Page 32 of 74 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast

Thread: DOB: Braves offseason about to get a lot busier. - Gamel released.

Awaiting a Promotion
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts
    EOF was claimed off waivers by the Atlanta Braves from Seattle

Once Lowe was signed there was no need to also sign Kawakami at the time, so the problem was just compounded. I for one was vocal about the timing of extending Uggla, we did it much quicker than we needed to we could have waited at least a year to find out, at which time the .233 batting average and his age would have maybe been cause for a hesitation on the length and amount of any extension. That said yes the Braves tend at times to hold on to people they should have traded when their value was higher. Russ Ortiz, Vasquez, are just a couple of examples as there was no way either would duplicate the highs they had in the years following.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    David O'Brien ‏@ajcbraves 3h
    Wren said #Braves have had plenty of talks w/ agents, teams: "Putting ourselves in position to add pieces we feel like would help us best.”

David O'Brien ‏@ajcbraves 3h
    Wren said starting pitching, bullpen and bench are areas #Braves are considering, but won't look past anything that could help team.
    This plus fixing 2B is what I have been saying Wren needs to acquire for a month now.

Playing the Waiting Game
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    145 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    This plus fixing 2B is what I have been saying Wren needs to acquire for a month now.
    The problem is already fixed with our 2nd best prospect at league minimum for the next three years, team control for 6:

From John Sickels:

2) Tommy La Stella, 2B, Grade B: Borderline B-. What? Why so high? Simple: I get the Matt Carpenter/Allen Craig St. Louis Cardinals type massively underrated prospect vibe with this one, and I swore this year that I won’t get talked out of where my analysis leads me. La Stella can simply hit and his fielding is underrated. My main concern is durability, but if injuries don’t get in the way I think he is going to outperform a lot of guys who get more hype.

I know you will counter that La Stella isn't proven, that he is just a prospect that might not be able to make the jump to the major leagues, or at least won't be good enough to be a starter, and that is a valid argument. But Tommy brings an element to his game, which is a very, very good eye and pitch recognition, that of all qualities, has a very good chance of translating to big league pitching.

The other thing you have to recognize is that we have several very good young core players that are starting to get expensive. We absolutely must have some guys at league minimum in order to stay competitive.
    Last edited by skillet; 12-08-2013 at 11:41 AM.

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    211 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by skillet View Post
    The problem is already fixed with our 2nd best prospect at league minimum for the next three years, team control for 6:

From John Sickels:

2) Tommy La Stella, 2B, Grade B: Borderline B-. What? Why so high? Simple: I get the Matt Carpenter/Allen Craig St. Louis Cardinals type massively underrated prospect vibe with this one, and I swore this year that I won’t get talked out of where my analysis leads me. La Stella can simply hit and his fielding is underrated. My main concern is durability, but if injuries don’t get in the way I think he is going to outperform a lot of guys who get more hype.

I don't want to bring anybody in for 2B. I'm confident in Pastor, Pena short term if La Stella needs a month or so.

Playing the Waiting Game
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    145 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by emk418 View Post
    I don't want to bring anybody in for 2B. I'm confident in Pastor, Pena short term if La Stella needs a month or so.
    Exactly

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    If Wren offerered the Cubs Bethancourt plus any three pitchers in our minor league system not named Sims or Cabrera for Samardzija, would that be a fair deal? Or an overpayment on our part? Or not enough to get the Cubs interested?

If you were the Cubs which three pitchers not named Sims or Cabrera would you take? Keep in mind that players taken in the 2013 draft are not yet eligible to be traded.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 12-08-2013 at 12:37 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Braves are not wasting.their bullets on a second baseman. Not with Lastella just waiting to get called up.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Playing the Waiting Game
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    145 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    If Wren offerered the Cubs Bethancourt plus any three pitchers in our minor league system not named Sims or Cabrera for Samardzija, would that be a fair deal? Or an overpayment on our part? Or not enough to get the Cubs interested?

If you were the Cubs which three pitchers not named Sims or Cabrera would you take? Keep in mind that players taken in the 2013 draft are not yet eligible to be traded.
    Very easy answer...No way should the Braves do that trade.

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by depley View Post
    Russ Ortiz, Vasquez, are just a couple of examples as there was no way either would duplicate the highs they had in the years following.
    Where are these "trade them away when their value is highest" posters coming from?

Nobody knows, for sure, when a player is most valuable to a team. Risk is still involved in any transaction. Many trades take months to complete. Sometimes years. Yes, really. As difficult as it is for the fantasy leaguers and PS4 geeks to grasp, this has very little with how real life GM's actually operate. Intangibles that they look for don't appear on stat sheets or at Fangraphs.

Besides, Ortiz and Vazquez were horrible examples. Ortiz was an innings eater. Ironically, the pitcher he was acquired for WAS actually an example of "maximum value" in Damian Moss. The Vazquez to Yankees deal was good, but who's to say that he wouldn't have duplicated his last season with the Braves if he'd stayed another year? Doubt that they were chomping at the bit to get rid of him, as much as there was a high demand from other clubs.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by emk418 View Post
    This unless we can steal someone really good like a Ben Zobrist. Would you pull the trigger on this deal?

Braves get:
    Ben Zobrist - 2B

Rays get:
    Dan Uggla - 2B (ATL eats 20 mil)
    Tyler Pastornicky - UT
    Christian Bethancourt - C
    Sean Gilmartin - LHP
    Cody Martin - RHP

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    This board obsession with trading Bethancourt really needs to end.

Awaiting a Promotion
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    28 Posts
    Joel Sherman ‏@Joelsherman1 3m

#Yankees interested in Ibanez reunion but have other moves 1st and signs are he'll sign at Winter Meetings Being good guy must matter (cont)

Joel Sherman ‏@Joelsherman1 3m

Because even at 41 has NL teams interested #Rockies #Braves, plus bunch AL clubs including #Mariners #Rangers

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,034 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Knucksie View Post
    This board obsession with trading Bethancourt really needs to end.
    Why? I don't care how well he catches and throws if he can't hit. He had a decent year at Mississippi, but this winter he's been back at his usual .215 in the Dominican. Let somebody else find out he's Henry Blanco not Pudge Rodriguez.

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,034 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post

Yes, I think that'd be fair.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GovClintonTyree View Post
    Why? I don't care how well he catches and throws if he can't hit. He had a decent year at Mississippi, but this winter he's been back at his usual .215 in the Dominican. Let somebody else find out he's Henry Blanco not Pudge Rodriguez.
    So, you already know that he's nothing more than a future major league backup.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    With apologies in advance to Knucksie so he can take his condescension somewhere else; With the winter meetings going in hard tomorrow and Wren being so quiet all winter long to this point and acknowledging that we really dont have that much to offer in the way of trades what would everyone comment on the following:

Chances that any of the following get traded:
    Heyward: If Wren has made another run at extending JHey and he has declined, maybe 30%
    Freeman: No chance at all this year
    J Upton: More than 40% with so many teams looking for corner power and the FA market drying up.
    Kimbrel: No chance. With the plethora of closers, his market would be pretty thin.
    Uggla: Fully expect Uggla to be the opening day starter. Not to sure about him finishing the season in Atlanta. Not much of a trade market.

IMO it is worth noting that none of the above are sure to be in Atlanta when the new stadium opens.

I cant understand why Wren is apparently interested in Logan Morrison and Raul Ibanez. Any one have input.

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    Seriously, if the Yanks add another outfielder I'll have to question their sanity.

It's OVER 5,000! bravesnumberone's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,022 Posts
    Yeah, can anyone tell me when Bethancourt is going to start hitting? If we're going to have a black hole at second and potential (though I think BJ bounces back) black hole in center offensively, we need our catcher to hit.

Playing the Waiting Game
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    145 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PawPawMaxwell View Post
    With apologies in advance to Knucksie so he can take his condescension somewhere else; With the winter meetings going in hard tomorrow and Wren being so quiet all winter long to this point and acknowledging that we really dont have that much to offer in the way of trades what would everyone comment on the following:

Chances that any of the following get traded:
    Heyward: If Wren has made another run at extending JHey and he has declined, maybe 30%
    Freeman: No chance at all this year
    J Upton: More than 40% with so many teams looking for corner power and the FA market drying up.
    Kimbrel: No chance. With the plethora of closers, his market would be pretty thin.
    Uggla: Fully expect Uggla to be the opening day starter. Not to sure about him finishing the season in Atlanta. Not much of a trade market.

IMO it is worth noting that none of the above are sure to be in Atlanta when the new stadium opens.

I cant understand why Wren is apparently interested in Logan Morrison and Raul Ibanez. Any one have input.
    I think the chances of any of the first four guys being traded is next to none. I'd say the chances of Uggla getting traded are maybe 1 in 3.

It's OVER 5,000! bravesnumberone's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,022 Posts
    I would have to be pretty overwhelmed to trade Heyward.