Page 74 of 579 FirstFirst ... 2464727374757684124174574 ... LastLast
Results 1,461 to 1,480 of 11579

Thread: 2018 Offseason And Targets

Arbitration Eligible Freshmaker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    522 Posts
    Yeah no thanks on Reddick for me. Agreed that they'll try and move him, I just hope it's not to us

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Oklahomabrave View Post
    I generally agree but the Mariners have a high probability of acting oddly. If they strongly value the immediate impact and control of Newcomb, I’d be very happy to trade him for Paxton.
    If we go monster deal I hope we go haniger plus Paxton. Newk goes to replace Paxton. But the deal probably has Wright and pache or Riley in it plus mueller and a throw in like didder

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    If we go monster deal I hope we go haniger plus Paxton. Newk goes to replace Paxton. But the deal probably has Wright and pache or Riley in it plus mueller and a throw in like didder
    If we have to go get Realmuto I hope we go big and get Anderson too. It will cost 4 top 100 guys but I’d rather do that than 3 top 100 for Realmuto alone

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Russ2dollas For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-12-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Bowman suggests we put Inciarte on the trade block to see what we get. With Cleveland needing OF help could he be a headliner for a Kluber deal?

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Ughhh these Kluber rumors scare the **** outta me. He's a great pitcher, but the dude will be 33 next year and is owed 46 million dollars for the next 3 years. Do we seriously want to back up the prospect dump truck for that?

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BeanieAntics For This Useful Post:

Garmel (11-11-2018), jpx7 (11-12-2018), UNCBlue012 (11-12-2018)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,364 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanieAntics View Post
    Ughhh these Kluber rumors scare the **** outta me. He's a great pitcher, but the dude will be 33 next year and is owed 46 million dollars for the next 3 years. Do we seriously want to back up the prospect dump truck for that?
    no
    Coppy

9. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (11-12-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    Bowman suggests we put Inciarte on the trade block to see what we get. With Cleveland needing OF help could he be a headliner for a Kluber deal?
    Braves are weak in the OF, and they would deal their 2-3 win CF?

So far Bowman has suggested:

- the Braves have at least $60M to spend
    - the Braves are going after a frontline pitcher
    - the Braves should shop Inciarte

After this offseason we will know conclusively if Bowman is worth reading ever again.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-12-2018)

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Braves are weak in the OF, and they would deal their 2-3 win CF?

So far Bowman has suggested:

- the Braves have at least $60M to spend
    - the Braves are going after a frontline pitcher
    - the Braves should shop Inciarte

After this offseason we will know conclusively if Bowman is worth reading ever again.
    I think the people who have come to the "No" conclusion have already been sifted out through all the ones who think these suggestions are genius.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    I think the people who have come to the "No" conclusion have already been sifted out through all the ones who think these suggestions are genius.
    Just think about how stupid his Inciarte suggestion is on multiple levels. The return would be for a 33 year old pitcher. That pitcher would add 15 million to the payroll, 9 if you subtract Inciarte. We'd create a 2nd gaping hole in the outfield. We'd have less funds to address C, LF, RF, and bench with.

Geez an Inciarte+ for Kluber trade is quite the doozy.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    I don’t think trading high on Ender is a bad idea pending the return.

Upgrading catcher is going to be expensive with limited options. If you trade Ender you can put Acuna in CF and get 2 corner OF bats. This would allow you to resign Zuk or get a defensive minded catcher like Maldonado.

I think most would agree it’s easier to find a corner OF bat than it is a catcher.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chico View Post

Upgrading catcher is going to be expensive with limited options. If you trade Ender you can put Acuna in CF and get 2 corner OF bats. This would allow you to resign Zuk or get a defensive minded catcher like Maldonado.

I think most would agree it’s easier to find a corner OF bat than it is a catcher.
    Right...trade Inciarte + prospects for Kluber, sign Harper, sign Bradley. Re-sign Zuk

LF Bradley
    CF Acuña
    1B Freeman
    RF Harper
    3B Camargo
    C Suzuki/Flowers
    2B Albies
    SS Swanson

Kluber
    Folty
    Newk
    Gausman
    Teheran/Gohara/Soroka/Fried
    Get off my lawn!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,049 Posts
    There are no realistic perfect solutions on the FA or trade market absent something really unlikely happening like DeGrom becoming available. Kluber is dominant but his age and contract are concerns. Brantley is a decent player but isn't really an upgrade over Markakis and has big injury question marks (not to mention he's on the wrong side of 30).

Even Realmuto falls short of being a perfect solution. While he's still relatively young for a player, catchers don't always age the same as other players. It's not uncommon to see their production start declining in their late 20's (see Brian McCann).

Long story short, unless someone new crops up on the trade market, we're going to probably have to take some risks and hope for the best.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to striker42 For This Useful Post:

UNCBlue012 (11-12-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    There are no realistic perfect solutions on the FA or trade market absent something really unlikely happening like DeGrom becoming available. Kluber is dominant but his age and contract are concerns. Brantley is a decent player but isn't really an upgrade over Markakis and has big injury question marks (not to mention he's on the wrong side of 30).

Even Realmuto falls short of being a perfect solution. While he's still relatively young for a player, catchers don't always age the same as other players. It's not uncommon to see their production start declining in their late 20's (see Brian McCann).

Long story short, unless someone new crops up on the trade market, we're going to probably have to take some risks and hope for the best.
    deGrom would cost a fortune in prospect capital. he's not a perfect fit at all.
    brantley is clearly better than markakis.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    He's owed 17 million with 1m buyouts for the last two years.

That's a great contract.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chico View Post

If you can get a good value in return for Inciarte, it wouldn't be the worst idea in the world to rid yourself of the obligation of paying him more and more money as he's more and more likely to be a fourth outfielder.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    deGrom would cost a fortune in prospect capital. he's not a perfect fit at all.
    brantley is clearly better than markakis.

Going to have to take a risk somewhere.

I was thinking in the car ride this morning that Braves fans are somewhat unnaturally inclined now to believe that long sustained runs of greatness are the reasonable expectation and I think for a team like Atlanta what the team has gone through in the last decade is probably more the norm. Good times and bad times. Ups and downs ever with teams with talent. Braves don't have the cash right now to fill in the holes when they come up every season.

So I question somewhat any strategy that is depending on hoarding prospects to have a long sustained run. Particularly those that want to hoard prospects who play the same position and have the same timeline.

They need to put chips in the middle to maximize this run. I think they can probably do some things that give them some flexibility to stay in it longer and to re-tool in a few years, but can't let that outweigh putting a contender on the field.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    Right...trade Inciarte + prospects for Kluber, sign Harper, sign Bradley. Re-sign Zuk

LF Bradley
    CF Acuña
    1B Freeman
    RF Harper
    3B Camargo
    C Suzuki/Flowers
    2B Albies
    SS Swanson

Kluber
    Folty
    Newk
    Gausman
    Teheran/Gohara/Soroka/Fried
    I can promise you that there is absolutely zero ways to absorb Kluber, Brantley, and Harper to our payroll, much less do that and then sign a second catcher or sign other offensive depth.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to BeanieAntics For This Useful Post:

UNCBlue012 (11-12-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    I can promise you that there is absolutely zero ways to absorb Kluber, Brantley, and Harper to our payroll, much less do that and then sign a second catcher or sign other offensive depth.
    This was done out of sarcasm
    Get off my lawn!

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    Going to have to take a risk somewhere.

I was thinking in the car ride this morning that Braves fans are somewhat unnaturally inclined now to believe that long sustained runs of greatness are the reasonable expectation and I think for a team like Atlanta what the team has gone through in the last decade is probably more the norm. Good times and bad times. Ups and downs ever with teams with talent. Braves don't have the cash right now to fill in the holes when they come up every season.

So I question somewhat any strategy that is depending on hoarding prospects to have a long sustained run. Particularly those that want to hoard prospects who play the same position and have the same timeline.

They need to put chips in the middle to maximize this run. I think they can probably do some things that give them some flexibility to stay in it longer and to re-tool in a few years, but can't let that outweigh putting a contender on the field.
    sure. i would prefer that risk not be at SP, where a lot has already been invested and the returns are just now starting to come in. i don't want to hoard prospects, i think this is probably the offseason where it makes the most sense to use that capital (especially if someone like haniger becomes available). this is also why i'd rather sign a C and trade for an OF. maybe someone will become available that we haven't discussed yet. maybe it will be peralta or haniger. either way, i'd just rather target a position player rather than a SP in a trade.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    This was done out of sarcasm
    Ahhhh. You got me.