Targets

Arbitration Eligible Freshmaker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    521 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    Since December 2015:

Cargo 98 wRC+ vs righties away from coors.

26 wRC+ vs lefties away from Coors.

Negative defender.

I’d rather sign most anyone else.
    Yeah just use Riley-if-not-traded if Cargo's the best we can do for cOF

NL Rookie of the Year Acuña’s Bat Flip's Avatar
    Gaffney, South Carolina (Home of the Big Butt "Peach" on I-85)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    280 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    I believe wRC+ control for ballpark. Cargo is pretty similar to Muk.
    CarGo is younger and likely cheaper. The eye test tells me he's probably better than Neck at this point and we could move on and upgrade the rotation and stop dreaming about acquiring Haniger or Gallo.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Aside from your proposed Peralta offer, none of those are particularly appealing. I think you are overestimating the value of these players, especially given the market. Newk for Gallo should be almost completely a wash value wise.
    Doesn't this speak to just about EVERYBODY at this point?

It's a really tough adjustment - especially for old-schoolers - but hopefully AA's extreme patience (as far as fans see it) hopefully pays off. It's just terribly hard being a fan when you see so many obvious upgrades either slipping through his fingers and/or left out there (so far) when you know *amn well he has the pieces (and finances for once) to go get them.

Everyone was thrilled - and rightfully so - when he first came in and said he needed to be patient and make sure he got a better handle on the system before making big trades. The problem for a lot of us is, he ought to have a handle on who his "untouchables" are by now - and given the depth in the system, it's hard to stomach not overpaying a bit when there are obvious answers that can help make the big club legitimate contenders when the acquisition cost won't completely scrap the system. Everybody's antsy because there's been no news. Maybe he's working on a monster deal, maybe not - but if he overpays a little with prospects rather than signing a player with obvious holes to a contract he can't get out from under when all these prospects are ready in a year or so is it really that big a deal?

You could make the argument that he could've already met the asking prices for BOTH Realmuto and Haniger or Peralta and still have enough arms to replace Julio and Gausman as well as Inciarte in a coupe years. Would he have overpaid on paper to do so? Sure, but how good would you (anyone) feel right now if we were waiting for camp to open with a roster that looked like...

Acuna, Donaldson, Freeman, Realmuto, Haniger/Peralta, Albies, Inciarte, Dansby

Mac, Camargo, Culberson, cheap RH OF

Folty, Gausman, Newk/Fried/Gohara, Julio, Touki/Soroka

and possibly a little money left to add a pen piece that slips through the cracks???

Would that cost Wright, Anderson, Riley, Pache, Wilson, and Allard? Probably. Maybe a little more or less, but would everybody really be losing sleep over it considering how much wealth you personally have invested?

If so, you might want to revisit how much value you place on the entertainment in your life.
    Last edited by clvclv; 12-28-2018 at 09:50 PM.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

NL Rookie of the Year Acuña’s Bat Flip's Avatar
    Gaffney, South Carolina (Home of the Big Butt "Peach" on I-85)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    280 Posts
    CarGo didn't re-sign until early March before this past season. The longer we wait it seems more and more like an AA move as the days go by.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozzie's Chainz View Post
    CarGo is younger and likely cheaper. The eye test tells me he's probably better than Neck at this point and we could move on and upgrade the rotation and stop dreaming about acquiring Haniger or Gallo.
    Exhibit A as to why the eye test is really really bad most of the time. The offseason would be an absolute unequivocal failure if here were in the outfield on opening day. The past two years he has had a low to mid .600s OPS away from Coors Field. He's just not a viable option for us.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    CarGo didn't re-sign until early March before this past season. The longer we wait it seems more and more like an AA move as the days go by.
    Lol Cargo doesn't seem like an AA move at all. Its more like a Dan Duquette or Dick Williams move.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    Cargo may be younger on paper... but he's a walking bandaid... well can barely walk... he can't play away from Coors... if you think he's better than Markakis I don't know what to tell you other than your eyeball test fails on many levels

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    No it really doesn't... if anything it looks like last resort plan Z... AA has something much better planned than freaking Cargo and if he doesn't we are in big trouble

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Back to the grienke peralta parring. Sports track has him with 60 million in deferrals. Anyone know what his cost would be if Atlanta took the full deal and zona kept the deferred money

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    Back to the grienke peralta parring. Sports track has him with 60 million in deferrals. Anyone know what his cost would be if Atlanta took the full deal and zona kept the deferred money
    Greinke is being paid 32M per year over 2019-2021, of which 11M per year is deferred.

