Page 480 of 579 FirstFirst ... 380430470478479480481482490530 ... LastLast
Results 9,581 to 9,600 of 11579

Thread: 2018 Offseason And Targets

NL Rookie of the Year Acuña’s Bat Flip's Avatar
    Gaffney, South Carolina (Home of the Big Butt "Peach" on I-85)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    280 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    I mean it's not an awful lineup but the rotation is a much bigger concern.
    Didn't they use the bullpen game against us twice last year? I can't remember if it was in one series but one was played in San Diego for sure.
    FKA Ozzie's Chainz

Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Got to take the L sometimes.

I've been used to it over the years.
    Braves / Panthers / Lakers / Hornets / Clemson / Duke Basketball

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    280 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 4maddux_cy's View Post
    I actually like that idea. Almost similar to the Mets paying Bobby Bonilla forever. Lol. It’s definitely something to consider.
    We're still paying a pitcher that we signed when I was three years old and I'm now 37.
    FKA Ozzie's Chainz

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    For Kimbrel he wouldnt be able to retire for 20 years which then plays havoc on his HOF criteria. Not sure any player would sign up for that or that the league would allow it.
    Coppy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    280 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    Margot.
    I saw him play in Greenville a few years ago, very impressive defensive range, the only way the ball is hit over his head is if it leaves the park. We'd have a sick defensive OF but it seems like he needed some work with plate discipline, I haven't followed his career close enough since then to know if he improved in that area.
    FKA Ozzie's Chainz

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    For Kimbrel he wouldnt be able to retire for 20 years which then plays havoc on his HOF criteria. Not sure any player would sign up for that or that the league would allow it.
    Players can retire whenever they want, and get bought out of their contract.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Serious question that is off topic a bit...

High revenue teams are worried about staying under the luxury tax, but essentially have unlimited money. This is why the Red Sox are unlikely to sign Kimbrel.

What is stopping the Red Sox from giving Kimbrel a 20/85 contract ($85M over 20 years) to lower the AAV hit to essentially nothing as far as the luxury tax calculation is concerned?

These FA contracts for players in their 30s are likely their last payday anyways, so why not just sign them for the rest of their lives...literally?
    Give him an opt out too. That way he can re-enter next year without a pick attached.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,481 Posts
    ? Have you heard of Bobby Bonilla?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Wil Myers suddenly becomes a potential trade target so SD can go cheap in the OF. He is currently owed $64M through his age 31 season broken down as follows:

2019 (28): $3M
    2020 (29): $20M
    2021 (30): $20M
    2022 (31): $20M
    2023 (32): $20M option, $1M buyout

He currently projects as a 2 win LFer who will put up a slightly above average batting line with 20-25 HRs and positive base running metrics (including ~20 SBs).

There isn't a lot of defensive data on him, but based on UZR and his good speed, he appears to be an above average LFer, so it stands to reason he should be at least roughly average.

Assuming he projects for ~2 wins for each of the next 4 seasons, and using the more recent FA value of $8M per win, he holds roughly zero surplus value.

Myers appears to be a poor man's Haniger, and would make Duvall completely expendable, which saves the Braves ~$3M. Adding him should cost very little in terms of prospect capital, and would slot in nicely in the 4 hole behind Acuna/JD/Freeman.

Something like Myers plus cash for an MLB-ready pitching prospect not named Anderson/Soroka/Wright/Touki/Gohara (think Wilson) seems like a logical way to add another good bat to the roster. Some scenario involving Newk or Teheran, followed by signing Keuchel/Gio also seems plausible.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 02-19-2019 at 06:32 PM.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    ? Have you heard of Bobby Bonilla?
    Bobby was deferred. Basically saying we agree to pay your salary just over time at X interest rate. Him getting paid till 2035 has nothing to do with his original contract. Now like cheff said he could get bought out. But then I don’t know if that money counts right then towards luxury tax. So if they owed 65 million when he wanted to retire. Would that 65 million buyout go against the tax that year.

But I think the rule is if a player voluntarily retires, he forfeits his contract remaining.
    Coppy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,481 Posts
    Bobby was deferred. Basically saying we agree to pay your salary just over time at X interest rate. Him getting paid till 2035 has nothing to do with his original contract. Now like cheff said he could get bought out. But then I don’t know if that money counts right then towards luxury tax. So if they owed 65 million when he wanted to retire. Would that 65 million buyout go against the tax that year.

But I think the rule is if a player voluntarily retires, he forfeits his contract remaining.
    I’m aware what Bonilla’s situation was, but if you’re going to agree to sign a deal like the one Enscheff is proposing at Kimbrel’s age, I’m pretty sure you’re going to have a stipulation in the contract about retiring.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Wil Myers suddenly becomes a potential trade target so SD can go cheap in the OF. He is currently owed $64M through his age 31 season broken down as follows:

2019 (28): $3M
    2020 (29): $20M
    2021 (30): $20M
    2022 (31): $20M
    2023 (32): $20M option, $1M buyout

He currently projects as a 2 win LFer who will put up a slightly above average batting line with 20-25 HRs and positive base running metrics (including ~20 SBs).

There isn't a lot of defensive data on him, but based on UZR and his good speed, he appears to be an above average LFer, so it stands to reason he should be at least roughly average.

Assuming he projects for ~2 wins for each of the next 4 seasons, and using the more recent FA value of $8M per win, he holds roughly zero surplus value.

Myers appears to be a poor man's Haniger, and would make Duvall completely expendable, which saves the Braves ~$3M. Adding him should cost very little in terms of prospect capital, and would slot in nicely in the 4 hole behind Acuna/JD/Freeman.

Something like Myers plus cash for an MLB-ready pitching prospect not named Anderson/Soroka/Wright/Touki/Gohara (think Wilson) seems like a logical way to add another good bat to the roster. Some scenario involving Newk or Teheran, followed by signing Keuchel/Gio also seems plausible.
    I think his contract is 5.5, 22.5, 22.5, 22.5. Then the 20 option.
    Coppy

Lynchburg Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts
    Myers seems too expensive for our pocket

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    I think his contract is 5.5, 22.5, 22.5, 22.5. Then the 20 option.
    I'm guessing you are looking at BRef, which spreads his signing bonus out over the duration of the deal for some odd reason (likely because that's how luxury tax calculations are handled). A signing bonus, by definition, is paid upon signing the deal, so that part is already paid.

He is controlled through his age 32 season and owed $65M if traded due to a $1M assignment bonus.

https://www.mlb.com/news/padres-wil-...ct/c-213477458

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Perfect Cell View Post
    Myers seems too expensive for our pocket
    $3M in 2019 is affordable, and prospect capital can be used in order to make SD include some cash.

The Braves could spread the money out to make it something like $12M-$15M per season depending on how much SD kicks in.

Certainly not the ideal solution for LF, but Myers is younger than Brantley and Cutch, so maybe they would be willing to commit to him for 4 years.

Probably not though. Maybe Franmil or Renfroe are better targets, even if they are less certain.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,481 Posts
    $3M in 2019 is affordable, and prospect capital can be used in order to make SD include some cash.

The Braves could spread the money out to make it something like $12M-$15M per season depending on how much SD kicks in.

Certainly not the ideal solution for LF, but Myers is younger than Brantley and Cutch, so maybe they would be willing to commit to him for 4 years.

Probably not though. Maybe Franmil or Renfroe are better targets, even if they are less certain.
    Not a deal I see AA making, but I’d prefer Myers over anyone else at available ATM, and probably more than Neck. That’s assuming Haniger and Peralta aren’t being dealt.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    SD would love to dump Myers so they could sign Harper I’m sure. If they pay 3-5 million a year of that deal and took Teheran back (they need pitching) I’d do it. He would be the cleanup hitter we need and would probably show more power in Atlanta.
    Last edited by Hudson2; 02-19-2019 at 07:21 PM.

Spring Training Invitee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    43 Posts
    Serious question that is off topic a bit...

High revenue teams are worried about staying under the luxury tax, but essentially have unlimited money. This is why the Red Sox are unlikely to sign Kimbrel.

What is stopping the Red Sox from giving Kimbrel a 20/85 contract ($85M over 20 years) to lower the AAV hit to essentially nothing as far as the luxury tax calculation is concerned?

These FA contracts for players in their 30s are likely their last payday anyways, so why not just sign them for the rest of their lives...literally?

You guys having me hoping we make a move again. Lol. Cmon AA.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    SD would love to dump Myers so they could sign Harper I’m sure. If they pay 3-5 million a year of that deal and took Teheran back (they need pitching) I’d do it. He would be the cleanup hitter we need and would probably show more power in Atlanta.
    Is petco bigger than suntrust?
    Coppy

Gwinnett Bound
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    118 Posts

I’ve always thought the uncertainty about what position Meyers would play has hurt his play. I think Meyers could produce a little more than 2 war a year if he can settle into a regular position.

I think AA would be interested in Meyers if he could get him for an investment of 12 to 14 AAV. Sending Tehran to SD would actually save money this year.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,676 Posts
    I'd love Myers esp if it helps get Harper out of the east