Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Market for Catchers

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts

Market for Catchers

Teams likely to be looking for a primary (as opposed to backup )catcher: gnats, Dodgers, Angels, Astros, A's, Diamondbacks, Rays

Teams possibly looking: Braves,Brewers, Mets, Phillies, Red Sox, Rockies, Yankees (if they don't think Gary Sanchez can give them the defense they need).

Supply on the FA market: Grandal, Ramos

Supply on the trade market: Reamulto, Cervelli, Perez, Martin, maybe Posey

A lot of teams will find themselves having to get by without a primary catcher. It is not such a bad thing as the Braves have shown to have a strong tandem where there isn't a clear #1 guy.

The best of the "tandem" type guys on the FA market: Suzuki, Maldonado, McCann, Lucroy

Am I overlooking anyone?

Seems to me this is going to be a strong sellers' market.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 10-26-2018 at 02:49 PM.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,675 Posts
    What would McCann cost?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    What would McCann cost?
    my guess is both he and Suzuki would take about 5M

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,487 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    What would McCann cost?
    Love Mac but he would be a downgrade over Suzuki at this point in his career
    Get off my lawn!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanforlife88 For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (10-30-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,675 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    Love Mac but he would be a downgrade over Suzuki at this point in his career
    Probably so. It would be nice to have a l/r combo, but only if Mac rebounded

Gwinnett Bound
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    118 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Teams likely to be looking for a primary (as opposed to backup )catcher: gnats, Dodgers, Angels, Astros, A's, Diamondbacks, Rays

Teams possibly looking: Braves,Brewers, Mets, Phillies, Red Sox, Rockies, Yankees (if they don't think Gary Sanchez can give them the defense they need).

Supply on the FA market: Grandal, Ramos

Supply on the trade market: Reamulto, Cervelli, Perez, Martin, maybe Posey

A lot of teams will find themselves having to get by without a primary catcher. It is not such a bad thing as the Braves have shown to have a strong tandem where there isn't a clear #1 guy.

The best of the "tandem" type guys on the FA market: Suzuki, Maldonado, McCann, Lucroy

Am I overlooking anyone?

Seems to me this is going to be a strong sellers' market.
    I see AA making three moves this off season. 1. A FA signing in the 15 to 20 mil per range. 2. A big trade
    3. A couple of low to moderate cost FA.

Since the team moved before the end of the season to lock up flowers I think the catchers position will be a tandem of flowers and a moderate priced vet.

I definitely see McCann as an option because he is a LHH.

I also see Zuk coming back but can understand why he would test the market.

Outskirts Of Mobile, Alabama. Roll Tide!!!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,775 Posts
    McCann’s good days are behind him. He’d be better suited in the AL where he can DH.
    Chopping With The Braves And Rolling With The Tide

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CrimsonCowboy For This Useful Post:

bravesfanforlife88 (10-26-2018), JohnAdcox (10-30-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    I want Grandal or Realmuto.... the upgrade in the lineup would be massive. Also upgrade the OF and we have a very good team. Sure then let's go ahead and trade for MadBum... why not.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to zbhargrove For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (10-30-2018)

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    Just say NO to Realmuto. His framing skill set is poor at best. A good framer is needed for Newk, Gausman and the others who try to "nibble" when in trouble. A good framer would also help the young guys gain confidence in finding and maintaining a viable strike zone. Of all mentioned, Grandal and Moldanado would be my picks. Which one would be determined by how many $$$ AA can/wants to spend on a catcher to pair with Flowers.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    I want Grandal or Realmuto.... the upgrade in the lineup would be massive. Also upgrade the OF and we have a very good team. Sure then let's go ahead and trade for MadBum... why not.
    I'm still a no on adding pitching. Get Grandal or Realmuto, trade or sign for a good corner outfielder, then use some resources to go out and get a good utility option to extend the bench. Maybe leave enough room to add a decent reliever. Maybe.

With all of our pitching, I think it'd be kind of silly to use resources on adding a top flight pitcher given our needs elsewhere. It would be nice, sure. But I see a starting pitcher as more of a want than a need. Our best bet is to shore up the offense and hope that one or two of our young guys emerge as good starters this season. Then maybe hope another one or two make a successful transition to the bullpen.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanieAntics View Post
    I'm still a no on adding pitching. Get Grandal or Realmuto, trade or sign for a good corner outfielder, then use some resources to go out and get a good utility option to extend the bench. Maybe leave enough room to add a decent reliever. Maybe.

