Results 8,801 to 8,820 of 11579

Thread: 2018 Offseason And Targets

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyTrain View Post
    There's nothing worse than a guy who wants to dish it out, but can't accept being wrong.
    'Yes, I was wrong. But, you see, he ended up being better than I thought he would be. So...I wasn't actually wrong. You get it.'
    "Acuna is getting lucky, just like CJ did when he batted .321 and won a batting title. He is unlikely to get lucky at the MLB level over an extended period of time. He will settle in around .300-.320 just like everyone else, and when he does, he won't be within shouting distance of the 1.000 OPS he is posting in AAA...more like low .700s in 2018." -Enscheff 8/25/17

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    I predicted Acuna to be able to sustain a .340 BABIP in the majors. You called me a moron for that. You were wrong.
    I have Acuna with an xBABIP of .313 in 2019, so we will see how it shakes out. It's a bit early to proclaim he's able to sustain .340+.

Good to see you and the sales engineer have buddied up though haha. Thank you for adding this fun wrinkle to the board!

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,974 Posts
    Last I checked this is the same FO that let Nick play 162 last year, all the while playing horribly for the entire 2nd half of the season. What's changed since September?

I have no doubts that Camargo and Duvall will play a decent amount, even though I seem to remember that the Camargo playing OF statement was made prior to resigning Nick, but I still expect Nick to cruise past 100 games played and not reach 1.5 WAR.
    They traded for Duvall at the deadline, which suggests they believed Neck wasn't likely to maintain his performance/stay healthy and wanted some insurance. Also not a coincidence that they targeted a RHH.
    Unfortunately, Duvall fell flat on his face.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

Jaw (02-08-2019)

NL Rookie of the Year CrazyTrain's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    191 Posts
    No doubt, we absolutely could have cashed in some chips and made more improvements. The question is always (especially so for a team with the financial reality the Braves are in) how much to cash in now and how much to protect for the future. No one has the answer to that on the front end, so everything is a bit of a guessing game and involves risk. Anyone who pretends differently is insane.

If you cash them all in, you're probably going to be screwed longterm. If you don't cash any in, you're probably not going to win as many games in the short-term and may never fully get off the ground into competing territory. So you're balancing somewhere in the middle. But just because we didn't cash in many chips doesn't mean the FO believes we are rebuilding. It means they've decided that based on our options, we were better off being conservative now to hopefully have more reinforcements later.

We still have those pieces that we could cash in at the trade deadline...we could still make a move before the season...we could have some of those guys ready to help out in 2019...there are plenty of scenarios where holding onto pieces does not equal a rebuild.

I think Camargo will get a ton of PA. Whether it's 450 or 550, I don't really know. But he'll probably get about 50 starts just between Donaldson and Dansby being banged up or sitting. Markakis may get more rest this year than he's used to. And if Camargo keeps playing well enough, he'll force himself into a spot somewhere in the lineup on a daily basis.
    Absolutely, I just expected us to at least add one arm via a trade to bring some experience the rotation. Not to go all in, but to remain competitive and keep momentum. 450-500 is my expectation for Camargo, but a regular player gets something like 6-700 PAs.

I dunno how long you've been following my posting, but I'm extremely sour on both Newk and Fried and believe that if we don't move them this offseason, they'll be further exposed, thus losing lots of value. That's the problem with waiting with some of these guys is that value isn't static, it can change by the hour and you don't want to be the one left holding the bag. I could be wrong, but I just don't see how improve enough to be viable rotation pieces on a contender.

I'm worried that we are going to be too timid to make moves that maximize value from our own prospects.

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    148 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    Can't really see why ownership would have objected to overpaying in prospects for Realmuto.

Would not have exploded the payroll and would have made fans happy.

Was talking about the Nick and Brian signings not Realmuto.
    Adding Mccann was fine after adding JD as long as they added a legit corner outfielder like Brantley or Polllack or traded for someone of similar value.
    Instead they went cheap with Nick who is in decline and now once again we only have 4 legit hitters in our lineup that teams will worry about.
    FF,Acuna,JD,Ozzie.I know we have Johan to plug in half the time and hopefully Dansby will reach his potential but the facts are we have 4 above average regulars now.
    That’s not good enough.
    But regardless I will watch and hope for the best but I’m not gonna make excuses as to why we either fail to make the playoffs or get swept out in short order.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    I'm shaking.
    Let's start with your defense of Allard way back in 2017 when i said he wasn't going to be good haha.

http://www.chopcountry.com/forums/sh...l=1#post424928

You think they would have a guy who averages around 90 on his fastball anywhere in the top 100?
    So...what are your thoughts on Allard now, hero? Is this helping you build your resume for admittance into the Twits?

This is going to be fun!

NL Rookie of the Year CrazyTrain's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    191 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    They traded for Duvall at the deadline, which suggests they believed Neck wasn't likely to maintain his performance/stay healthy and wanted some insurance. Also not a coincidence that they targeted a RHH.
    I thought they signed Duvall to platoon with Ender, not to supplement Nick's playing time. If they were worried about Nick, they sure didn't show it, no matter how bad he played. Duvall might've fallen on his face, but he couldn't have been any worse out there than Nick was in the 2nd half.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    The Duvall trade was to platoon with ender. Not Neck
    Coppy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,675 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Let's start with your defense of Allard way back in 2017 when i said he wasn't going to be good haha.

So...what are your thoughts on Allard now, hero? Is this helping you build your resume for admittance into the Twits?

This is going to be fun!
    What'd he say in 1999?

If you had to go back that far, he must have a good record. I'm sure I post something stupid daily or at least weekly

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    What'd he say in 1999?

If you had to go back that far, he must have a good record. I'm sure I post something stupid daily or at least weekly
    You are from Mississippi so we grade your comments on a curve and it slides up to just dumb. Not stupid.
    Coppy

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    What'd he say in 1999?

It's just where I started looking. I'm sure there will be plenty others once I get some more time.

It will be fun watching him and the other Twits team up! Derrrrrrppppp!

Heyyyyyy Smoooooot!!! How good is Allard?? Derrrrrpppppp!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,675 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    You are from Mississippi so we grade your comments on a curve and it slides up to just dumb. Not stupid.
    Thanks guys

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to msstate7 For This Useful Post:

bravesfanMatt (02-08-2019), clvclv (02-08-2019), Jaw (02-08-2019), The Chosen One (02-08-2019)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts

Stated plan for Duvall was to platoon with Inciarte, spell Markakis some, and be a bench bat.

he did suck though and Snitker never implemented the platoon.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Here's my honest opinion:

Obviously a lot will depend on Donaldson's health. If he can be Josh from two-three year ago, then we have three legit MVP candidates in JD, Freeman and Acuna. Albies should again be an all star candidate. Ender hopefully bounces back to being an above average hitter. Catcher should come in at about league average. RF and SS will be below average to bad, I'm afraid. Swanson REALLY needs to break out for us to have a chance.

So that means 3 elites, 1 pretty damn good, one fairly good to average, one average and two below average to bad.

Seeing the moves that the Nats, Mets and Phillies have made so far (which doesn't count that one of Harper/Machado or both come to the East), I think we have the 3rd best offense in the East. Our pitching staff will likely be worse than the 12th best that they were last year (if we don't sign anyone), which puts them squarely at league average to slightly below average. The defense is top 5. Bullpen should be slightly above average if Minter / Viz can lock up the 9th fairly well. Hard to know how good Camargo will be in an uncertain role compared to what we got out of Charlie and the rest of the bench last year, but you can consider the bench to have an upgrade.

I think we'll win around 80 games and be in competition for the final wild card spot, but missing by a few games. So a fringe playoff contender, finishing 3rd in the East.

I wanted them to sign Brantley. When I saw what Brantley signed for I would have done that. Not sure they could have had him for that though. Probably had to top it.

I wouldn't mind upgrading the 3 spot in the order and pushing everyone else down. Failing that, I'd like to upgrade Teheran and dump whatever of his salary they could. I'm not low on Newcomb. I think he has no-hit stuff. while he may never be an ace, It think he's a fine 4 or 5.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,675 Posts
    Who is the favorite for Harper now? If padres get him, do they trade Myers or renfroe? If nats get him, do they trade Eaton? Would we interested in any of these guys?

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Who is the favorite for Harper now? If padres get him, do they trade Myers or renfroe? If nats get him, do they trade Eaton? Would we interested in any of these guys?
    I still think it's the Phillies. Although it's possible they shifted to JTR if they know they are out on him.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    I still think it's the Phillies. Although it's possible they shifted to JTR if they know they are out on him.
    I think it is more likely they shifted to JTR to show they are committed to winning. I would be shocked if he is not a Faillie
    Coppy

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post

This is going to be fun!
    LOL dude, I'm a moron. I'm a random guy with over 6,000 posts on a Braves message board, you think I'm going to be nailing things left and right?

If you want to spend your time searching for instances where I was wrong, be my guest. But I can save you the time and go ahead and tell you I've been wrong a bunch and will continue to be.
    "Acuna is getting lucky, just like CJ did when he batted .321 and won a batting title. He is unlikely to get lucky at the MLB level over an extended period of time. He will settle in around .300-.320 just like everyone else, and when he does, he won't be within shouting distance of the 1.000 OPS he is posting in AAA...more like low .700s in 2018." -Enscheff 8/25/17

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to smootness For This Useful Post:

Garmel (02-09-2019), Jaw (02-08-2019), NYCBrave (02-09-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    Why is so much time spent arguing about whether someone was right or wrong in past opinion based statements made about a local sports team?

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to striker42 For This Useful Post:

Jaw (02-08-2019), NYCBrave (02-09-2019), salmagundy (02-08-2019)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    Why is so much time spent arguing about whether someone was right or wrong in past opinion based statements made about a local sports team?

25. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

bravesfanMatt (02-08-2019), buck75 (02-09-2019), clvclv (02-08-2019), Freshmaker (02-08-2019), Jaw (02-08-2019), NYCBrave (02-09-2019), striker42 (02-08-2019)