Results 8,701 to 8,720 of 11579

Thread: 2018 Offseason And Targets

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    We are all perfectly capable of believing that Braves might underperform. At the end of the day, you can't control who gets hurt or who has a bad year. You can do your best to contain the risk, but your damn Marwin Gonzalez scenarios are no more likely to pan out just because they fit your own pleasure spot than other things. I mean really.
    The "decidedly below average off season" has absolutely nothing to do with Marwin Gonzalez, Madison Bumgarner, or any of plenty of other ideas you'd like to hang on me - AA flopped, and The Blackjack Dealer is exactly right in saying anyone trying to make excuses and frame this winter differently is simply an apologist and blind AA follower.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Nice omen -

Lindor out 7-9 weeks with a calf strain.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    So the 2nd best offensive catcher in MLB who is elite at framing to handle a young pitching staff, and signed for a bargain 1 year deal isn't a perfect fit?

Meanwhile, a recently injured 3B on the young side of 30 for 20%+ of the payroll when Camargo and Riley are already in house is a perfect fit?

I suppose we have reached the point in the off season where the Braves apologists are out in full swing trying to defend a decidedly below average off season.
    I agree with you on Grandal.

But is Donaldson for one year a clearly superior move to relying on Camargo as your starting 3B and then just waiting and hoping Riley is ready and immediately good at some point? Of course.

Don't be dumb just to make a point.
    "Acuna is getting lucky, just like CJ did when he batted .321 and won a batting title. He is unlikely to get lucky at the MLB level over an extended period of time. He will settle in around .300-.320 just like everyone else, and when he does, he won't be within shouting distance of the 1.000 OPS he is posting in AAA...more like low .700s in 2018." -Enscheff 8/25/17

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    I could have **** in a bucket and stuck it in RF and we would have been better than last year. Being better than last year is not what I wanted. I wanted to be better than everyone this year.

And it wasn’t what we were promised either. Keep drinking the coolaide and DD will keep doing just enough to keep you happy.
    Coppy

5. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

clvclv (02-08-2019)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    The OF is projected to produce ~7 WAR total.

That is unacceptable for a contending team with resources to burn at the beginning of the off season who already had a huge head start with the NL ROY playing in the OF for free, no matter how folks insist on spinning it.

Ending up with Markakis as an everyday cOF was a failure, period.
    What do you think the smart available moves to improve that OF were?
    "Acuna is getting lucky, just like CJ did when he batted .321 and won a batting title. He is unlikely to get lucky at the MLB level over an extended period of time. He will settle in around .300-.320 just like everyone else, and when he does, he won't be within shouting distance of the 1.000 OPS he is posting in AAA...more like low .700s in 2018." -Enscheff 8/25/17

NL Rookie of the Year CrazyTrain's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    191 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    I agree with you on Grandal.

But is Donaldson for one year a clearly superior move to relying on Camargo as your starting 3B and then just waiting and hoping Riley is ready and immediately good at some point? Of course.

Don't be dumb just to make a point.
    Can't believe I'm defending Enscheff here, but you can't look at the Donaldson signing in a vacuum. No matter how you try and spin it, that money could've been better used elsewhere.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    I could have **** in a bucket and stuck it in RF and we would have been better than last year. Being better than last year is not what I wanted. I wanted to be better than everyone this year.

And it wasn’t what we were promised either. Keep drinking the coolaide and DD will keep doing just enough to keep you happy.
    Do you have an extra 30 million to help out?

NL Rookie of the Year CrazyTrain's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    191 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    What do you think the smart available moves to improve that OF were?
    Pollock? Brantley?

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyTrain View Post
    Can't believe I'm defending Enscheff here, but you can't look at the Donaldson signing in a vacuum. No matter how you try and spin it, that money could've been better used elsewhere.
    The Braves bought wins under market value so I doubt it that much.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Shouldn't need it - AA said clearly he has plenty of money and prospects left.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Shouldn't need it - AA said clearly he has plenty of money and prospects left.
    So what happens when you offer fair value for a player but the other team says no?

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Do we need 30 million to top Neck. I mean we were told payroll would go up. Just didn’t tell us it was going up by one million dollars.
    Coppy

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    A little more than funny that everyone's suddenly allergic to commitments for more than 1 or 2 years yet they expect Acuna and Albies to not only continue to perform and even improve over the next 5 years. Injuries can happen to them just as easily as they can happen to anyone else - ask Lindor.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    Do we need 30 million to top Neck. I mean we were told payroll would go up. Just didn’t tell us it was going up by one million dollars.
    Mark Bowman told you payroll was up and you believed him

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    So what happens when you offer fair value for a player but the other team says no?
    Obviously depends on how badly you NEED the player.

Would I overpay to have Haniger in RF instead of the great value sign that is Markakis? *amn right, and I'll bet you I'm not even close to being in the minority.

Just realized that the entire front office staff gets upgraded company cars if AA comes in under budget.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts

I guess you sign a cheaper option and wait till next year. Or you pony up more if it can help you win. Wonder if the cubs regret over paying for their World Series title.
    Coppy

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Going back and reading through this thread and the JD thread back when he was signed is very interesting.

Everyone was pretty excited about adding a legit MVP candidate on a 1 year deal, with Camargo still around as an insurance policy.

We all could see they had to punt C with Mac to make it happen, but we also assumed they still had a big move left in them for cOF, so we all figured the offense was still going to see a substantial improvement overall.

Then we saw guys sign for deals the Braves should have been involved in. Over an over.

Then we realized the Braves didn't have anywhere close to "at least $60M to spend".

It's interesting to see the concern slowly creep into the threads as folks started to realize we were going to be stuck watching Markakis in RF again because AA jumped on JD early and blew his wad too soon.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    A little more than funny that everyone's suddenly allergic to commitments for more than 1 or 2 years yet they expect Acuna and Albies to not only continue to perform and even improve over the next 5 years. Injuries can happen to them just as easily as they can happen to anyone else - ask Lindor.

Nobody is allergic to commitments over 1 or 2 years. But some players are worth doing that over others.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    The Braves bought wins under market value so I doubt it that much.
    correct...there is an implicit gamble which is whether one of Camargo or Riley can play the outfield...I think it was a gamble worth taking considering the great price AA got on the three guys he signed
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Mark Bowman told you payroll was up and you believed him

Numerous quotes from DD saying he could spend. Even after JD.
    Coppy

22. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

clvclv (02-08-2019)