With all of our pitching, I think it'd be kind of silly to use resources on adding a top flight pitcher given our needs elsewhere. It would be nice, sure. But I see a starting pitcher as more of a want than a need. Our best bet is to shore up the offense and hope that one or two of our young guys emerge as good starters this season. Then maybe hope another one or two make a successful transition to the bullpen.
    I'm not big on getting a starter either but MadBum healthy is a different story if the price is right. And I am with you on making all the other needed upgrades first.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    I keep seeing "if Bumgarner is healthy"....what are we looking for here as indications of health

"I am your retribution."

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    I'm not big on getting a starter either but MadBum healthy is a different story if the price is right. And I am with you on making all the other needed upgrades first.
    The problem with Madison is the contract. He is going to cost a ton in prospect capital (I'm thinking 50 million+ in surplus value) for only one year of control. Some might make the argument that he might be more likely to sign an extension with us since he's a country boy from North Carolina, but then we have to ask ourselves if he is worth the big contract it would take to retain him at what would be his age 30 season. Especially given his history with health. Obviously a healthy Madbum would be a gamechanger for the rotation, but that seems like one of those "push all your chips in the middle" moves and I'm not confident enough in our ability to win a World Series (yet) to be making a move like that.

When I say this, I'm only talking about an offseason trade. I don't think an offseason trade would be wise. However, if we are in 1st place or competing for a playoff spot in July and the rotation could use some obvious improvement, I may be more amenable. He would cost less then than he would now, we'd know more about his health, and we'd know more about our own competitive agenda by then. That is why it is important that we save ourselves a little money this offseason for some mid season moves.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,675 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    I keep seeing "if Bumgarner is healthy"....what are we looking for here as indications of health
    He sells his ATV

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to msstate7 For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (10-30-2018), Prikichi (10-28-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    The problem with Madison is the contract. He is going to cost a ton in prospect capital (I'm thinking 50 million+ in surplus value) for only one year of control. Some might make the argument that he might be more likely to sign an extension with us since he's a country boy from North Carolina, but then we have to ask ourselves if he is worth the big contract it would take to retain him at what would be his age 30 season. Especially given his history with health. Obviously a healthy Madbum would be a gamechanger for the rotation, but that seems like one of those "push all your chips in the middle" moves and I'm not confident enough in our ability to win a World Series (yet) to be making a move like that.

When I say this, I'm only talking about an offseason trade. I don't think an offseason trade would be wise. However, if we are in 1st place or competing for a playoff spot in July and the rotation could use some obvious improvement, I may be more amenable. He would cost less then than he would now, we'd know more about his health, and we'd know more about our own competitive agenda by then. That is why it is important that we save ourselves a little money this offseason for some mid season moves.
    Actually think we're pretty much on the same page. That's why I said if the price is right.

Creepy Lurking Stalker
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Is there any way, anyway at all that Grandal doesn't receive a Q.O?

<1%??????

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BravesCountry1 View Post
    Is there any way, anyway at all that Grandal doesn't receive a Q.O?

<1%??????
    Grandal is easily the best catcher on the market, despite his bad postseason and easily gets a QO and wont accept.

Likely gets 4/70/ or 5/85+ or so in that ballpark.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts

I'm not sure that Bumgarner would be cheaper at the deadline. if you are excited about acquiring him, it's because he's had a big, healthy first half and you are likely bidding against every contender on the market in need of pitching.

Granted, a similar situation might emerge if he became available before free agency really got going. Yankees, Nats, Phillies, Cubs, Brewers would all have to be interested.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    696 Posts
    The multiple reports from Bowman on the Braves' focus on Realmuto has me real nervous. You have to think the acquisition cost will be very high (Bowman mentioned a Soroka and Riley package was discussed in July). His pitch framing numbers the past view years have been consistently poor, so he doesn't figure to be someone you invest heavily in if you're a believer in PF value as a franchise. I'd feel more comfortable shopping the middle tier of the FA or trade market and investing trade chips (lesser ones) in other areas where we may be able to get better value.

Gwinnett Bound
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    118 Posts
    Is there any correlation between the quality of a pitching staff and pitch framing metrics?