I've long thought a deal along these lines made sense for both teams: Teheran and Newk for Peralta and Greinke (with the Dbacks paying the deferred money).
    Last edited by nsacpi; 12-29-2018 at 02:00 PM.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    21 million per year over 3 years for Greinke is very reasonable. Rather pay Greinke 63 million than Corbin 140 over 6 or Keuchel 100 over 5 years.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

clvclv (12-29-2018), JohnAdcox (12-29-2018), jpx7 (12-30-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    I'd rather do the Greinke deal at 21 per for 3 years also. He seems pretty durable so age doesn't really scare me with him. Saw where the Marlins were still demanding one of Forrest or Tucker from the Astros. If I were them i'd go after Grandal instead.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    just trade for peralta if you want peralta.

Greinke is just a dumb thing to do.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts

I'd rather just do a deal for Peralta. Not sure the Dbacks are open to that on reasonable terms.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (12-29-2018), jpx7 (12-30-2018)

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts

Unless you’re trying to reduce the impact of your prospect cost.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mqt For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (12-29-2018), jpx7 (12-30-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts

Why is it dumb? He's still a 3-4 win pitcher. And at 3 years, the risk is mostly mitigated. He'd instantly be our best pitcher if we acquired him.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

clvclv (12-29-2018), jpx7 (12-30-2018)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    I'd rather do the Greinke deal at 21 per for 3 years also. He seems pretty durable so age doesn't really scare me with him. Saw where the Marlins were still demanding one of Forrest or Tucker from the Astros. If I were them i'd go after Grandal instead.
    Astros probably offered Forrest Tucker.

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

buck75 (12-29-2018), JohnAdcox (12-29-2018), The Chosen One (12-29-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Why is it dumb? He's still a 3-4 win pitcher. And at 3 years, the risk is mostly mitigated. He'd instantly be our best pitcher if we acquired him.
    I’d love to hear your ideas as to how the Braves could afford to add both Peralta and Greinke.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,676 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    I’d love to hear your ideas as to how the Braves could afford to add both Peralta and Greinke.
    Bonds

25. The Following User Says Thank You to msstate7 For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (12-31-2018)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Doesn't this question - as well as Southcack's - come down to whether AA's willing to push a lot of chips in to take a shot with a shorter window???

Project salary levels all anyone wants, it's complete speculation since we honestly haven't the slightest clue as to what number Alex has been given to work with. That goes for everyone.

Setting caps that make sense when you're on the outside is the easy part - truth be told, we have absolutely no clue how motivated to win the people in charge for setting those limits on behalf of Liberty Media are. It's just as possible they're as convinced that winning a Championship adds to the value of the franchise if their plan is to sell within the next few years as anything. They also could've given AA a hard number and told him "that's it - we don't care how close you are".

What we do know is that they've gone higher than expected before when they brought in Santana after Medlen and Beachy blew out their arms - AND the numbers from the new stadium and surrounding revenue streams are very promising plus they're much closer to the next TV contract at this point. That may not make any difference at all, but it could. The TV deal is up in 8 years - if they're looking to sell in 5, how much value would a Championship within the next 3 years add to their expected return? Would they give AA that kind of extra flexibility now? Who knows? There's no doubt the situations are entirely different, but the next time someone with intimate knowledge of what Liberty's plans are posts here will be the first time.

I think it's hilarious to see posters constantly say they "know" these things. If AA was able to get rid of Julio and Duvall's salaries as part of (or in separate) deals to bring serious upgrades in, nobody here knows. Is it unlikely? Probably, but we honestly just don't know - and anybody that tells you they do is just as full of *hit as anyone else.
    Last edited by clvclv; 12-29-2018 at 08:45 PM.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?