Page 30 of 579 FirstFirst ... 2028293031324080130530 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 Offseason And Targets

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Bowman still insists on linking the Braves to a TOR SP in his latest mailbag, and thinks they may somehow trade for Realmuto AND acquire this TOR arm.

Bowman also thinks the Braves have $60 to spend this off season. Maybe he knows something we don't, or maybe he's an idiot.
    If you're right about the Braves not having $60 to spend this winter, maybe you're the idiot.

Pretty sure they can handle 60 bucks.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    Bowman was also asked to name someone the Braves could go after that isn’t a well known target at this point. He mentioned Starling Marte.

Dealing Marte would be pretty dumb right after the Pirates went all in with the Archer trade, but if he’s available, I think he’s a perfect fit.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to CJ9 For This Useful Post:

clvclv (10-23-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Marte is one of my favorite targets. I mentioned him a while back as somebody I’d be after.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hudson2 For This Useful Post:

clvclv (10-24-2018), UNCBlue012 (10-24-2018)

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    239 Posts
    I wonder what Whit Merrifield would cost. If the cost isn't crushing (something like one good prospect and one that is mid-tierish) then I'd take him as the new OF'er and a leadoff guy that can move Acuna out of leadoff (although I'd prefer just to #2).
    Aggression with prospects is fine, but being stupid is not. There should be a way to find a happy medium between a Pirates like idea of being overly cautious with prospects and going stupidly fast with prospects.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GeorgiaGirl For This Useful Post:

Chico (10-24-2018), clvclv (10-24-2018)

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    265 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaGirl View Post
    I wonder what Whit Merrifield would cost. If the cost isn't crushing (something like one good prospect and one that is mid-tierish) then I'd take him as the new OF'er and a leadoff guy that can move Acuna out of leadoff (although I'd prefer just to #2).
    I’d love him. He is a quality starter and really allows for creative depth moves.DOB said on Twitter we asked for him this summer and Royals didn’t want to move him FWIW.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Oklahomabrave For This Useful Post:

clvclv (10-24-2018)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    I'd think the problem with Merrifield would be that AA might not be able to get him with "just arms". DMGM went nuts in June drafting college arms to try to fast-track. If they think Singer, Kowar, and Daniel Lynch are going to move relatively quickly, you'd probably have to include a more "elite" arm (Anderson?), and I'm sure they'd want to talk about Riley or Pache.

Is Merrifield worth two of those names (if they'd even be considerations)? Not for me, but the value charts may tell a different story.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    527 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Oklahomabrave View Post
    I’d love him. He is a quality starter and really allows for creative depth moves.DOB said on Twitter we asked for him this summer and Royals didn’t want to move him FWIW.
    He's an interesting one. If I'm reading this right, hes not even arb elgiible until 2020, so he's under team control for another 4 years. That being said, next year is his age 30 season, he was a serious late bloomer. He put up a 5.5 WAR last year so he won't be cheap, but age might bring the cost down a bit. To a rebuilding team like the Royals who isn't even close to their contention window, the longer they hold him the less value he has.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    I've thought about Merrifield as well. With the Dogers and Red Sox being so deep and more talk about depth in general I could see us going after guys who can play multiple positions to give us options for future dealings.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chico View Post
    I've thought about Merrifield as well. With the Dogers and Red Sox being so deep and more talk about depth in general I could see us going after guys who can play multiple positions to give us options for future dealings.
    We talked about Merrifield several weeks ago.

If the Royals value him dearly, I would pass, but if he’s obtainable for something more in line with him merely being an above average starter entering his decline then I’d do it.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ9 View Post
    Bowman was also asked to name someone the Braves could go after that isn’t a well known target at this point. He mentioned Starling Marte.

Dealing Marte would be pretty dumb right after the Pirates went all in with the Archer trade, but if he’s available, I think he’s a perfect fit.
    The Pirates can be unpredictable and are always trying to save a buck, but I don't see thie one happening. After trading away Meadows and Polanco having surgery recently and expected to miss some of the season their usual depth is not there.

Lynchburg Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts
    Not against the Marte idea, still dont think JT Realmuto is needed

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Perfect Cell For This Useful Post:

Jaw (10-25-2018), jpx7 (10-24-2018)

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Perfect Cell View Post
    Not against the Marte idea, still dont think JT Realmuto is needed
    Catcher needs to be upgraded this winter big-time.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    265 Posts
    From Kileys chat today- Mentions Realmuto as a possible big acquisition for us. Independent of that mentioned that he wouldn’t be surprised at all if Newcomb is dangled in trades.

I’m personally skeptical and surprised by the amount of times Realmuto has been mentioned as a trade target for us. I’m more than ok dangling Newk as a big piece of a trade though.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Oklahomabrave For This Useful Post:

Jaw (10-25-2018), jpx7 (10-24-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,739 Posts
    Why is everyone so willing to trade Newk? He is the kind of pitcher that can get hot and dominate in the playoffs. Isnt that what we need?
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Swallowed by Mark Bowman
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,279 Posts
    I'm at work so I can't access Twitter, but I recall DOB recently tweeting that the Braves asked about Merrifield at the deadline and found the price way too steep.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to MadduxFanII For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (10-24-2018)

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Oklahomabrave View Post
    From Kileys chat today- Mentions Realmuto as a possible big acquisition for us. Independent of that mentioned that he wouldn’t be surprised at all if Newcomb is dangled in trades.

I’m personally skeptical and surprised by the amount of times Realmuto has been mentioned as a trade target for us. I’m more than ok dangling Newk as a big piece of a trade though.
    He also said this, i would do this tbh.

Kiley McDaniel: 1yr $12M on Bumgarner. Allard/Wentz/Muller are right in that range on a 1-for-1.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Heyward For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (10-24-2018)

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    Why is everyone so willing to trade Newk? He is the kind of pitcher that can get hot and dominate in the playoffs. Isnt that what we need?
    lol

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    Because he's a stuff #4, and those guys tend to hold their trade value as other teams continue to think "what if?" with hopes they can fix him. He is valuable, and the Braves will need to trade away valuable assets to get the kind of upgrades they need.

He is just as likely to blow up and lose a game as he is to "get hot and dominate in the playoffs".

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

UNCBlue012 (10-24-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post

Kiley McDaniel: 1yr $12M on Bumgarner. Allard/Wentz/Muller are right in that range on a 1-for-1.
    He also said this:

Kiley McDaniel: Goldschmidt is 31, has 1 year left at $14.5M and his last three years have been 5.0, 5.2, 5.1 WAR (with a 7.2 right behind that)
    Kiley McDaniel: if he’s open market for only one year deals, he would get like about $30M
    Kiley McDaniel: so that’s $16M in surplus value, maybe a little more since competing teams could see him as the missing piece

If he thinks Goldy at $14.5M only has $16M in surplus value, he is pretty wrong about his player valuations.

Goldy likely projects as a 4-5 win player next year, and will be worth $40M+ for that single season.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post

as always, I'm perfectly happy trading Allard. He's got a tough path forward and he's in the middle of the big scrum.

I'd think a little harder about Wentz and Muller. They are maybe two years behind the rest, and left handed, and maybe higher upside. For just one year of Bumgarner. I think you probably still do it though. I think one of them would be plenty.