Page 59 of 74 FirstFirst ... 949575859606169 ... LastLast
Results 1,161 to 1,180 of 1469

Thread: DOB: Braves offseason about to get a lot busier. - Gamel released.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalyn View Post
    It is unreasonable for someone who was worse than BJ and Uggla in the second half and has a history of sucking (especially when the team has better options).
    1M is reasonable even if he regresses to the extent most of the projection systems have him doing. That's what players slightly above replacement level get paid in today's game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay212033 View Post
    Smh it's clear these players don't want to be here and it may have something to do with Fredi.
    The guys who settled got above what was projected. I think Freeman and Kimbrel, and their representatives are betraying a shaky grasp of how the system works. The failure to bridge the small gap with Heyward is more of a headscratcher. Seems like both parties got too stubborn there at the end. The Heyward asked and offered numbers are both within the range of what is reasonable.

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay212033 View Post
    Smh it's clear these players don't want to be here and it may have something to do with Fredi.
    I doubt it really has anything to do with Fredi. Heyward reportedly turned down an extension that would surely have paid him more than the arbitration figures, Freeman seems to want to go back to West Coast, and Kimbrel has definitely been superior to Rivera, Papelbon and Soriano, he simply wants to be paid.
    I will not be surprised if at least 2 of them are traded before start of season.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    1M is reasonable even if he regresses to the extent most of the projection systems have him doing. That's what players slightly above replacement level get paid in today's game.
    Why pay him that when the team has better cheaper options? I would much rather pay someone like Todd Cunningham the minimum to do the same job.

Playing the Waiting Game
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    145 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    The guys who settled got above what was projected. I think Freeman and Kimbrel, and their representatives are betraying a shaky grasp of how the system works. The failure to bridge the small gap with Heyward is more of a headscratcher. Seems like both parties got too stubborn there at the end. The Heyward asked and offered numbers are both within the range of what is reasonable.
    I think the point with Heyward is that the $5.2M offered is already a good bit higher than what was projected, yet it still wasn't good enough for Jason. Wren has stated that he went well above what was recommended for all the guys, yet it still wasn't good enough for Kimbrel, Freeman and Heyward. I think the Braves will probably win all three of the cases, but we will lose all three soon as it seems apparent they don't want to be here long term.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PawPawMaxwell View Post
    I doubt it really has anything to do with Fredi.
    We know Freeman and Kimbrel had issues with Fredi last year. I wouldn't discount the possibility so quickly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    Did anyone watch Hot Stove this morning? According to Darling, Casey and someone else I cont recall, there are no long term winners in arbitration hearings.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalyn View Post
    We know Freeman and Kimbrel had issues with Fredi last year. I wouldn't discount the possibility so quickly.
    This and so did Heyward when he was returning from his Appy surgery.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Heyward thinks he is better than he really is......if he wants to go then bye..

Quote Originally Posted by skillet View Post
    I think the point with Heyward is that the $5.2M offered is already a good bit higher than what was projected, yet it still wasn't good enough for Jason. Wren has stated that he went well above what was recommended for all the guys, yet it still wasn't good enough for Kimbrel, Freeman and Heyward. I think the Braves will probably win all three of the cases, but we will lose all three soon as it seems apparent they don't want to be here long term.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to benchguy For This Useful Post:

Bdawg2309 (01-17-2014)

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    Did anyone watch Hot Stove this morning? According to Darling, Casey and someone else I cont recall, there are no long term winners in arbitration hearings.
    It isn't cause if the player wins the team feels slighted and if the team wins the player feels slighted lose/lose

Called Up to the Major Leagues Gary82's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    375 Posts
    I have no problem with players trying to get as much money as they can in their negotiations. I'd do the same. I would cry big old crocodile tears if what I'd ask for was too much for Liberty ****ing Media.
    Last edited by Gary82; 01-17-2014 at 08:09 PM.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    NO LONG-TERM WINNERS...period.

Heyward loses his case the second you point out that he's asking for Freeman money and mention his injury concerns.

Fussing over $300K when that's the case??? Frenchy/Mac all over again.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    I will not be surprised if at least 2 of them are traded before start of season.
    want to bet on this?

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    NO LONG-TERM WINNERS...period.

Heyward loses his case the second you point out that he's asking for Freeman money and mention his injury concerns.

Fussing over $300K when that's the case??? Frenchy/Mac all over again.
    He's not really asking for Freeman money though. Heyward is in his 2nd arby year and Freeman in his first.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by benchguy View Post
    Heyward thinks he is better than he really is......if he wants to go then bye..
    Really? He's been a 5 WAR player per 162 games in his career even with his ****ty 2011 campaign. That's damn good and certainly worth what's he's asking for in his 2nd year or arby. The only legit thing you can say about him is injuries and the time he missed in 2013 were freak issues.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by goldfly View Post
    want to bet on this?
    Kinda silly to bet but we can argue cant we? At least disagree.

Braves have a history of downplaying and paying closers other than Smoltz.

Do you not recall the 2011 off season when Wren was on record of implying to the press that Heyward might not be in their long term plans?

I have never heard about any tension between Fredi and Freddie but others on here have. I do know who will win that argument if there is one.

It is reason to think when you consider that Wrens two biggest signings this winter so far were Gamel and Doumit. Do I need to tell you which positions they play?

Then there is the stadium issue, you know, that new one that has to be paid for.

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    So what are the odds that Heyward isn't signed soon? Freddie and Kimbrel are far apart. But 300K for Heyward and the Braves? What are the odds they don't just split the difference?
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    The comments I have read on Bowman and Shultz would indicate that neither team seems interested in a compromise.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    So what are the odds that Heyward isn't signed soon? Freddie and Kimbrel are far apart. But 300K for Heyward and the Braves? What are the odds they don't just split the difference?
    The Braves are apparently a strict file and trial team now so now more negotiating. Seems silly though.

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    The Braves are apparently a strict file and trial team now so now more negotiating. Seems silly though.
    300K is a silly amount to fight over. 150K more from the Braves won't hurt them. And they Braves may lose.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg