Page 50 of 579 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260100150550 ... LastLast
Results 981 to 1,000 of 11579

Thread: 2018 Offseason And Targets

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    239 Posts
    I'd be OK with taking Castro's contract to try to lessen the prospects hit, but I wouldn't start him for a lion's share of ABs. People need to get over the old school mentality, outside your superstars (and even they shouldn't start every single game), everyone else should probably honestly preferably be more near 140-145 starts even if HEALTHY.
    Aggression with prospects is fine, but being stupid is not. There should be a way to find a happy medium between a Pirates like idea of being overly cautious with prospects and going stupidly fast with prospects.

Arizona Fall Leaguer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts
    Just curious, what would it take to get Kluber from CLE?!?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bravesfannchar View Post
    Just curious, what would it take to get Kluber from CLE?!?
    Lol here we gooooo!

Bowman just wrote the Braves need a veteran SP and 2 legit BP arms.

He then went on to say that if the Braves traded for Realmuto AND a pitcher like Kluber they could THEN maybe afford Harper.

No wonder casual fans are so stupid...that’s the kind of crap they read.

Are we seriously still listening to Bowman as if he knows anything other than the best places to eat in every city?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    MLBTraderumors Top 50 Free Agents with preditions

1. Bryce Harper - Dodgers - 14 years $420m
    2. Manny Machado - Phillies - 13 years $390m
    3. Patrick Corbin - Yankees - 6 years $129m
    4. Dallas Keuchel - Nationals - 4 years $82m
    5. Craig Kimbrel - Cardinals - 4 years $70m
    6. Yasmani Grandal - Nationals - 4 years $64m
    7. Nathan Eovaldi - Red Sox - 4 years $60m
    8. A.J. Pollock - Giants - 4 years $60m
    9. J.A. Happ - Angels - 3 years $48m
    10. Michael Braantley - Braves - 3 years $45m
    11. Andrew McCutchen - Cubs - 3 years $45m
    12. Yusei Kikuchi - Padres - 6 years $42m
    13. Josh Donaldson - Cardinals - 1 year $20m
    14. Charlie Morton - Phillies - 2 years $32m
    15. Wilson Ramos - Astros - 3 years $36m
    16. Marwin Gonzalez - Twins - 4 years $36m
    17. Jeurys Familia - Twins - 3 years $33m
    18. Zach Britton - Astros - 3 years $33m
    19. David Robertson - Mets - 3 years $33m
    20. Hyun Jin Ryu - Dodgers - 3 years $33m
    21. Adam Ottavino - Yankees - 3 years $30m
    22. Nelson Cruz - Twins - 2 years $30m
    23. Jed Lowrie - A's - 3 years $30m
    24. Andrew Miller - Red Sox - 3 years $27m
    25. Joe Kelly - Angels - 3 years $27m
    26. Kelvin Herrera - Dodgers - 1 year $8m
    27. Gio Gonzalez - A's - 2 years $24m
    28. Anibal Sanchez - Giants - 2 years $22m
    29. Matt Harvey - Reds - 2 years $22m
    30. Trevor Cahill - Blue Jays - 2 years $22m
    31. Daniel Murphy - Angels - 2 years $20m
    32. Brian Dozier - Nationals - 1 year $10m
    33. DJ LeMahieu - Tigers - 2 years $18m
    34. Joakim Soria - Mets - 2 years $18m
    35. Mike Moustakas - Royals - 2 years $16m
    36. Lance Lynn - Rays - 2 years $16m
    37. Cody Allen - Braves - 2 years $16m
    38. Nick Markakis - Phillies - 2 years $16m
    39. Derek Holland - Reds - 2 years $15m
    40. Bud Norris - Indians - 2 years $12m
    41. Brad Brach - Brewers - 2 years $12m
    42. Wade Miley - Brewers - 2 years $12m
    43. Garrett Richards - Tigers - 2 years $10m
    44. Jesse Chavez - Cubs - 2 years $10m
    45. CC Sabbathia - Angels - 1 year $8m
    46. Adam Jones - Indians - 1 year $8m
    47. Martin Maldonado - Rockies - 2 years $8m
    48. Kurt Suzuki - Brewers - 2 years $8m
    49. Ervin Santana - Mariners - 1 year $6m
    50. Drew Pomeranz - Royals - 1 year $6m
    At those prices I want both Grandal and Pollock in a Braves uniform, but I doubt the Braves sign 2 guys with a QO attached.

I brought up Brantley as a potential fit months ago, and he makes sense for a variety of reasons.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-03-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    You've basically just overhauled the whole team... I guarantee you won't see 4 of 8 regular lineup slots changed...
    He also just created the most active off season in the history of MLB.

And somehow got Paxton...

And then called it realistic....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,991 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Lol here we gooooo!

Bowman just wrote the Braves need a veteran SP and 2 legit BP arms.

He then went on to say that if the Braves traded for Realmuto AND a pitcher like Kluber they could THEN maybe afford Harper.

No wonder casual fans are so stupid...that’s the kind of crap they read.

Are we seriously still listening to Bowman as if he knows anything other than the best places to eat in every city?
    Think Bryce will be cool waiting around while we do all that other junk?

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanieAntics View Post
    I really wish I knew how to post memes on here. This would be the perfect place for a white knight meme. Clvclv: Fighting hard for your right to post stupid bull**** since July 2013.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    If the MLBTR projections somehow lined up...

1.) For the same money, I'd prefer McCutchen over Brantley. Brantley's got more upside, no doubt, but his injury history is enough to scare me off if you have a reasonably similar option - plus McCutchen fits behind Freeman much better for lineup balance since you could go R-S (Ozzie)-L-R-S (Camargo) - R (Flow/Other) - L - R.

2.) If AA really does spend on the pen (as they have him doing), I'd prefer to spend a little more and get Britton, Familia, or Ottavino rather than what they have us offering Allen. If he could get Allen at that price I wouldn't complain though.

3.) If Maldonado and Zook are going to require a 2-year deals (and we're not in on Grandal or Realmuto), bringing Mac back to finish things out would seem to make some sense. He should provide a little more offense than Maldonado and is still better defensively than Zook plus he gives you a true platoon when needed, and you know money won't be an issue with him since I'm sure he'd like to take a victory lap at home.

Based on their list, you have to assume they think AA will be trading this winter - whether it's for Realmuto or a SP (no matter how much that *isses somebody here off). They only have us spending $23 million of the $40-ish million most of us reasonably believe they have to spend. If the only "upgrades" were Brantley and Allen, he wouldn't have done much to improve the team's chances. If Donaldson really could be had for 1 year and $20 million (especially if Brantley or McCutchen require 3 year commitments for twice as much money), I don't see how Alex passes and he asks Camargo to move to LF. I'd be much happier gambling that Donaldson could make it through 2019 healthy than I would betting on Brantley staying healthy for 3 years, and the upside would be much higher IMO.
    Last edited by clvclv; 11-03-2018 at 06:26 AM.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,731 Posts
    Based on the prices listed I would go with Donaldson for 1 year 20 million. Brantley for 3 years 45 million. Kelvim Herrera 1 year 8 million. I would try and trade for Realmuto and if that falls through sign Suzuki with McCann as plan C.

I like the upside of Donaldson at 1 year. Camargo and Riley give us good depth in a worst case scenario. Brantley I envision leading off vs RH pitching with soneone platooning with him. I might try Camargo at SS and LF to make Brantley and Swanson platoon partners. I would certainly try Camargo at SS if Swanson and the offense struggles. I like having Brantley for 3 years as opposed to 4 for Pollock and he provides much better OBP. I like Pollock for his defense but obp too low and not sure how well his power translates outside Arizona. I like Herrera again because its only 1 year. I dont know much about his foot injury but he will have had a long time to recover by the start of the season. He barely walks people which we desperately need in our pen. For Realmuto I would offer Gohara/Allard/Contreras and a 4th prospect... thinking Wentz but if he is willing to sign an extension I could give more. I think the Marlins are a toxic organization and he will improve with better morale on a contender. To help fit this into the budget I would offload Tehran for as much salary relief we can and we could backload Brantleys contract to year 2 and 3. I would also offer Freeman a 4 year 100 million extension. God knows what kind of monsterous contract he will get if he gets to free agency. This would put him under team control for 7 years to his mid 30's and right around the time all these prospects like Acuna will be hitting free agency.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Klaw has a fa guide too.

