Results 5,961 to 5,980 of 11579

Thread: 2018 Offseason And Targets

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    696 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    Mets sign Jed Lowrie, 2 years/20 mil.
    This is a fine value, but it really makes me question the thinking of that J. D. Davis trade. This new Mets front office feels a little shaky so far.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UNCBlue012 View Post
    Acuna LF
    Donaldson 3B
    Freeman 1B
    JTR C
    Pollock RF
    Albies 2B
    Ender CF
    Swanson SS

Inject that in my veins
    Man that lineup would be AWESOME!

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    Mets sign Jed Lowrie, 2 years/20 mil.
    Yeah, we absolutely should be seeing if we could get a good 2nd baseman at a good value for a bench role. The Lowrie and Dozier signings have me convinced that we could get a quality bat really cheaply.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    696 Posts
    This is the biggest factor that has me racking me brain on the Mets actions. They have a zillion infielders, and only one reasonable option to play SS amongst them. To contrast, the Braves have 4 guys who can play SS. Maybe the Mets have another move coming?

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dak View Post
    This is the biggest factor that has me racking me brain on the Mets actions. They have a zillion infielders, and only one reasonable option to play SS amongst them. To contrast, the Braves have 4 guys who can play SS. Maybe the Mets have another move coming?

I think the Mets did exactly what I was advocating for the Braves last night (which makes me think it might be a stupid idea because: Mets, but I still think it was a pretty smart move). They added an impact bat on team friendly terms that does wonders for their offensive depth. They'll have some things to figure out with him, but I think it was a good signing

NL Rookie of the Year CrazyTrain's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    191 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    i'm by no means desperate to trade him. i think his value could build because there's a solid chance, to me, that he'll be better this year than last. i'm just not opposed to it if a team values him nicely and it upgrades another area. that's all.
    Newk needs to be dealt while he still has value.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    ^——— Our daily pearl of wisdom folks
    Last edited by Enscheff; 01-10-2019 at 07:55 PM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Very recently the Brewers have claimed Thames off the Korea scrap heap, fleeced the Marlins for Yelich, made a great FA signing with Cain, grabbed a 1 year value with Mous, signed the SP I considered the best FA SP value in Chacin for 2/15, and have now somehow managed to get Grandal for 1/18.

The Brewers are doing a lot of good things.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Very recently the Brewers have claimed Thames off the Korea scrap heap, fleeced the Marlins for Yelich, made a great FA signing with Cain, grabbed a 1 year value with Mous, signed the SP I considered the best FA SP value in Chacin for 2/15, and have now somehow managed to get Grandal for 1/18.

The Brewers are doing a lot of good things.
    They are starting to prove themselves to be among the smartest front offices in baseball at the moment. The only big misstep they've made in the last calender year, imo, was the trade for Jonathan Schoop. That was a weird one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Dan O’Dowd is clueless. He just said Tucker and Boustakas for JTR would be a good trade for both teams. Huge overpay imo.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    Dan O’Dowd is clueless. He just said Tucker and Boustakas for JTR would be a good trade for both teams. Huge overpay imo.
    He wasn't a good GM in Colorado.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    "Good value" is the wrong term, but at some point you have to decide it's time to fill out your lineup.

The Astros control Verlander and Cole for one more year, just signed Brantley so they have nowhere to play Tucker, have Chirinos and Max Stassi as their catching tandem, and Grandal's now off the market.

If you're trying to win the World Series THIS year, you simply have to quit worrying about what someone MIGHT be worth 2-3 years down the road. If Whitley and James don't turn into Verlander and Cole, it won't make a difference whether or not Tucker finally turns into Acunat next season.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    "Good value" is the wrong term, but at some point you have to decide it's time to fill out your lineup.

The Astros control Verlander and Cole for one more year, just signed Brantley so they have nowhere to play Tucker, have Chirinos and Max Stassi as their catching tandem, and Grandal's now off the market.

If you're trying to win the World Series THIS year, you simply have to quit worrying about what someone MIGHT be worth 2-3 years down the road. If Whitley and James don't turn into Verlander and Cole, it won't make a difference whether or not Tucker finally turns into Acunat next season.
    So you're saying their pitching depth is thin and they are deep in position players. And your grand plan for them is to trade one of their most valuable trade assets for.... another hitter?

