Page 11 of 74 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast

Thread: DOB: Braves offseason about to get a lot busier. - Gamel released.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    The depth we have at starting pitching allows us to gamble on a high upside guy like Josh Johnson. We have good fallback options if he gets hurt again.

Awaiting a Promotion
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    28 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    Not by much.

As ncaspi said, we just need Minor or Julio, ideally both to develop into that ace.

They could but I still think Wren is going to get 2 SP's. He has the means to do it.

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    Wren is making bold moves by letting RJ go, more than likely low balling Hudson, and letting make Mac walk. I could see him making a big deal for an impact player.
    Reed Johnson is a bench player.

Everyone knew Mac would be gone, he'll get too big of a contract that we can afford.

Huddy would suck if he left but we have some rotation depth, i could see him dip into the FA market for a SP.

I doubt we do anything major.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by skidlee View Post
    They could but I still think Wren is going to get 2 SP's. He has the means to do it.
    Would it be worth getting someone like Kyle Lohse in addition to Josh Johnson. I'm not sure Lohse would be an improvement over any of Minor, Medlen, Teheran, Beachy and Wood.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Unless Medlen is traded to bolster the system, i dont see it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    If Huddy does walk then Wren has a ton of money to spend.

Awaiting a Promotion
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    28 Posts
    Wren is going to get 1 SP one way or the other. No way can Beachy and Wood both start out in this rotation. IMO he looks for 2. 1 via FA and 1 via trade.

Awaiting a Promotion
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    28 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Would it be worth getting someone like Kyle Lohse in addition to Josh Johnson. I'm not sure Lohse would be an improvement over any of Minor, Medlen, Teheran, Beachy and Wood.

He would be an improvement over Beachy and Wood without question.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Wren is going to get 1 SP one way or the other. No way can Beachy and Wood both start out in this rotation. IMO he looks for 2. 1 via FA and 1 via trade.
    I can see 1, we are not getting 2 SP's.

While Beachy and Wood shouldnt be in the rotation, one of them should.

We dont have the room for 2 SP's.

Barring a Medlen trade to bolster the system.

Rotation imo: Minor, Julio, Meds, Wood/Beachy, FA/Huddy.

There isnt room for 2.
    Last edited by Heyward; 11-04-2013 at 08:29 PM.

Awaiting a Promotion
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    28 Posts
    I know he gets brought but I would like to throw Wilson Betemit on the list of additions to the bench.

Awaiting a Promotion
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    28 Posts
    I can see 1, we are not getting 2 SP's.

While Beachy and Wood shouldnt be in the rotation, one of them should.

We dont have the room for 2 SP's.

We have 1 opening now. I would trade Beachy for one if it was an upgrade.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    We have 1 opening now. I would trade Beachy for one if it was an upgrade.
    Beachy was starting to find his rhythm until he had to be shutdown, i'd prefer not too.

If we were to make any against the wall moves, i'd add someone like Mujica or Benoit to bolster the pen a little more.

Outskirts Of Mobile, Alabama. Roll Tide!!!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,814 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    Any short term deal for a pitcher with upside is going to have some gamble in it. Just a fact of the market.
    Lot of truth in that statement, yes. Josh Johnson just seems to have more of a gamble with him. If the Braves were interested, I don't know if I'd do more than a one year deal with an option for a second. Now if Johnson is healthy, then someone is going to get one heck of a pitcher. With that possibility, I could see Atlanta being interested. But, it is a gamble.
    Chopping With The Braves And Rolling With The Tide

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    In what world is Joc Pederson not that great of a prospect. I love me some CB but Joc is way more valueable in terms of a prospect.

Seager is considered an absolute stud and due to the fact that pitching prospects flame out much more than hitters I would say Seager is more valueable than wood.