We need lh power and we need someone decent at first so acuna can hit second or fourth.

I’d go with Grandal esp if his post season let’s you get away with a lower cost or contract length. Flowers is the perfect compliment to him.

I like Brantley better. Worst defender of the options and not a lot of power. Best hitter and probably only a 3 year deal. Pollock obp bothers me.

I want moustakis. Comargo is the perfect partner for him and comargo can get some time at SS and 2b to develop vs rh.

We can only sign 2. I’d prefer Grandal and moose. Trade for of.

Pen we sign short term. I’d like Miller for a one year challenge deal. But I guess it’s a minor deal. We still have minter viz and oday. I think Weigel will be a stud. After trades we still have guys like gohara fried sobatka etc who could be high leverage

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,991 Posts
    Some of these suggestions are painfully bad

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    If I could have my way with what we have available I’d:

Trade Wright, Wentz, and Waters for Realmuto
    Resign Sanchez for 1/10
    Trade Newcomb for Peralta
    Sign Herrera for 1/8
    Sign Donaldson for 1/20
    Sign Duda for 1/5
    Trade Teheran for any salary relief

That hits all of our needs and adds around 50 million and makes Camargo the super sub.

Acuna
    Realmuto
    Freeman
    Donaldson
    Peralta
    Albies
    Ender
    Swanson

Folty
    Gausman
    Soroka
    Sanchez
    Touki

Camargo
    Duda
    Flowers
    Culberson
    Duval

Herrera
    Viz
    Minter
    Biddle
    O‘Day
    Fried
    Venters

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,991 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    If I could have my way with what we have available I’d:

Trade Wright, Wentz, and Waters for Realmuto
    Resign Sanchez for 1/10
    Trade Newcomb for Peralta
    Sign Herrera for 1/8
    Sign Donaldson for 1/20
    Sign Duda for 1/5
    Trade Teheran for any salary relief

That hits all of our needs and adds around 50 million and makes Camargo the super sub.

Acuna
    Realmuto
    Freeman
    Donaldson
    Peralta
    Albies
    Ender
    Swanson

Folty
    Gausman
    Soroka
    Sanchez
    Touki

Camargo
    Duda
    Flowers
    Culberson
    Duval

Herrera
    Viz
    Minter
    Biddle
    O‘Day
    Fried
    Venters
    That's way too much to give up for Realmuto

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    That's way too much to give up for Realmuto
    The package can be adjusted of course but with as many teams needing a catcher like the Dodgers, Red Sox, Astros etc the price won’t be cheap at all.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    239 Posts
    If I had to guess, a trade for Realmuto looks like this at least:

One of the big pitchers.
    Riley
    More of a throw in. Guys we could regret trading but at this point are high upside and low floor. Someone like Jasseel De La Cruz or Freddy Tarnok.

If it's that, I think it gets done. I think at first it won't be that though and the Braves probably walk away from the price at least at first.
    Aggression with prospects is fine, but being stupid is not. There should be a way to find a happy medium between a Pirates like idea of being overly cautious with prospects and going stupidly fast with prospects.

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Catcher is probably the weakest position in baseball, nearly every team in baseball minus 5-10 need one. Given that, and one like JT being available would think he'd cost alot.

I'd agree with GG that the cost would be one of our top arms, Riley/Waters/Pache (whichever Miami wants), and a couple lesser prospects. Gotta give to get, cant hold onto every prospect now.

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaGirl View Post

One of the big pitchers.
    Riley
    More of a throw in. Guys we could regret trading but at this point are high upside and low floor. Someone like Jasseel De La Cruz or Freddy Tarnok.

If it's that, I think it gets done. I think at first it won't be that though and the Braves probably walk away from the price at least at first.
    I’d prefer not to. Just not sold on Realmuto for several reasons.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    I’d prefer not to. Just not sold on Realmuto for several reasons.
    I don't really have that big a problem with that type of package for Realmuto. Steep? Sure, but rightfully so. The thing is, if you're going to deal ready/almost ready prospects near the top of our list, you can't go halfway. Trading for Realmuto screams that you're in win-now mode, or that you're going to do what it takes to re-sign him in 2 years IMO. That kind of move takes you back where the Braves were when JS made the Tex deal and didn't follow through.

If AA thinks he's got enough pieces in place to make a serious run that he's willing to overpay for Realmuto, he also needs to add that TOR arm that JS never did. If he wants to go for it all in 2019 and 2020, it's time to also call the Indians and Mariners about Kluber/Carrasco/Paxton - even though that's not the best use of resources analytically. If you're making your move now, trade from the arms that are ready - Touki/Soroka/Fried/Gohara, and hold onto the ones that are farther away to replenish with (particularly Anderson).

Does it shorten the window? Probably, but adding Realmuto and the MOST expensive of those arms (Kluber) adds $20 million to the 2019 payroll. If you're committing to Camargo as your 3B, you've still got $20 million to spend on Brantley/McCutchen and a pen piece. If you cut Duvall and Freeman loose, you could afford to add one of those OFs and Allen/Soria/Herrera/Miller. Do whatever you have to do to keep Pache out of either of the trades, and roll the dice that he's going to keep coming fast - he could play defensively now, hope another half season of ABs gets his bat ready and he becomes your 4th OF/injury replacement after the break. That leaves you...

Ozzie, Acuna, Freeman, Realmuto, Brantley/McCutchen, Camargo, Ender, Dansby

Kluber/Carrasco/Paxton, Folty, Newk, Gausman, Julio

Allen/Soria/Herrera/Miller, Viz, Minter, O'Day, Venters, Winkler, Biddle, Sobotka

Flowers, Culberson, Tucker/Adams, cheap OF (maybe you could bring back Duvall on the cheap) until after the break when you hope Pache's ready

Again, it wouldn't be ideal as far as some are concerned, but if you could hold onto Pache, Anderson and another arm or two, and Contreras it's not like you'd be pushing all your chips in for a two year run, but everyone listed above would be controlled for those two years except Julio, Viz, O'Day, and Venters.
    Last edited by clvclv; 11-03-2018 at 01:39 PM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Well, I suppose this means we now know who the "TOR starters" everyone will obsess over for the next few months.

Anyone have a link to a non-moronic take on the Indians strengths/needs going into 2019?
    MLBTR comes through: https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2018/...ns-rumors.html

The line on Gomes is interesting: “As for the other players on the Indians roster that could be moved, it seems reasonable to suppose that cost-savings would be a leading motivator.....Gomes rebounded with the bat in 2018, but is earning a relatively hefty $7MM, plus $2MM in buyouts on a pair of options ($9MM and $11MM, respectively) that seem unlikely to be exercised.”

If Gomes at $9M is viewed as more of a salary dump than an asset with value, he might be a very good value addition that may not cost much at all in terms of prospect capital.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-04-2018)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaGirl View Post

One of the big pitchers.
    Riley

Taking that the step further as I mention above about combining a Realmuto trade with a move for Kluber (or other TOR arm)...

If Touki/Riley/Tarnok gets you Realmuto, and Wright, Fried, Allard, and Waters gets you Kluber you're still left with...

Soroka, Gohara, Wilson (in Gwinnett) plus Weigel somewhere, Anderson, Wentz, Muller (in Mississippi), Pache, and Contreras with two top 20 picks in June. The hope would be that one of those guys at Gwinnett replaces Julio in 2020 and provides you the money for Realmuto, Wilson and Weigel step in as useful pen pieces in 2020 to replace Viz and O'Day and you can use their money to pay some of the arbitration raises, Pache replaces Ender in 2021 and you can trade him and use his money to pay for the rest of the raises, and Contreras is ready to step in when Realmuto walks.

I could probably almost live with that.