Did they get cut?
    no

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bowman
    In October, you said the Braves had $50 million to $60 million to spend this offseason. With $30 million committed, what is a general plan for the remainder of the offseason?
    -- @johnny_utah13

As we near the start of Spring Training, it appears the available funds were closer to $50 million. My current projection is they are willing to spend approximately $15 million more this offseason and save some of their flexibility for potential in-season acquisitions. I'll admit my projection in October was off by a few million because I anticipated Adam Duvall and Sam Freeman would be non-tendered.
    First of all, I told you so. I was looking forward to seeing him address this moronic comment, and it's not surprising he tried to do it with the shortest blurb in the entire article while being misleading.

Secondly, Bowman is backpedaling without owning up to what he really said. He very clearly stated, on several occasions, "the Braves have at least $60M to spend". He did not say $50M-$60M. He said, very clearly, "at least $60M to spend".

Off by a few million? Give me a break fat boy. You were off by closer to $20M.

I have them at about $114M right now, and have had them pegged at about $120M-$125M for many months now.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 01-25-2019 at 01:52 PM.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    First of all, I told you so. I was looking forward to seeing him address this moronic comment, and it's not surprising he tried to do it with the shortest blurb in the entire article while being misleading.

Secondly, Bowman is backpedaling without owning up to what he really said. He very clearly stated, on several occasions, "the Braves have at least $60M to spend". He did not say $50M-$60M. He said, very clearly, "at least $60M to spend".

I have them at about $114M right now, and have had them pegged at about $120M-$125M for many months now.
    I've had $130M in my head all along, so yeah I never drank that Kool aid

Arizona Fall Leaguer braves31win's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts

Congratulations?

Arbitration Eligible Freshmaker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    521 Posts
    The Phils are going to lose this arb hearing. The current non-Keuchal record for 1st time arb for a pitcher is Willis at $4.35M way back in 2006...13 years ago. The Phils are insane to think Nola will only be awarded a trivial increase over that 13 year old figure.
    Totally agree - so stupid for them to piss him off over such a relatively trivial amount. He's worth every penny he gets

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,974 Posts
    Are people really bitching that the Braves are interested in Gio, who has been a 3+ WAR workhorse basically every year the last 8 years? Even last year in a "down" year, he was still worth 2 WAR.

I get we need/want a good LF. But AA is likely still working on trades. Reportedly we are still in on Joc Pederson and JTR. Gio would improve the rotation and at this point, may come on a 1 year deal.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    521 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 4maddux_cy's View Post
    This article just enraged me even more. Team is way more profitable but payroll remains stagnant. Lovely.
    I know...so frustrating. I don't care if we go to a 200M payroll, but would going to 140 or 150 just cripple us? If you dont want to deficit spend I get it, but we're a top-10 revenue team. We should be a top-10 payroll team. Hopefully we get there once we pay down some debt from the Battery and the new ST complex

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    521 Posts

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Freshmaker For This Useful Post:

buck75 (01-25-2019)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    The interesting question about Gio is just how far has his market dried up? Could you get him for one year at $8 million?

If you could and had to use Newk in a Realmuto/Steckenrider package (Steckenrider replacing Freeman), you'd still come in at under $125 million.

It doesn't appear to be there, but if AA could somehow find another $8 million in the couch cushions to replace Duvall with Marwin not only could you argue he "wins the offseason" with Donaldson, Mac, Gio, Realmuto, Steckenrider, and Marwin, you could certainly also argue we're the best team in the division to start the year - even if Harper goes back to Washington.

Acuna, Donaldson, Freddie, Realmuto, Markakis, Albies, Ender, Dansby

Mac, Camargo, Marwin, Culberson

Folty, Gausman, Gio, Julio, Touki/Soroka/Wright/Gohara/Fried

Viz, Minter, Steckenrider, O'Day, Venters, Winkler, Biddle, Sobotka
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    521 Posts
    More cheap relievers going off the market:

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    More from the Fat Man, MLBTR reports

MLB.com’s Mark Bowman writes in his latest Inbox column that the Marlins are still insisting that the Braves include one of their current position players in a trade for the All-Star catcher. So long as that continues to be the price, Bowman writes, it’s unlikely that the Braves will cave into the Marlins’ demands.

Fish are looking for a LH bat

Current position player who hits LH-- Freddie, Markakis, Inciarte, Mac I hadn't heard this demand before.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Are people really bitching that the Braves are interested in Gio, who has been a 3+ WAR workhorse basically every year the last 8 years? Even last year in a "down" year, he was still worth 2 WAR.

I get we need/want a good LF. But AA is likely still working on trades. Reportedly we are still in on Joc Pederson and JTR. Gio would improve the rotation and at this point, may come on a 1 year deal.
    A "down year" for a 33 year old pitcher is usually the start of a trend.

However, there are certainly scenarios where Gio on a 1 year deal (or Keuchal on a reasonable deal) makes sense for the Braves. Most of those scenarios revolve around someone like Newk being traded for someone like JTR.

Even with all the young pitching the Braves have, I would suggest folks get used to seeing them target at least one Gio-like SP almost every off season to fill in a gap somewhere.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (01-25-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,675 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by salmagundy View Post
    More from the Fat Man, MLBTR reports

MLB.com’s Mark Bowman writes in his latest Inbox column that the Marlins are still insisting that the Braves include one of their current position players in a trade for the All-Star catcher. So long as that continues to be the price, Bowman writes, it’s unlikely that the Braves will cave into the Marlins’ demands.

Fish are looking for a LH bat

Current position player who hits LH-- Freddie, Markakis, Inciarte, Mac I hadn't heard this demand before.
    Albies, camargo

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Albies, camargo
    Camargo plus Anderson for JTR, sign Marwin?

Are the Marlins dumb enough to buy high on Johan?

Anytime Now Frankie... tululush's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    180 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Albies, camargo
    So the Marlins want more for JTR than they received for Yelich. Ok, yeah that makes a ton of sense. Yelich was signed to a longer contract at a much more economical rate relative to his production than JTR is.

They really have no idea how to manage their team. They’ve traded away the last two MVPs, got very little, and now want to bend us over for an inferior talent to Stanton and Yelich, and is pay more.

Have fun getting nothing and having JTR walk in two years.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Camargo plus Anderson for JTR, sign Marwin?

Are the Marlins dumb enough to buy high on Johan?
    Sign manny. Swanson/flowers/bryce for JTR. But do you really have to ask if Jeter is dumb.
    Coppy

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tululush View Post
    So the Marlins want more for JTR than they received for Yelich. Ok, yeah that makes a ton of sense. Yelich was signed to a longer contract at a much more economical rate relative to his production than JTR is.

They really have no idea how to manage their team. They’ve traded away the last two MVPs, got very little, and now want to bend us over for an inferior talent to Stanton and Yelich, and is pay more.

Have fun getting nothing and having JTR walk in two years.
    They will trade him for 2 years of Joc headlining a deal. Jeter is that dumb.
    Coppy

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (01-25-2019), Super (01-25-2019)

Anytime Now Frankie... tululush's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    180 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    Lol if Joc were on the Yankees I’d agree. But he only knows how to give favors to his previous employer.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    Oh man, you may have just cracked the code and laid out the most plausible moronic move the Marlins could make haha!

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Freshmaker View Post
    Totally agree - so stupid for them to piss him off over such a relatively trivial amount. He's worth every penny he gets
    squabbling with the MVP of your team last year over $2.5M when you have basically endless money to spend...yeah, good luck with that guys.
    that FO is not particularly wise, thankfully.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg