Page 369 of 579 FirstFirst ... 269319359367368369370371379419469 ... LastLast
Results 7,361 to 7,380 of 11579

Thread: 2018 Offseason And Targets

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    AA has completely failed this offseason IMO. Donaldson was a good pick up, but not enough to get us over the edge...

We won the damn division last season, but instead of making us better, we were stagnant...
    he bought 6 wins for 30m....pretty good work in my book

2. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

BedellBrave (01-25-2019)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyTrain View Post
    I honestly wish we would've upgraded the OF with the JD $, kept Johan at 3rd and signed Marwin for super utility.
    As far as cOF goes that guy wasn't available in FA. You had the superstar in Harper (who's production honestly matches up with what I'd want to go after long term but the hype behind him pushes him way out of our price range) and then a bunch of low-end guys like Brantely and McCutchen. There was no Justin Upton available this off season.

Honestly there is nothing wrong with holding serve (JD and Neck on a 1 year deal) constitute that and reassessing next year when more long term options that fit what the Braves are looking for (mainly 3B) are available.

It can be frustrating to not really make true additions but the team as is can/will contend for the playoffs.

Spring Training Invitee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    43 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    They have added more wins by throwing stupid money at certain players. The Cutch and Corbin signings are two of the poorest values of the off-season. The gnats and fillies have bigger budgets than we do. Fortunately they are being stupid about how they spend it.
    I really don’t care as a fan what kind of value other teams get. The only thing I care about is if they win more games than Atlanta. Nobody gets a prize for being the most cost effective.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,488 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 4maddux_cy's View Post
    I really don’t care as a fan what kind of value other teams get. The only thing I care about is if they win more games than Atlanta. Nobody gets a prize for being the most cost effective.
    Asking the fan to spend more money per ticket, while the team refuses to spend more on the team is frustrating
    Get off my lawn!

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyTrain View Post
    Wasting all that payroll on Donaldson looks really foolish here.
    I think the odds are heavily in favor of Donaldson being a better player than Pollock in 2019. There is a very good chance that he ends up being the best FA bat next year.

I'd much rather pay him 23m for one season than pay Pollock 14.5 with basically a buyout on the end.

the only thing that would convince me that Donaldson was a bad decision would be Machado or Harper singing with another team for something like 3/84 or 2/60. And that's not going to happen, I don't think.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    If Machado ends up taking anywhere close to $200M, the JD signing was a mistake. I'm not sure AA could have predicted that, but he should have been able to see the 3B/Util market was deep and a bargain was bound to be present late in the off season. Jumping on JD early probably wasn't the best decision, but at least it didn't add any long term risk.

Whether or not this off season was a failure depends on what the stated goal was...

If the goal was "create a 90+ win roster to defend the NL East in 2019", then this off season grades out around a D+/C-.

If the goal was "create a playoff contender in 2019 while sacrificing as few 2020+ wins as possible", then it grades out as a B+/A-.

Both grades can obviously still change with additional moves.

I was personally hoping AA would strike a little better balance between those 2 goals, but I can't be too upset with how things currently stand. This team should be playing meaningful games into September, and that's the realistic goal of teams with a $120M payroll.

Arbitration Eligible Freshmaker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    521 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    Asking the fan to spend more money per ticket, while the team refuses to spend more on the team is frustrating
    Here's a timely AJC article about that

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    696 Posts
    I feel like the media and many fans would be over-the-moon with the Braves' offseason if AA had signed a 4-5 WAR position player to a massive 8-9 year contract plus a draft pick. He's instead signed a 4-5 WAR position player to a 1 year contract that may allow us to add a draft pick, and a lot of folks seems non-plussed.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dak For This Useful Post:

BedellBrave (01-25-2019), Braves1976 (01-25-2019), jpx7 (01-25-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,676 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dak View Post
    I feel like the media and many fans would be over-the-moon with the Braves' offseason if AA had signed a 4-5 WAR position player to a massive 8-9 year contract plus a draft pick. He's instead signed a 4-5 WAR position player to a 1 year contract that may allow us to add a draft pick, and a lot of folks seems non-plussed.
    If AA signed JD this week with markakis, I think it would viewed more positively too.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to msstate7 For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (01-25-2019), Freshmaker (01-25-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    521 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 4maddux_cy's View Post
    Kind of how I feel. It's good for us when others get poor value since it takes them closer to the luxury tax threshold that seems to be acting as a soft cap (and why the Dodgers, Cubs, Red Sox etc are hesitant to go out and buy a Harper or a Machado). I like that we get 6 wins for 30M, that is definitely good value. If the Nats but, say 10 wins for 80M (just throwing out a number) that may be the difference for them to win the division and us staying home

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Freshmaker View Post
    Kind of how I feel. It's good for us when others get poor value since it takes them closer to the luxury tax threshold that seems to be acting as a soft cap (and why the Dodgers, Cubs, Red Sox etc are hesitant to go out and buy a Harper or a Machado). I like that we get 6 wins for 30M, that is definitely good value. If the Nats but, say 10 wins for 80M (just throwing out a number) that may be the difference for them to win the division and us staying home
    This is true. But those are the issues with being a mid market team with a low payroll. Maximizing good value for the Braves is really important.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    521 Posts
    Off-topic: Find it amusing that the spend-stupid-money Phillies are taking Nola to arby over $2.25M after the season he had

The Phillies and Aaron Nola have not had any “substantive” discussions regarding a long-term contract extension, writes Matt Gelb of The Athletic in a much broader exploration of Nola’s contractual status and pending arbitration case (subscription required). The two sides are facing a $2.25MM gap between the $4.5MM at which the Phillies filed and the $6.75MM at which Nola and Paragon Sports filed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    521 Posts
    Rumblings from Bowman

If Ronald Acuna Jr. feels comfortable in the leadoff spot, and he thrives in that spot, what would be the point of making him bat cleanup?
    -- @cggraham02

Acuna's second-half surge was fueled by mechanical adjustments (mainly hand placement) made the week before the All-Star break. The fact he thrived upon moving to the leadoff spot was just a coincidental effect of those adjustments.

Now, Acuna is set to draw fewer plate appearances if he does indeed move to the cleanup spot. Based on last year's Braves numbers, the 20-year-old phenom would draw 47 fewer plate appearances than he would in the leadoff role.

Braves manager Brian Snitker is leaning toward this arrangement because he doesn't want a hole in the fourth spot of his lineup. Donaldson could hit there, but his preference is to bat second. The Braves won a division with Markakis filling that spot, but doubling down on a 35-year-old outfielder who produced a .701 OPS in last year's second half is not a gamble Snitker seemingly wants to make.
    In October, you said the Braves had $50 million to $60 million to spend this offseason. With $30 million committed, what is a general plan for the remainder of the offseason?
    -- @johnny_utah13

As we near the start of Spring Training, it appears the available funds were closer to $50 million. My current projection is they are willing to spend approximately $15 million more this offseason and save some of their flexibility for potential in-season acquisitions. I'll admit my projection in October was off by a few million because I anticipated Adam Duvall and Sam Freeman would be non-tendered.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    So which one of the guys here who thought Freeman and Duvall would be cut is actually Bowman?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,676 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    So which one of the guys here who thought Freeman and Duvall would be cut is actually Bowman?
    Did they get cut?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Off-topic: Find it amusing that the spend-stupid-money Phillies are taking Nola to arby over $2.25M after the season he had
    The Phils are going to lose this arb hearing. The current non-Keuchal record for 1st time arb for a pitcher is Willis at $4.35M way back in 2006...13 years ago. The Phils are insane to think Nola will only be awarded a trivial increase over that 13 year old figure.

Mashin' to Mississippi
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    102 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    There is reason to believe it is Encheff. (JK, I couldn't resist.)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    We all understand that Donaldson's comfortable in the 2 hole, but Acuna and Freddie are the franchise. If Acuna wants to leadoff, that's where he hits IMO. Doesn't appear to be an issue since he said he'd hit wherever Snitker wants him to at Chop Fest, but if I'm giving someone their way, it's the Manchild.

Of course a Realmuto addition fixes everything.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Spring Training Invitee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    43 Posts
    Here's a timely AJC article about that
    This article just enraged me even more. Team is way more profitable but payroll remains stagnant. Lovely.

Mashin' to Mississippi
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    102 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    The Phils are going to lose this arb hearing. The current non-Keuchal record for 1st time arb for a pitcher is Willis at $4.35M way back in 2006...13 years ago. The Phils are insane to think Nola will only be awarded a trivial increase over that 13 year old figure.
    It really is puzzling. The Phils are the ones who proudly announced their intent to spend stupid money. Perhaps they don't want to limit their stupidity to what they spend to the exclusion of what they don't, although I think they'll still spend it. I would think they will lose, as you imply.