User Tag List

Page 44 of 74 FirstFirst ... 34424344454654 ... LastLast
Results 861 to 880 of 1469

Thread: DOB: Braves offseason about to get a lot busier. - Gamel released.

  1. #861
    if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    8,231
    Thanks
    2,989
    Thanked 2,419 Times in 1,557 Posts
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    Bad news....

    David O'Brien ‏@ajcbraves 3h
    I hear #Braves made inquiries into contract extensions with few of their young standouts past 2 yrs, felt would take big overpay to get done.

    David O'Brien ‏@ajcbraves 3h
    Not to say they've given up, but I get impression that #Braves aren't optimistic about getting extensions done that'r good for both sides.
    i would love for him to define what the Braves think is a "big overpay" to lock up young talent in their prime years

  2. #862
    "What is a clvclv"
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Nebo, NC
    Posts
    6,158
    Thanks
    3,605
    Thanked 1,676 Times in 1,113 Posts
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    David O'Brien of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution reports that the Braves "could be leading suitors" Jeff Samardzija if the Cubs decide to trade him.
    The Braves won't trade No. 1 prospect Lucas Sims, but O'Brien believes the club could put together an appealing package without depleting their minor league system. The Cubs are loaded with position prospects, so moving Samardzija would be one way to infuse some young pitching into their organization. The Cubs haven't ruled out re-signing the 28-year-old, but they'll have plenty of suitors if they decide to deal him.
    Still not sure I wouldn't prefer trying to throw money at Burnett and keep the arms we'd be dealing for Samardzija IF A. J. would take it for a year. Would buy time for Graham to prove healthy and put us in a much stronger position.

    That said, if a package can be put together that lands Samardzija without including Sims, I'm definitely in - we should be able to replace anyone ranked below Sims with our early draft picks without losing any depth. Depth chart would then be awfully impressive...

    1.) Samardzija
    2.) Minor
    3.) Medlen
    4.) Teheran
    5.) Beachy
    6.) Wood
    7.) Graham
    8.) Sims

    Would personally prefer Scott Baker, Jake Westbrook, or Clayton Richard over Hammel if Wren winds up signing a "depth guy" as well - think all 3 have more upside than Hammel.
    Last edited by clvclv; 12-12-2013 at 03:57 PM.
    Waters is intersting too. Would prefer a guy that projects to more power though. (2017 Draft Thread)

    If they don't make additions they can expect the same 3-5 win improvement they saw last year. That makes the Braves a 75-78 win team. (What's the best we could hope for in 2018?)


    The Blackjack Dealer

  3. #863
    Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Heyward's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    15,061
    Thanks
    1,157
    Thanked 1,113 Times in 868 Posts
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Still not sure I wouldn't prefer trying to throw money at Burnett and keep the arms we'd be dealing for Samardzija IF A. J. would take it for a year. Would buy time for Graham to prove healthy and put us in a much stronger position.

    That said, if a package can be put together that lands Samardzija without including Sims, I'm definitely in - we should be able to replace anyone ranked below Sims with our early draft picks without losing any depth. Depth chart would then be awfully impressive...

    1.) Samardzija
    2.) Minor
    3.) Medlen
    4.) Teheran
    5.) Beachy
    6.) Wood
    7.) Graham
    8.) Sims
    I think it may cost Wood.

    But what do you think it would cost?

    CB/Wood, and 2 more?

  4. #864
    Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Heyward's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    15,061
    Thanks
    1,157
    Thanked 1,113 Times in 868 Posts
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by goldfly View Post
    i would love for him to define what the Braves think is a "big overpay" to lock up young talent in their prime years
    I would like to know this too.

    I guess we will never know.

  5. #865
    Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    1,223
    Thanks
    97
    Thanked 349 Times in 211 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    I think it may cost Wood.

    But what do you think it would cost?

