Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: DOB: Braves offseason about to get a lot busier. - Gamel released.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts

DOB: Braves offseason about to get a lot busier. - Gamel released.

http://www.ajc.com/weblogs/atlanta-b...ut-get-busier/

- Doesnt think we offer much more than the QO to Mac, i agree. Or at most 5-75 which someone would top.

- Payroll to jump to at least 100 million but thats not a lot, better than nothing though.
    Last edited by Heyward; 02-18-2014 at 05:55 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Heyward For This Useful Post:

Teheran_49 (10-30-2013)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts
    Good article. I hope we get Freeman to sign a long term deal as he's definitely our future but I don't see Heyward signing one. For some reason I get the feeling that Heyward will want to test the free-agent waters. Should be an interesting off-season to say the least.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Agree on Freeman, not sure how much it would cost, but i'd give both of them 10-year deals now.

6/90, more?

Not sure what Simmons would cost either, but wouldnt hurt to try to sign him either.

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    211 Posts
    Good article. Not sure what to do with our young pitchers like Minor, Medlen, Kimbrel but I think Freeman and Simmons need to be the first two locked up.

As for 2B. I would love to go into ST letting La Stella, Pastor, and Pena battle it out at 2B. I think we have very good internal options there and La Stella projects to be exactly the type of bat this team needs. Only problem is that we are very very limited to what positions we can upgrade our lineup. It looks like 2B is the only spot we could bring in an impact bat if we choose to.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by emk418 View Post
    Good article. Not sure what to do with our young pitchers like Minor, Medlen, Kimbrel but I think Freeman and Simmons need to be the first two locked up.

As for 2B. I would love to go into ST letting La Stella, Pastor, and Pena battle it out at 2B. I think we have very good internal options there and La Stella projects to be exactly the type of bat this team needs. Only problem is that we are very very limited to what positions we can upgrade our lineup. It looks like 2B is the only spot we could bring in an impact bat if we choose to.
    I agree to a certain extent. Simmons and Freeman will make a great young tandem that will be fun to watch for years and I feel Minor is a guy we need to keep and sign long term. He's still young and about to hit his prime soon and he's always been healthy and is the LHP we've needed since Glavine left(the first time). Medlen is a guy I want to keep and to me is vastly under rated. Medlen has a career ERA of 2.95 in over 500 IP. He's a guy that won't break the bank and if he's your #3 starter then you've got a pretty damn good staff. I say lock him up as well to a 5 year deal.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    561 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Teheran_49 View Post
    Good article. I hope we get Freeman to sign a long term deal as he's definitely our future but I don't see Heyward signing one. For some reason I get the feeling that Heyward will want to test the free-agent waters. Should be an interesting off-season to say the least.
    Be that as it may about Heyward, but he has much to improve on before that time comes. Every year players get greedy during free agency and want to "test the waters" and it backfires miserably.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Heyward and Freeman reached the majors at such a young age that when they reach free agency (after his age 25 season for Heyward and after his age 26 season for Freeman) that a team can give them a long deal without taking in much in the way of declining years. That's one of the reasons those two have to be our top priority. There is also some research that shows that players who reach the majors at an early age ten to also age better on average than those who reach the majors late.

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    118 Posts
    Yeah I wasn't before but now after the great AFL he's had and really believe they will give LaStella every opportunity to win the 2nd base job. I don't have any doubt they will find a way to trade Uggla to open up a spot. I think the bench is set with Laird, Pena, Reed Johnson, Schafer and Elliot Johnson.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tvsportscaster View Post
    Yeah I wasn't before but now after the great AFL he's had and really believe they will give LaStella every opportunity to win the 2nd base job. I don't have any doubt they will find a way to trade Uggla to open up a spot. I think the bench is set with Laird, Pena, Reed Johnson, Schafer and Elliot Johnson.
    Terdo for EJ and agreed.

Not Actually Brian Hunter Metaphysicist's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    878 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post

- Payroll to jump to at least 100 million but thats not a lot, better than nothing though.
    Mmhmm... sure it will. Fool me once...

The Braves’ payroll is likely to rise to about $100 million in 2014, up from approximately $90 million in 2013. That’s right in the middle of the pack of 30 MLB teams. All major league teams will receive about $25 million more annually beginning in 2014 from the new national TV contract
    So lemme get this straight... We supposedly already have a budget ceiling somewhere in the mid90s (even though we didn't spend it all). And now we are going to get a $25 million supplement. Which might get us to $100m? Seems pretty par for the stagnant course to me. We will fall even farther behind when other teams actually spend that money on players.

Oh, and $100m is still less than our payroll was a decade ago.

Whoopdeedoo.

12. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Metaphysicist For This Useful Post:

bravebonebook (11-02-2013), CJC (11-04-2013), CyYoung31 (10-31-2013), DaneHill (10-31-2013), goldfly (11-01-2013), pfiggy (10-31-2013), thethe (12-11-2013)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,508 Posts
    If we offer 5/75, McCann will accept.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,987 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    I have little doubt of that. Wi'll probably only offer like 4/50 or something like that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts
    I honestly don't want Reed Johnson back and if I was FW I would talk to Franklin Gutierez about a 2-3 year deal. He may be looking to start somewhere but I'm sure we could find a way to give him 300 AB's. He's nothing special but he's someone that can play all 3 OF spots and do it really well plus he gives us that pop off the bench that we will lose if Gattis is our C. It may not happen but how great would it be to have a player like that for several reasons such as A)What if BJ doesn't bounce back? B)Injuries, Heyward hasn't played an entire season since joining the ML team and injuries really killed us late in the year.

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Teheran_49 View Post
    I honestly don't want Reed Johnson back and if I was FW I would talk to Franklin Gutierez about a 2-3 year deal. He may be looking to start somewhere but I'm sure we could find a way to give him 300 AB's. He's nothing special but he's someone that can play all 3 OF spots and do it really well plus he gives us that pop off the bench that we will lose if Gattis is our C. It may not happen but how great would it be to have a player like that for several reasons such as A)What if BJ doesn't bounce back? B)Injuries, Heyward hasn't played an entire season since joining the ML team and injuries really killed us late in the year.
    Pretty cold to hold Heyward's injuries against him in 2013. Appendix? Broken face? And did he not return ahead of schedule? The injuries to Pena and Venters concern me much more.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to rico43 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (10-31-2013)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rico43 View Post
    Pretty cold to hold Heyward's injuries against him in 2013. Appendix? Broken face? And did he not return ahead of schedule? The injuries to Pena and Venters concern me much more.

While that may be true it is just facts. When you have played 1 full season out of 4 people are going to question if your injury prone. I mean the same could be said for a ton of Chippers injuries after he reached 30. No doubt we need him out there but can you really feel confident in getting 155 games from Heyward?

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    Which would be a huge mistake. NO room to DH him the final three years, and do we want to force Gattis into platoon and/or trade Bethancourt? Time to let go; we likely got his best.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,508 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rico43 View Post
    Which would be a huge mistake. NO room to DH him the final three years, and do we want to force Gattis into platoon and/or trade Bethancourt? Time to let go; we likely got his best.
    I agree, mostly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Just say no to resigning McCann

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hudson2 For This Useful Post:

Heyward (10-31-2013), thethe (10-31-2013)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    I've heard the Braves will only give McCann the QO to get compensation and with Bethancourt possibly ready by mid year and no later than the start of 2015 it's just not a smart decision. Bethancourt will never be a major thumper like McCann/Gattis but he will be good enough to be a #1 C for us or some other big league team even if the bat doesn't progress as much as we would like.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    Amazing that people actually want to sign him for that money.
    Natural Immunity Croc