Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Diamondbacks to 'strip down the team and rebuild'

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UNCBlue012 View Post
    I didn't either. He's a near-perfect bat for the lineup. I think he'd be a lot but affordable given the plethora of options we have.
    AA is a smart dude so I fully expect him to get us a couple of upgrades for the lineup. Peralta and Rosario are both at the top of my list.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hudson2 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (10-10-2018), UNCBlue012 (10-10-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Any interest in Archie Bradley?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    IF (!!) the FO ends up trading with the DBacks, any interest in also trying to nab Descalso as our super-sub type?
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Super For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (10-10-2018)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    IF (!!) the FO ends up trading with the DBacks, any interest in also trying to nab Descalso as our super-sub type?
    Why? Would you give him ABs over Camargo or Culberson when Riley's called up???

No thanks.

Again, they haven't said they're having a firesale - the thread title is completely misleading - the story says that they realize it makes sense to "listen" and that ownership has said they'll be flexible to the extent they can.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to clvclv For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (10-11-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Why? Would you give him ABs over Camargo or Culberson when Riley's called up???

No thanks.
    well first, he hits LH. so he would get ABs. and he hit a good bit better than culberson last year. so i'd certainly consider it.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Super For This Useful Post:

Jaw (10-11-2018), jpx7 (10-10-2018)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    well first, he hits LH. so he would get ABs. and he hit a good bit better than culberson last year. so i'd certainly consider it.
    Just an opinion you asked for - I wouldn't. Riley's going to be up at some point, and Camargo becomes a utility guy then if he's not in an OF corner. Give me Johan's defense.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    You are correct. As usual, clvderp is very limited in his knowledge about roster construction.

The Braves will almost certainly make an effort towards building a deeper roster 1-25, and a LHH IFer like Descalso is something they should be trying to acquire.

Whether or not he will be made available, or if he is the best fit for an expanded bench role is certainly open for debate, but guys like him will certainly be of interest. He is actually one of the names I had in mind when I said, "I would not dip into the FV 55 guys for him (Peralta) unless other MLB pieces came along in a package".

Again, clvderp can't read when he suggests the thread title is misleading. The quoted tweet literally states, "the Dbacks expect to strip down the team and rebuild, with virtually everyone on the trade block".

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

Super (10-10-2018)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    You are correct. As usual, clvderp is very limited in his knowledge about roster construction.

The Braves will almost certainly make an effort towards building a deeper roster 1-25, and a LHH IFer like Descalso is something they should be trying to acquire.

Whether or not he will be made available, or if he is the best fit for an expanded bench role is certainly open for debate, but guys like him will certainly be of interest. He is actually one of the names I had in mind when I said, "I would not dip into the FV 55 guys for him (Peralta) unless other MLB pieces came along in a package".

Again, clvderp can't read when he suggests the thread title is misleading. The quoted tweet literally states, "the Dbacks expect to strip down the team and rebuild, with virtually everyone on the trade block".
    Apparently I'm not the one that can't read - exactly how in the *ell do you get that from "Diamondbacks to 'strip down the team and rebuild"? You realize that's the title of the thread, right? Most folks don't read through pages of responses - they go to the end and post their answer.

Really sad that you feel the need to take personal shots at people that have actually even generally agreed with you of late.

Trolls can apparently be numbers-lovers too.
    Last edited by clvclv; 10-10-2018 at 01:09 PM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Apparently I'm not the one that can't read - exactly how in the *ell do you get that from "Diamondbacks to 'strip down the team and rebuild"? You realize that's the title of the thread, right? Most folks don't read through pages of responses - they go to the end and post their answer.

Really sad that you feel the need to take personal shots at people that have actually even generally agreed with you of late.

Trolls can apparently be numbers-lovers too.
    Wait, what?

Again, they haven't said they're having a firesale - the thread title is completely misleading - the story says that they realize it makes sense to "listen" and that ownership has said they'll be flexible to the extent they can.

The title of the thread is, "Diamondbacks to 'strip down the team and rebuild'"

The quote in the referenced tweet is, "the Dbacks expect to strip down the team and rebuild, with virtually everyone on the trade block".

How in the world is the thread title misleading when it is precisely quoting the tweet posted?

So yes, you ARE the one who can't read. Just how stupid are you? My god...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Descalso is a free agent. Better options are out there: Eduardo Escobar, Asdrubal Cabrera, Marwin Gonzalez. They will cost more than Descalso or say Neil Walker. But I think we should spend the money. We are going to be acquiring someone who is going to get a lot of at bats, even if he is not designated as a starting player.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

Jaw (10-11-2018), jpx7 (10-10-2018), Super (10-10-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Descalso is a free agent. Better options are out there: Eduardo Escobar, Asdrubal Cabrera, Marwin Gonzalez. They will cost more than Descalso or say Neil Walker. But I think we should spend the money. We are going to be acquiring someone who is going to get a lot of at bats, even if he is not designated as a starting player.
    oh right, he is a FA. i was reading his contract as 2018 + the option year. but that option was for 2018.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Super For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (10-10-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    how did neil walker only get a $4M coming off 2.2, 3.6, 2.6, 4.1, 2.4, 2.4, 2.6, 1.9 fWAR years? he had a bad season, but still.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    how did neil walker only get a $4M coming off 2.2, 3.6, 2.6, 4.1, 2.4, 2.4, 2.6, 1.9 fWAR years? he had a bad season, but still.
    market crashed for vet players

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (10-10-2018), Super (10-10-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    market crashed for vet players
    true

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Grienke makes a ton of money. Taking him with our cheap pitching options means they took Tehran and gave us peralta and goldschimt for allard and two 40 fv. Not happening.

I would be down for freeman at 3b and goldy at 1b. Goldy, ff then acuna....good luck

Peralta and descalso would be pretty ideal imo. Lh hitter is a huge need. Descalso and Culberson really helps the bench and depth. If Riley is good then you have comargo too.

Playing the Waiting Game blueagleace1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts
    Just curious... could Goldy play LF? Seems to have little more speed than the typical first baseman. Let me again state, before Enscheff jumps my case, I'm wondering aloud.
    "Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon"

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blueagleace1 For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (10-11-2018), UNCBlue012 (10-11-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    Grienke makes a ton of money. Taking him with our cheap pitching options means they took Tehran and gave us peralta and goldschimt for allard and two 40 fv. Not happening.

I would be down for freeman at 3b and goldy at 1b. Goldy, ff then acuna....good luck

Peralta and descalso would be pretty ideal imo. Lh hitter is a huge need. Descalso and Culberson really helps the bench and depth. If Riley is good then you have comargo too.

Walk me through how taking Greinke means we also get Goldschmidt and Peralta for essentially nothing. I agree it's not happening, but where did that come from?

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    The only way I see us gettting a package of Grienke/Peralta is if AZ took back Julio and Oday, as well as kicked in money for 2020 and 2021. Julio/Oday would offset Grienke's salary to 15.5 in 2019 and we'd need some cash to offset the 20 and 21 seasons.

I'd rather pass. I didn't notice this is Julio's last guaranteed year. Players always seem to have bounce back seasons when they need an option picked up or in a contract year.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Chico For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (10-11-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    I wonder if Julion will spend the off-season working on a cutter. That's what Sanchez did last off-season.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

Chico (10-11-2018), JohnAdcox (10-11-2018), jpx7 (10-11-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    I will take Greinke all day long. Maybe not at 34 million a year for 3 years but if we could offset salaries a bit I would be all over it. If they take Teheran/O'Day thats 20 million right there. Please make it happen.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.