Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Brantley
    Donaldson
    Ottavino
    Holland

Consider trade for relatively cheap primary catcher that can hit or relatively cheap 3rd/4th OF who mashes LHP. Or both.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    DeGrom would be available I’d think.
    You understand what a deGrom trade (within the division, much less to the Braves) would cost, right? That price also would likely go up during the offseason when even more teams would be involved in the bidding.

Re-read what I said - it's not that a trade for an "Ace" like that wouldn't be great, the question is would it be worth it? Would you still be interested if the package needed to get him STARTS with Wright, Riley, and Pache?
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to clvclv For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (10-19-2018)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Oklahomabrave View Post
    If Paxton were available I’d definitely take that gamble. I really hope the Mariners sell in general, because I’d love Haniger.
    Haniger is definitely interesting depending on the cost. I'm not so sure the overpay for Paxton would be worth it given his fragility. By the time the playoffs get here would he even be available to pitch? That's the "one-stop shop" I've been kicking around in my own head as well. If AA actually were going to back up the truck and unload a ton of prospects somewhere, doing so for those two would certainly make some sense, but how far should he go? Haniger would likely cost Wright plus. Are you willing to give up Pache, Anderson, Wentz, and more to get him? Trading for both likely guts the Braves' Top 10 prospects for 3 years of Haniger and 2 years of the fragile Paxton.
    Last edited by clvclv; 10-19-2018 at 06:54 AM.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    526 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Haniger is definitely interesting depending on the cost. I'm not so sure the overpay for Paxton would be worth it given his fragility. By the time the playoffs get here would he even be available to pitch? That's the "one-stop shop" I've been kicking around in my own head as well. If AA actually were going to back up the truck and unload a ton of prospects somewhere, doing so for those two would certainly make some sense, but how far should he go? Haniger would likely cost Wright plus. Are you willing to give up Pache, Anderson, Wentz, and more to get him? Trading for both likely guts the Braves' Top 10 prospects for 3 years of Haniger and 2 years of the fragile Paxton.
    Are the Mariners even rebuilding? I wouldn't think so, they still have a team that can contend.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    You understand what a deGrom trade (within the division, much less to the Braves) would cost, right? That price also would likely go up during the offseason when even more teams would be involved in the bidding.

Re-read what I said - it's not that a trade for an "Ace" like that wouldn't be great, the question is would it be worth it? Would you still be interested if the package needed to get him STARTS with Wright, Riley, and Pache?
    You said one wouldn’t be available so I was giving you a name. If we weren’t so deep in the pitching department yeah I’d pay that for an ace like DeGrom.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBrave View Post
    Are the Mariners even rebuilding? I wouldn't think so, they still have a team that can contend.
    They should. That team had a negative run differential this year.
    "Acuna is getting lucky, just like CJ did when he batted .321 and won a batting title. He is unlikely to get lucky at the MLB level over an extended period of time. He will settle in around .300-.320 just like everyone else, and when he does, he won't be within shouting distance of the 1.000 OPS he is posting in AAA...more like low .700s in 2018." -Enscheff 8/25/17

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    i don't think they can compete
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    They should. That team had a negative run differential this year.
    The question is not whether they should but whether they will. Not all teams bite the bullet when it comes to rebuilding.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

clvclv (10-19-2018), Jaw (10-20-2018), jpx7 (10-20-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Oklahomabrave View Post
    If Paxton were available I’d definitely take that gamble. I really hope the Mariners sell in general, because I’d love Haniger.
    Agreed. I'd be more than happy sending a large package for Paxton and Haniger. That'd be a game-changing addition to the team.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    The question is not whether they should but whether they will. Not all teams bite the bullet when it comes to rebuilding.
    I agree. Was just disagreeing that they have a team that can compete.
    "Acuna is getting lucky, just like CJ did when he batted .321 and won a batting title. He is unlikely to get lucky at the MLB level over an extended period of time. He will settle in around .300-.320 just like everyone else, and when he does, he won't be within shouting distance of the 1.000 OPS he is posting in AAA...more like low .700s in 2018." -Enscheff 8/25/17

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts

Probably Jenkins AND MAdams...right?

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

Hudson2 (10-20-2018)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    You said one wouldn’t be available so I was giving you a name. If we weren’t so deep in the pitching department yeah I’d pay that for an ace like DeGrom.
    I said one wouldn't be available that wouldn't cost an extreme overpay, check again.

Post 34 -

"Not saying there aren't other (possibly better) options, but who do you go get that doesn't require a huge overpay? Bumgarner has his health issues and is only controllable for one more year, Paxton has his health issues, the Mutts aren't trading us one of their guys without getting a monstrous overpay in return. There just aren't many surer things to be that guy that AA could get that's not a relatively fair cost/value option."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    I said one wouldn't be available that wouldn't cost an extreme overpay, check again.