It doesn't even make sense to bring up Julios name. He isn't getting traded for anyone aside from Trout.
    Joc Pederson is a good prospect. Wasn't trying to denegrate him with that statement. Merely pointing out he is nowhere near an elite level prospect. And let's not even mention the Rays OF is crowded as it is and have

Seagar is in low A but yet he's more valuable than Wood, a young lefty starter who already has major league success??? LMAO, only in thethe world. Seagar isn't even an elite level prospect at this time either..

I'm not the only person who has brought up JT's name in rumors for trading an Ace. Hell there was an article posted this site just a few days ago that mentioned JT as a possible trading piece in exchange for Price/Scherzer. I'm not even saying I should/would make that sort of deal.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    To the bottom, why in the world would we trade Julio unless we're getting Harper or Trout which isnt happening.

Julio is pretty much close to untouchable.

And again, with Mac gone, i dont see the need to trade CB.

A Gattis/CB duo at C is fine, especially since Laird will be gone after next year.

Wood, while good isnt that much better than Pederson or Seager.

While Ryu has a big contract, its not insane like some contracts out there.
    You are missing the point entirely. The point is we CLEARLY have better assets in which to acquire Price than the Didgers do. And yes, regardless of your thoughts on how big Ryu's contract is, there is zero chance the Rays would take him back in a deal for Price unless the Dodgers picked up over 75 % of the contract, which isn't going to happen. The Rays simply don't take on expensive contracts, much less expensive contracts with lots of yrs left on them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts
    I got a message on my phone earlier that said we're not picking up Reed Johnson's option and I am so thankful. That was a very good move on FW's part because there are much better options to be had than Reed Johnson. We should go after Rajai Davis and I think we could sign him for rather cheap as well. Rajai is a player we need to sign and would make us a much better team and would add that threat on the bases. He doesn't hit righties well which makes him a fringy starter but absolutely kills lefties and plays all three OF positions.

Also, I'd like to see FW throw Marmol a contract offer. While Marmol was pretty bad with the Cubs he actually was quite good for the Dodgers and I'd see what the market looks like on him as I'm not sold on Carpenter and Avilan having another season like they had and Walden is also a big question mark as well. So while the bullpen has been damn good with whoever Roger McDowell has adding a guy with a proven track record is something we need to seriously look at. I also wouldn't be opposed to giving LaTroy Hawkins a deal if he wants to play another year. He'll be 41 but he was pretty dominant last year and can still throws the gas.

There may not be a ton of "star" depth in this class but there's a lot of nice pieces that can help you win and become a championship ball club.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    The bench looks pretty terrible right about now. Bad decision, in my opinion, letting Reed go.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalyn View Post
    The bench looks pretty terrible right about now. Bad decision, in my opinion, letting Reed go.

Right now but there's some moves FW is going to make. Reed has been pretty bad since he's played for us with an OPS of about .640 in 200+ AB's. He's 37 and should never of played CF ever. He was going to make 1.6 and we could get a better hitting option for near the same price. As I stated earlier we should give Rajai Davis a call and see if 2 years and 6 mil. would get that done. Also, Delmon Young would be a decent option. I doubt he gets a ton of interest but he had a pretty good year at the plate last year plus he's young and gives us some pop. It was a good move by FW because I feel he's going to sign a 4th OF who is much better than Reed Johnson and is also insurance for BJ which is why I really think we may make a push for Rajai Davis and if we sign Rajai I would be ecstatic.

I will say that Reed was a great PH and there was no doubt about that. PH is hard to do and he has done it as well as just about anyone in the NL the pst three years.
    Last edited by Teheran_49; 11-05-2013 at 04:16 AM.

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    Arent Davis and Delmon Young both RH hitters. If Wren does sign another 4th OF, and I feel he will, Im pretty sure he will be a LH hitter with corner OF pop.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    He would be an improvement over Beachy and Wood without question.
    2013 FIP: Lohse 4.08, Wood 2.65, Beachy 4.08 (career 3.34)

I know Lohse has demonstrated an ability to outpitch his peripherals. But I prefer both Wood and Beachy over him.