Page 27 of 74 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast

Thread: DOB: Braves offseason about to get a lot busier. - Gamel released.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    I do project improvement, but its hard to "bank" on. I would much rather look at any improvement as a bonus that puts us over the top, not something we rely on to get back to where we were last year.

I think any improvement will come from a full year of Heyward, small progression for Freddie, BJ not being last year bad, and Simmons getting a little more consistent. I don't think that will amount to as much as people believe.

And to this point, there might be a lot of luck involved with getting a full season from Heyward so thats optimistic.
    Thats fair but I think Teheran/Minor are better than what they were last year. Those two are close to being aces.
    Natural Immunity Croc

2. The Following User Says Thank You to thethe For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (12-04-2013)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Perfect Cell View Post
    theres a possibiliyy gattis is worse than mac too. Point being right now December 2013 we are worse on paper than we were before the season. Good thing theres still time left till spring training
    The way I look at it is Gattis is replacing Mac and someone (let's say Terdoslavich) is replacing Gattis as our top bench player. I don't expect the first change to have a big effect. But it will be hard for any bench player to be as productive as Gattis was in 2013. So overall we are down on offense from losing Mac. But we might be able to make up some of that at other positions (hello 2B and CF).

With respect to pitching, I think the 2014 versions of Minor, Medlen and Teheran can be expected to be better than 2013 versions. With respect to the other two slots, I would take 2014 Beachy over 2013 Maholm. And I know this one will cause some debate but I would also take 2014 Wood over 2013 Hudson (even abstracting from the ankle injury). So in my view the likelihood is our starting pitching is going to be better in 2014 than 2013.

I'd expect some regression from the pen, simply because most of them performed at the high end of their established norms.

Overall I'd look for 92-95 wins from this team as currently constructed.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 12-04-2013 at 02:20 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    The way I look at it is Gattis is replacing Mac and someone (let's say Terdoslavich) is replacing Gattis as our top bench player. I don't expect the first change to have a big effect. But it will be hard for any bench player to be as productive as Gattis was in 2013. So overall we are down on offense from losing Mac. But we might be able to make that up at other positions (hello 2B and CF).

With respect to pitching, I think the 2014 versions of Minor, Medlen and Teheran can be expected to be better than 2013 versions. With respect to the other two slots, I would take 2014 Beachy over 2013 Maholm. And I know this one will cause some debate but I would also take 2014 Wood over 2013 Hudson (even abstracting from the ankle injury). So in my view the likelihood is our starting pitching is going to be better in 2014 than 2013.
    It may defy common thinking, but I think one of those pitchers probably scuffles a bit in 2014. Just happens that way. But I agree there should be incremental improvement from most.

I forgot CJ regressing just a bit. I have all the respect for Lord Babip in the world for shutting Zeets and his stats down, but I don't see much repeatable (as in Batting title contender good).

I feel like overall, we are worse after losing those two. Our division mates on the other hand, have made some nice moves. The Mets will be better, and the Marlins probably will also. Nats grabbing Fister is a really savvy move. (It would CRUSH my faith in FW to know that Fister was available and FW didn't know). They should hit a bit more in 2014 I would think.
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    It may defy common thinking, but I think one of those pitchers probably scuffles a bit in 2014. Just happens that way. But I agree there should be incremental improvement from most.
    Out of five starting pitchers, it is to be expected that one will get hurt, one will scuffle or have some mysterious regression, and the other three will be close to expectations. In 2013, we had the Hudson injury and Maholm turning into a pumpkin in the second half. Something like that will happen in 2014, but we don't know at this point which ones will get hurt/turn into a pumpkin. Depth will come into play as it always does. At this point Hale and Martin have had some success in AAA and in Hale's case some success in limited major league experience. We'll also have Gilmartin, Thomas, Schlosser and Northcraft in AAA. Graham probably in AA until he shows the shoulder is fine. To me that's more than acceptable depth in the upper minors.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 12-04-2013 at 02:37 PM.

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NinersSBChamps View Post
    It sucks that teams all around baseball are getting better and here the Braves are standing pat. Actually worse with the departures of Hudson and McCann.
    Meh, not like we need to do anything.

Most figured Mac would get a huge deal in the AL, Huddy i thought we would bring back but didnt think anyone would go that big on him.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    I would expect CJ and one of Minor/Teheran (purely by chance) to be worse in 2014. I expect CF and 2B to be better since they can't possibly be any worse. The rest I expect to be better/worse randomly but end up about even.

Overall a bit worse than last year, but still a 90 win team that will be fighting for a WC slot. If Wren fixes 2B, adds a reliable starter, grabs a solid BP arm, and puts some actual hitting talent on the bench it becomes a 95 win team capable of challenging for the division and is a legit WS contender.
    Let's wait and see what FW does.

I'd agree CJ will probably regress by default, he wont hit that good next year but not as big of a regression as some think.

It's basically the same team as last year minus Huddy/Mac.

And they won 96 games despite Heyward missing 1/2 the year, getting nothing from BJ/Uggla.

And had a ton of injuries.

We could anywhere from 90-97 games and challenge for the East depending if a few things break right.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts

I forgot CJ regressing just a bit. I have all the respect for Lord Babip in the world for shutting Zeets and his stats down, but I don't see much repeatable (as in Batting title contender good).

I feel like overall, we are worse after losing those two. Our division mates on the other hand, have made some nice moves. The Mets will be better, and the Marlins probably will also. Nats grabbing Fister is a really savvy move. (It would CRUSH my faith in FW to know that Fister was available and FW didn't know). They should hit a bit more in 2014 I would think.
    Marlins for sure will be better.

Mets not having Harvey for a full year will hurt, but if they add Granderson like some are reporting that would be a good move. An OF of Grandy-Lagares-Young is one of the best in baseball from a defensive prospective.

Nats will be better but their top 3 of Gio/Stras/Zimm pitched as well as any in baseball last year. I agree on Fister but im not sure he was available, for even that price. To their hitting, im not sure outside of maybe LaRoche who can improve from last year. Maybe Harper turns into Mike Trout and has an MVP year, very possible.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Mets will be bad. Remember Marlon Byrd had a very good year for them and they'll be lucky to get as much from their new outfielders.

Marlins will be improved.

Phillies will be older.

But none of those three are going to contend for the division. It will be us and the Gnats. I like our chances slightly more, but we do need more from second and center.

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    Maybe Harper turns into Mike Trout
    Yea, thethe's still waiting on that.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

11. The Following User Says Thank You to jpx7 For This Useful Post:

Heyward (12-04-2013)

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    Shoulda said just have an MVP type season, he's not Trout, no one is to be quite honest.

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    You mentioned earlier that you would like to see an upgrade in CF and after I presented some options you picked Ellsbury. Are there some more realistic options that you would like to bring in to upgrade center.
    Low risk high reward guy I would explore is Grady Sizemore. He's had health concerns, but if he can get back to 100 percent health he's worth a look.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NinersSBChamps View Post
    Low risk high reward guy I would explore is Grady Sizemore. He's had health concerns, but if he can get back to 100 percent health he's worth a look.
    Where is he gonna play on our team?

He would probably take a minor league deal at this point though.
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    It was about to happen last year but injuries derailed his season.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Hi I just met you and I'm weighty. My names sample size use me maybe
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    Hi I just met you and I'm weighty. My names sample size use me maybe
    If you don't want to acknowledge his elite talent then thats fine. Very few players in my lifetime have I seen that have comparable raw talent that Harper has. Trout is right up there as well but I will still continue to believe that Harper will have the better career.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Harper has sick talent. But saying he was well onto his way of having a season like trout based on a month is foolish. Heyward has sick talent but if he rocks in April I won't be saying Hey ward>Trout
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,831 Posts
    It expect this or something similar to be repeated every offseason for the next ten to twenty seasons.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jpx7 For This Useful Post:

Hawk (12-04-2013), Heyward (12-04-2013), zitothebrave (12-04-2013)

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    LOL, Trout put up back to back 9-10+ WAR seasons at 20-21 years old..

But sure, Harper was on his way to putting up that type of season, for sure.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Heyward For This Useful Post:

bravesnumberone (12-04-2013)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    If you don't want to acknowledge his elite talent then thats fine. Very few players in my lifetime have I seen that have comparable raw talent that Harper has. Trout is right up there as well but I will still continue to believe that Harper will have the better career.
    This has to be the single most ludicrous comment I've seen since someone said Kimbrel is more valuable than Profar.

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    211 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    This has to be the single most ludicrous comment I've seen since someone said Kimbrel is more valuable than Profar.
    I'm not saying I wouldn't trade Kimbrel for Profar but how is that ludicrous? What has Profar done at the major league level? Name one tool that he has that's elite?