Genius.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts

No, you don’t. Moves like that is why that fool ODowd is no longer working for an MLB team.

Thinking fools like that are right is why you’re such a terrible poster.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    I agree with Carp. With their 2 best pitchers only signed for 1 more year it would be crazy to trade for more offense when they’ll need resources to get more pitching. With Bregman and Correa both looming and Springer they’ll need the money saved to extend those guys.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    So you're saying their pitching depth is thin and they are deep in position players. And your grand plan for them is to trade one of their most valuable trade assets for.... another hitter?

Genius.
    Win when you have the chance to win. Tomorrow's promised to no one.

Funny rant by one of the XM hosts yesterday, but I somewhat agree with it. I'm a fan. It's not my money the players are getting paid, and it's not my job to worry about where the franchise will be 3-4 years from now. Way too many people (particularly around here) forget that these days.

Tucker may well never turn into half the player Realmuto is, and by the time he did the Astros roster will look entirely different than it does today.

The argument isn't about the value - the Braves have 12 MLB quality Starting Pitchers on their staff today. If they don't use some of them to go get another hitter or two, Josh Donaldson and Freddie Freeman may well not be Braves when those guys make their way into the rotation. It really is that simple.

If you don't take your shot when it presents itself, it could be a LONG time before you get another one. Someone remind me again how long it's been since this organization won a postseason series - it's been 23 years since the last time it was in the World Series. I was in college then - I'll be 50 if they get back there in 2019. If it takes them 23 more years to get back there after this year, I'll be dead and buried.
    Last edited by clvclv; 01-10-2019 at 10:26 PM.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts

Funny rant by one of the XM hosts yesterday, but I somewhat agree with it. I'm a fan. It's not my money the players are getting paid, and it's not my job to worry about where the franchise will be 3-4 years from now. Way too many people (particularly around here) forget that these days.

Tucker may well never turn into half the player Realmuto is, and by the time he did the Astros roster will look entirely different than it does today.

The argument isn't about the value - the Braves have 12 MLB quality Starting Pitchers on their staff today. If they don't use some of them to go get another hitter or two, Josh Donaldson and Freddie Freeman may well not be Braves when those guys make their way into the rotation. It really is that simple.

If you don't take your shot when it presents itself, it could be a LONG time before you get another one. Someone remind me again how long it's been since this organization won a postseason series - it's been 23 years since the last time it was in the World Series. I was in college then - I'll be 50 if they get back there in 2019. If it takes them 23 more years to get back there after this year, I'll be dead and buried.
    Again I say, their pitching depth is thin, and you think it's a good idea to trade for more hitting?

Moving Tucker is non issue. They should certainly entertain moving him. But for an impact pitcher like Snydergaard, Bauer, or Kluber.
    Last edited by Carp; 01-10-2019 at 10:33 PM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts

Another novel of mindless rambling...

Fortunately, GMs who think like this are making their way into careers on XM radio. I’m glad AA isn’t this stupid so I can enjoy sustained competitiveness from the Braves.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 01-11-2019 at 01:42 AM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,487 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Another novel of mindless rambling...

Fortunately, GMs who think like this are making their way into careers on XM radio. I’m glad AA isn’t this stupid so I can enjoy sustained competitiveness from the Braves.

That’s right Enscheff. Please tell him how he should think. I’m fact, every opinion on this board is null and void until you tell us the correct opinion
    Get off my lawn!

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    That’s right Enscheff. Please tell him how he should think. I’m fact, every opinion on this board is null and void until you tell us the correct opinion
    i mean, to be fair, thinking about it in the way clv said is a bad mindset and not one the good GMs have. way overpaying for a guy because "this is your window" is a really bad idea. and it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy, right? overpaying in prospects for a guy because you're in a "contention window" will, in turn, greatly shorten your window. the astros are really young and will be a team in contention for a while; overpaying for more a of a "win-now" guy and cutting down on future success isn't smart.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg