Page 57 of 579 FirstFirst ... 747555657585967107157557 ... LastLast
Results 1,121 to 1,140 of 11579

Thread: 2018 Offseason And Targets

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,536 Posts
    This team has one hole (corner outfield) and lacks a good bench player (lefty hitting infielder). Those are the clear needs. And I think we'll fill those.

Beyond that we have an opportunity to upgrade catcher and the pen. And I think we will do that too.

In upgrading the above, we might create a hole in the rotation and re-signing Anibal would fill that.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Aside from injury or drastic inprovement in performance, it's unlikely their value changes much from where it is currently.
    Afraid I disagree there. Given how much more a part of the discussion prospects have become these days and the differing levels of comfort each organization has when it comes to "rushing" prospects, I think the values are much more susceptible to volatility than they once were. You were around back in the old days like I was - when the draft was an absolute crapshoot and so much more depended on your player development people and minor league organization in general. You drafted a kid (whether out of high school or college), sent him to rookie ball, and checked back in on him in 2-3 years unless he was just absolutely blowing the world up at a level. Even then, that often only led to an in-season promotion during that particular season. Kids making it to the cusp of the majors at 18-19 years old like Druw did was almost completely unheard of. Prospect fatigue didn't exist - if a kid struggled after being promoted, it was simply viewed as him adjusting to a higher level of competition. Nowadays if a kid doesn't back up a breakout season where he was young for his level with another really, really strong season at the next level where he's still one of the youngest players in his league people start saying he has plateaued and maybe isn't as good as you thought he was. Prospects are measured so much by their individual results these days that there's no place for actual "development" of a particular player in the rankings. If you take a kid - Anderson for instance - and say "I want you to throw 30% change-ups this season regardless of the count or results" because you're trying to make that part of his game better down the road and he goes 8-8 with a 4.20 ERA and his strikeouts go down his value tanks as far as the ranking community is concerned, and while they may not be looked at differently on an individual basis they get passed by a bunch of new flavors of the month.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,492 Posts
    Passan: Sources: The Mariners are considering a full-fledged teardown this winter. If trade market is strong, they’ve told teams they’re willing to move just about anyone. And if that happens, they have indicated they’re willing to wait a few years to build a competitive team again.

Go get Haniger. Ideal fit.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to CJ9 For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (11-06-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,991 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ9 View Post
    Passan: Sources: The Mariners are considering a full-fledged teardown this winter. If trade market is strong, they’ve told teams they’re willing to move just about anyone. And if that happens, they have indicated they’re willing to wait a few years to build a competitive team again.

This is incredible Give me Haniger and/or Paxton.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to UNCBlue012 For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (11-06-2018)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UNCBlue012 View Post
    Kyle Seager had a terrible year and maybe they would just give him away. I don't think he's an answer to any big question, but he'd be a LHH who could help out. Haniger would be the answer to a big question. Pretty much a perfect fit.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UNCBlue012 View Post
    forget paxton. we should not be trading young assets for injury-prone pitchers on the wrong side of 30.
    haniger on the other hand is indeed a great fit and my absolute #1 target if truly made available.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Super For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (11-06-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    Kyle Seager had a terrible year and maybe they would just give him away. I don't think he's an answer to any big question, but he'd be a LHH who could help out. Haniger would be the answer to a big question. Pretty much a perfect fit.
    I would definitely take on Seager as a salary dump as well. Provides LHH infield depth. his career tho is weird as far as splits. seems to go back and forth on what kind of pitcher he hits better. and still a very good defender.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,492 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    I would definitely take on Seager as a salary dump as well. Provides LHH infield depth. his career tho is weird as far as splits. seems to go back and forth on what kind of pitcher he hits better. and still a very good defender.
    Agreed, I want nothing to do with Paxton. Haniger is the only person on their roster who really interests me. Diaz is awesome but would cost way too much for a bullpen arm. Seager is interesting, but he's owed a lot of money still and on the wrong side of 30.

This offseason might become Haniger or bust for me. He is a perfect fit for this roster in so many ways.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,362 Posts
    Haniger will cost a ton. Our best bet would be to take a salary dump to lessen the blow.
    Coppy

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,127 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    He would have been an ace with an opener. But seriously. I do hope we tinker with some bull pen games this year. If jT is still around he would be great in that roll. Start sobo for 3-6 batters. Then JT for 4-5 innings. Then lock it down with a couple more guys.
    The idea of using an opener for the top of the lineup so Julio can face the bottom of the order 3 times while facing the top only twice is a good idea...it's why the opener is so successful.

The Braves have the quantity of good-not-great arms to follow this process as well as any other team currently doing it.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (11-06-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,127 Posts

This and news of the DBacks potentially tearing things down is precisely the type of news we've been hoping to hear to reveal trade candidates.

Folks are going to predictably clamor for Paxton trade ideas, but the real prize that fits the Braves is Haniger. He could be this off season's version of Yelich.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (11-06-2018)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,362 Posts
    Maybe take Seager and his ~60 mill owed would help. Do a traditional split with Johan at third. Could still use johan to spell other guys against righties.
    Coppy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    This and news of the DBacks potentially tearing things down is precisely the type of news we've been hoping to hear to reveal trade candidates.

Folks are going to predictably clamor for Paxton trade ideas, but the real prize that fits the Braves is Haniger. He could be this off season's version of Yelich.
    Yelich is what I thought of when I read they were maybe gonna tear it down. Haniger would be a perfect fit with us and would leave us plenty of money to go hard after Grandal.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    I know it would cost a ton. But if we got Haniger and Diaz somehow that would be amazing.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Hudson2 For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (11-06-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,127 Posts
    Heyman: Sounds now like Mariners intend to hold onto Haniger, Diaz and Gonzalez. Word is: “Everyone else is up for grabs.”

This just got a lot less interesting for the Braves. I expect to see constant Paxton rumors though.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-06-2018), UNCBlue012 (11-06-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Heyman: Sounds now like Mariners intend to hold onto Haniger, Diaz and Gonzalez. Word is: “Everyone else is up for grabs.”

This just got a lot less interesting for the Braves. I expect to see constant Paxton rumors though.
    haniger is 27. the mariners won't be good until he's at least 30. i think they'd deal him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,492 Posts
    The Mariners writer for the Athletic wrote a story a month ago about what a complete rebuild could look like.

In his completely made up article, he actually had Haniger to Atlanta for Pache and Bryse Wilson. I'd do that without thinking twice.

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CJ9 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-06-2018), UNCBlue012 (11-06-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    The Mariners writer for the Athletic wrote a story a month ago about what a complete rebuild could look like.

In his completely made up article, he actually had Haniger to Atlanta for Pache and Bryse Wilson. I'd do that without thinking twice.
    absolutely. that would be an easy call. which means it prob wouldn't happen.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,362 Posts
    No interest in Paxton.

Wonder if they plan to finish the rebuild in 2 years. Or they think less team control for players make them more valuable on the trade market. To me trading those young studs would help a very poor farm system.
    Last edited by bravesfanMatt; 11-06-2018 at 12:51 PM.
    Coppy

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,362 Posts

Do that deal everyday and throw in Davidson because he made the hot sheet one week.
    Coppy