Post 34 -

"Not saying there aren't other (possibly better) options, but who do you go get that doesn't require a huge overpay? Bumgarner has his health issues and is only controllable for one more year, Paxton has his health issues, the Mutts aren't trading us one of their guys without getting a monstrous overpay in return. There just aren't many surer things to be that guy that AA could get that's not a relatively fair cost/value option."
    So we’d probably have to throw Braxton Davidson in on top of Adams and Jenkins?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    I agree. Was just disagreeing that they have a team that can compete.
    They do have a team capable of being competitive, but they are nowhere close to the same level as Houston or Oakland, or New York or Boston. So even if they can be competitive, the path to the playoffs for them is extremely tough, even for a 2nd wild card.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    526 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    They do have a team capable of being competitive, but they are nowhere close to the same level as Houston or Oakland, or New York or Boston. So even if they can be competitive, the path to the playoffs for them is extremely tough, even for a 2nd wild card.
    They won 89 games last year one less than us. Most of their pieces will be back, even if they have some aging players. If every team decided to compete or not based on if they stack up with Boston and Houston, then the AL would only have 4 teams going for it next year.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    They won 89 games last year one less than us. Most of their pieces will be back, even if they have some aging players. If every team decided to compete or not based on if they stack up with Boston and Houston, then the AL would only have 4 teams going for it next year.
    Pythagorean of 77-85 though, suggesting they were likely a good bit lucky. They have an aging core as well.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Not sure I'd make the decision to go for it in their position either, but do they really have much choice?

No one will take Cano, Seager, or King Felix (and give you much without making you eat all their money), and you're going to have to get the fans to swallow awfully hard if you trade away the controllable talents like Paxton, Haniger, Segura, and Diaz you have to move to get lots of high-end talent back.

Not saying they won't do it, but will Seattle fans put up with a deep rebuild, AND wouldn't you think they'd have already replaced DiPoto if they were going to try it? He's not exactly a rebuild-type GM.

Kinda hard to say they couldn't spend a chunk of money this winter and not at least be in the next group that's hanging around in the event any of the expected contenders have injuries (or fall on their faces like Washington did this year). I loved the run that Oakland made as much as anyone did, but how many people honestly saw that coming given their lack of starting pitching? I can't recall the first person including them in the postseason conversation until they were well into their hot streak.

I don't disagree that they aren't likely going to pose a threat to the big boys in 2019, but if they splurged a little on one SP (Span's $9 million can be jettisoned, Juan Nicasio's $9 million comes off the books, letting Zach Duke and Adam Warren walk saves another $5-$6 million), they've got a couple pieces in Julio Rodriguez and Braden Bishop that they could probably use to go get another back-end SP. Re-sign Maybin as Span's replacement, and hope Lewis shows some improvement and is healthy enough to replace him sometime after the break.

That ought to be enough to keep them around the same level they were this year (if not make them a bit better).

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    People said the same thing regarding the rangers a few years back when they won the division but allowed more runs than they scores.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    People said the same thing regarding the rangers a few years back when they won the division but allowed more runs than they scores.
    I could say the same thing about the Rangers then - did they have much choice?

It's not always as easy for everyone to make the choice Atlanta did - people actually attend the games in some of those cities.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    526 Posts
    Not sure I'd make the decision to go for it in their position either, but do they really have much choice?

No one will take Cano, Seager, or King Felix (and give you much without making you eat all their money), and you're going to have to get the fans to swallow awfully hard if you trade away the controllable talents like Paxton, Haniger, Segura, and Diaz you have to move to get lots of high-end talent back.

Not saying they won't do it, but will Seattle fans put up with a deep rebuild, AND wouldn't you think they'd have already replaced DiPoto if they were going to try it? He's not exactly a rebuild-type GM.

Kinda hard to say they couldn't spend a chunk of money this winter and not at least be in the next group that's hanging around in the event any of the expected contenders have injuries (or fall on their faces like Washington did this year). I loved the run that Oakland made as much as anyone did, but how many people honestly saw that coming given their lack of starting pitching? I can't recall the first person including them in the postseason conversation until they were well into their hot streak.

I don't disagree that they aren't likely going to pose a threat to the big boys in 2019, but if they splurged a little on one SP (Span's $9 million can be jettisoned, Juan Nicasio's $9 million comes off the books, letting Zach Duke and Adam Warren walk saves another $5-$6 million), they've got a couple pieces in Julio Rodriguez and Braden Bishop that they could probably use to go get another back-end SP. Re-sign Maybin as Span's replacement, and hope Lewis shows some improvement and is healthy enough to replace him sometime after the break.

That ought to be enough to keep them around the same level they were this year (if not make them a bit better).
    The thing with Seattle like you said is, they have players nobody would trade for, but their farm system is also one of the worst. They've made moves in recent years that were win now moves and as a result their system is barren. If they wanted to rebuild, it would be a lengthy one.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to NYCBrave For This Useful Post:

clvclv (10-21-2018)