Page 44 of 74 FirstFirst ... 34424344454654 ... LastLast

Thread: DOB: Braves offseason about to get a lot busier. - Gamel released.

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    Bad news....

David O'Brien ‏@ajcbraves 3h
    I hear #Braves made inquiries into contract extensions with few of their young standouts past 2 yrs, felt would take big overpay to get done.

David O'Brien ‏@ajcbraves 3h
    Not to say they've given up, but I get impression that #Braves aren't optimistic about getting extensions done that'r good for both sides.
    i would love for him to define what the Braves think is a "big overpay" to lock up young talent in their prime years

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    David O'Brien of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution reports that the Braves "could be leading suitors" Jeff Samardzija if the Cubs decide to trade him.
    The Braves won't trade No. 1 prospect Lucas Sims, but O'Brien believes the club could put together an appealing package without depleting their minor league system. The Cubs are loaded with position prospects, so moving Samardzija would be one way to infuse some young pitching into their organization. The Cubs haven't ruled out re-signing the 28-year-old, but they'll have plenty of suitors if they decide to deal him.
    Still not sure I wouldn't prefer trying to throw money at Burnett and keep the arms we'd be dealing for Samardzija IF A. J. would take it for a year. Would buy time for Graham to prove healthy and put us in a much stronger position.

That said, if a package can be put together that lands Samardzija without including Sims, I'm definitely in - we should be able to replace anyone ranked below Sims with our early draft picks without losing any depth. Depth chart would then be awfully impressive...

1.) Samardzija
    2.) Minor
    3.) Medlen
    4.) Teheran
    5.) Beachy
    6.) Wood
    7.) Graham
    8.) Sims

Would personally prefer Scott Baker, Jake Westbrook, or Clayton Richard over Hammel if Wren winds up signing a "depth guy" as well - think all 3 have more upside than Hammel.
    Last edited by clvclv; 12-12-2013 at 03:57 PM.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Still not sure I wouldn't prefer trying to throw money at Burnett and keep the arms we'd be dealing for Samardzija IF A. J. would take it for a year. Would buy time for Graham to prove healthy and put us in a much stronger position.

That said, if a package can be put together that lands Samardzija without including Sims, I'm definitely in - we should be able to replace anyone ranked below Sims with our early draft picks without losing any depth. Depth chart would then be awfully impressive...

1.) Samardzija
    2.) Minor
    3.) Medlen
    4.) Teheran
    5.) Beachy
    6.) Wood
    7.) Graham
    8.) Sims
    I think it may cost Wood.

But what do you think it would cost?

CB/Wood, and 2 more?

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by goldfly View Post
    i would love for him to define what the Braves think is a "big overpay" to lock up young talent in their prime years
    I would like to know this too.

I guess we will never know.

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    211 Posts
    I think it may cost Wood.

But what do you think it would cost?

CB/Wood, and 2 more?
    When we can't afford to sign or trade for an ace we need to target guys who have front line stuff that have the potential to become a TOR starter but aren't there yet. I think Samardizja is exactly that. He's got absolutely overwhelming stuff that matches up with any pitcher in baseball. When his command is on, he's impossible to hit. IMO we need to be VERY aggressive in getting him and I'd be willing to pay a hefty price. I would pretty much have Sims, CB (because of need), and Peraza off the table and everyone else available. I would hate to trade Alex Wood but I absolutely would put him in the deal if it's a deal breaker.

The Cubs are open about the fact that they want young pitching back for Samardzija. But they also have a need for a corner OF. I think Wood, Terdo, plus another good pitching prospect would be the price.
    Last edited by emk418; 12-12-2013 at 04:10 PM.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by emk418 View Post
    When we can't afford to sign or trade for an ace we need to target guys who have front line stuff that have the potential to become a TOR starter but aren't there yet. I think Samardizja is exactly that. He's got absolutely overwhelming stuff that matches up with any pitcher in baseball. When his command is on, he's impossible to hit. IMO we need to be VERY aggressive in getting him and I'd be willing to pay a hefty price. I would pretty much have Sims, CB (because of need), and Peraza off the table and everyone else available. I would hate to trade Alex Wood but I absolutely would put him in the deal if it's a deal breaker.

The Cubs are open about the fact that they want young pitching back for Samardzija. But they also have a need for a corner OF. I think Wood, Terdo, plus another good pitching prospect would be the price.
    I'd agree on CB because no one knows how Gattis will be full-time.

But yeah, i like Wood too but not sure he's a deal-breaker.

Martin or Northcraft plus Wood/Terdo, maybe throw in Gearrin or Varvaro?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    211 Posts
    I'd agree on CB because no one knows how Gattis will be full-time.

But yeah, i like Wood too but not sure he's a deal-breaker.

Martin or Northcraft plus Wood/Terdo, maybe throw in Gearrin or Varvaro?
    If that's the package I do it in a heartbeat. I think we could be looking at a lower level SP prospect with upside. Or possibly one of Gilmartin/Hale

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    What is Samardzjia's projected arbitration award.

If we only get him for 2 years and the Cubs need a corner OFer why not offer JUpton and his 2 years of control. Keep our young pitchers and move them only for a young controllable OFer?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    Wouldn't want Wood to be included. I think Wood can be a shade less than Samardjia

Awaiting a Promotion
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts
    I not a fan of Samardizja, I see him as a 4th starter of the 5 we currently have. Certainly not a front of the rotation guy. He has only pitched 200 innings once and that was not with great results, he has a lifetime losing record and his ERA last year was not very good, also he he pretty bad against left handed bats. Plus his control is iffy. I don't see any reason to trade Wood or anyone else for this guy. Not a move that bolsters anything if it happens.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    The Cubs are in rebuilding mode. Their farm system is loaded with talented young position players. But they don't have a catcher of the future and are weak in pitching prospects. They match up incredibly well with us. The trade is there for the making:

We can get Samardzija by offering them Bethancourt plus any three our minor league pitchers not named Sims or Cabrera.

The three I suspect they would choose if they had that offer would be Hale, Graham and Simmons.

I would not include Wood, Sims or Cabrera in any trade for Samardzija.

This trade would be similar to the Michael Bourn trade. We gave up Schafer, Oberholtzer, Clemens and Abreu in that trade. None of these guys are of the caliber of Bethancourt as a prospect. We would be offering a stronger package for Samardzija.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 12-12-2013 at 05:55 PM.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PawPawMaxwell View Post
    What is Samardzjia's projected arbitration award.

If we only get him for 2 years and the Cubs need a corner OFer why not offer JUpton and his 2 years of control. Keep our young pitchers and move them only for a young controllable OFer?

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Heyward For This Useful Post:

Knucksie (12-12-2013)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    211 Posts
    My thoughts exactly

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Still not sure I wouldn't prefer trying to throw money at Burnett and keep the arms we'd be dealing for Samardzija IF A. J. would take it for a year.
    Didn't Burnett already indicate that it was a return to Pittsburgh or nothing?

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    I'm still iffy on Samardzija. There's no doubt he's possessive of a ton of raw, relatively untapped potential, but if the Braves are going to offer a package like [MENTION=89]nsacpi[/MENTION] advocates then I'd rather save my pennies for a true ace (whenever he does come along.)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    I'm still iffy on Samardzija. There's no doubt he's possessive of a ton of raw, relatively untapped potential, but if the Braves are going to offer a package like [MENTION=89]nsacpi[/MENTION] advocates then I'd rather save my pennies for a true ace (whenever he does come along.)
    I don't think we match up well with Rays. Not nearly as well as we do with the Cubs. Unlike the Cubs, the Rays have a fairly strong group of pitching prospects. I would see the Rays as more interested in position players, which happens to be a relative weakness in our farm system.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by emk418 View Post
    My thoughts exactly
    You looked at the projected starting lineup? Dont you think we might need to find a LH hitting position player somewhere instead of the proposed trading of Heyward, one of the only two LH hitters in the lineup.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    You looked at the projected starting lineup? Dont you think we might need to find a LH hitting position player somewhere instead of the proposed trading of Heyward, one of the only two LH hitters in the lineup.
    Remember when we were lefty heavy? Now we don't have enough lefties lol
    Forever Fredi

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Knucksie View Post
    Didn't Burnett already indicate that it was a return to Pittsburgh or nothing?
    He said that before the playoffs. Hasn't announced his intentions publicly since then...apparently still on the fence, but Pittsburgh seems to have moved on.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    211 Posts
    It's really not a concern of mine having just 2 lefty hitters in my lineup. It's a bigger deal if we have too many lefties but I like it this way. Plus La Stella should be in the lineup relatively quickly as another lefty. But again I don't see that as a concern at all.