    CB/Wood, and 2 more?
    When we can't afford to sign or trade for an ace we need to target guys who have front line stuff that have the potential to become a TOR starter but aren't there yet. I think Samardizja is exactly that. He's got absolutely overwhelming stuff that matches up with any pitcher in baseball. When his command is on, he's impossible to hit. IMO we need to be VERY aggressive in getting him and I'd be willing to pay a hefty price. I would pretty much have Sims, CB (because of need), and Peraza off the table and everyone else available. I would hate to trade Alex Wood but I absolutely would put him in the deal if it's a deal breaker.

    The Cubs are open about the fact that they want young pitching back for Samardzija. But they also have a need for a corner OF. I think Wood, Terdo, plus another good pitching prospect would be the price.
    Last edited by emk418; 12-12-2013 at 04:10 PM.

  6. #866
    Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Heyward's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    15,061
    Thanks
    1,157
    Thanked 1,113 Times in 868 Posts
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by emk418 View Post
    When we can't afford to sign or trade for an ace we need to target guys who have front line stuff that have the potential to become a TOR starter but aren't there yet. I think Samardizja is exactly that. He's got absolutely overwhelming stuff that matches up with any pitcher in baseball. When his command is on, he's impossible to hit. IMO we need to be VERY aggressive in getting him and I'd be willing to pay a hefty price. I would pretty much have Sims, CB (because of need), and Peraza off the table and everyone else available. I would hate to trade Alex Wood but I absolutely would put him in the deal if it's a deal breaker.

    The Cubs are open about the fact that they want young pitching back for Samardzija. But they also have a need for a corner OF. I think Wood, Terdo, plus another good pitching prospect would be the price.
    I'd agree on CB because no one knows how Gattis will be full-time.

    But yeah, i like Wood too but not sure he's a deal-breaker.

    Martin or Northcraft plus Wood/Terdo, maybe throw in Gearrin or Varvaro?

  7. #867
    Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    1,223
    Thanks
    97
    Thanked 349 Times in 211 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    I'd agree on CB because no one knows how Gattis will be full-time.

    But yeah, i like Wood too but not sure he's a deal-breaker.

    Martin or Northcraft plus Wood/Terdo, maybe throw in Gearrin or Varvaro?
    If that's the package I do it in a heartbeat. I think we could be looking at a lower level SP prospect with upside. Or possibly one of Gilmartin/Hale

  8. #868
    Gwinnett Bound
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    636
    Thanks
    38
    Thanked 78 Times in 45 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What is Samardzjia's projected arbitration award.

    If we only get him for 2 years and the Cubs need a corner OFer why not offer JUpton and his 2 years of control. Keep our young pitchers and move them only for a young controllable OFer?

  9. #869
    It's OVER 5,000! Tapate50's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    9,705
    Thanks
    4,094
    Thanked 2,536 Times in 1,575 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Wouldn't want Wood to be included. I think Wood can be a shade less than Samardjia

  10. #870
    Awaiting a Promotion
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Acworth,GA
    Posts
    559
    Thanks
    14
    Thanked 182 Times in 101 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I not a fan of Samardizja, I see him as a 4th starter of the 5 we currently have. Certainly not a front of the rotation guy. He has only pitched 200 innings once and that was not with great results, he has a lifetime losing record and his ERA last year was not very good, also he he pretty bad against left handed bats. Plus his control is iffy. I don't see any reason to trade Wood or anyone else for this guy. Not a move that bolsters anything if it happens.

  11. #871
    Expects Yuge Games nsacpi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    20,800
    Thanks
    1,506
    Thanked 7,386 Times in 4,598 Posts
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Cubs are in rebuilding mode. Their farm system is loaded with talented young position players. But they don't have a catcher of the future and are weak in pitching prospects. They match up incredibly well with us. The trade is there for the making:

    We can get Samardzija by offering them Bethancourt plus any three our minor league pitchers not named Sims or Cabrera.

    The three I suspect they would choose if they had that offer would be Hale, Graham and Simmons.

    I would not include Wood, Sims or Cabrera in any trade for Samardzija.

    This trade would be similar to the Michael Bourn trade. We gave up Schafer, Oberholtzer, Clemens and Abreu in that trade. None of these guys are of the caliber of Bethancourt as a prospect. We would be offering a stronger package for Samardzija.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 12-12-2013 at 05:55 PM.

  12. #872
    Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Heyward's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    15,061
    Thanks
    1,157
    Thanked 1,113 Times in 868 Posts
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PawPawMaxwell View Post
    What is Samardzjia's projected arbitration award.

    If we only get him for 2 years and the Cubs need a corner OFer why not offer JUpton and his 2 years of control. Keep our young pitchers and move them only for a young controllable OFer?

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to Heyward For This Useful Post:

    Knucksie (12-12-2013)

  14. #873
    Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    1,223
    Thanks
    97
    Thanked 349 Times in 211 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    My thoughts exactly

  15. #874
    Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    2,007
    Thanks
    957
    Thanked 430 Times in 304 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Still not sure I wouldn't prefer trying to throw money at Burnett and keep the arms we'd be dealing for Samardzija IF A. J. would take it for a year.
    Didn't Burnett already indicate that it was a return to Pittsburgh or nothing?

  16. #875
    Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    10,480
    Thanks
    4,336
    Thanked 4,302 Times in 2,444 Posts
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'm still iffy on Samardzija. There's no doubt he's possessive of a ton of raw, relatively untapped potential, but if the Braves are going to offer a package like @nsacpi advocates then I'd rather save my pennies for a true ace (whenever he does come along.)

  17. #876
    Expects Yuge Games nsacpi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    20,800
    Thanks
    1,506
    Thanked 7,386 Times in 4,598 Posts
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    I'm still iffy on Samardzija. There's no doubt he's possessive of a ton of raw, relatively untapped potential, but if the Braves are going to offer a package like @nsacpi advocates then I'd rather save my pennies for a true ace (whenever he does come along.)
    I don't think we match up well with Rays. Not nearly as well as we do with the Cubs. Unlike the Cubs, the Rays have a fairly strong group of pitching prospects. I would see the Rays as more interested in position players, which happens to be a relative weakness in our farm system.

  18. #877
    Gwinnett Bound
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    636
    Thanks
    38
    Thanked 78 Times in 45 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by emk418 View Post
    My thoughts exactly
    You looked at the projected starting lineup? Dont you think we might need to find a LH hitting position player somewhere instead of the proposed trading of Heyward, one of the only two LH hitters in the lineup.

  19. #878
    Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

    Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Individual-1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    School of Hard Cox
    Posts
    16,804
    Thanks
    6,576
    Thanked 6,499 Times in 3,712 Posts
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PawPawMaxwell View Post
    You looked at the projected starting lineup? Dont you think we might need to find a LH hitting position player somewhere instead of the proposed trading of Heyward, one of the only two LH hitters in the lineup.
    Remember when we were lefty heavy? Now we don't have enough lefties lol
    Forever Fredi


  20. #879
    "What is a clvclv"
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Nebo, NC
    Posts
    6,158
    Thanks
    3,605
    Thanked 1,676 Times in 1,113 Posts
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Knucksie View Post
    Didn't Burnett already indicate that it was a return to Pittsburgh or nothing?
    He said that before the playoffs. Hasn't announced his intentions publicly since then...apparently still on the fence, but Pittsburgh seems to have moved on.
    Waters is intersting too. Would prefer a guy that projects to more power though. (2017 Draft Thread)

    If they don't make additions they can expect the same 3-5 win improvement they saw last year. That makes the Braves a 75-78 win team. (What's the best we could hope for in 2018?)


    The Blackjack Dealer

  21. #880
    Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    1,223
    Thanks
    97
    Thanked 349 Times in 211 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PawPawMaxwell View Post
    You looked at the projected starting lineup? Dont you think we might need to find a LH hitting position player somewhere instead of the proposed trading of Heyward, one of the only two LH hitters in the lineup.
    It's really not a concern of mine having just 2 lefty hitters in my lineup. It's a bigger deal if we have too many lefties but I like it this way. Plus La Stella should be in the lineup relatively quickly as another lefty. But again I don't see that as a concern at all.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •