Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is Brantley the new Braves outfielder?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,896 Posts
    I think the argument is likely Cutch vs Brantley. Discuss:
    Ivermectin Man

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,985 Posts
    I'd much rather have Cutch if the price was the same. But something tells me he'll get that extra 4th year that Brantley won't. Nut sure that the Braves will be willing to do that.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    I think the argument is likely Cutch vs Brantley. Discuss:
    I think both fit about the same, and I don't think we talk about Cutch enough as a real possibility. I haven't dug into it much, but they seem like virtually mirror images of the same hitter at this point.

NOTE: this does not mean I think I came up with the Cutch idea...just in case a certain poster with severe reading comprehension problems takes issue with that comment.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    I think both fit about the same, and I don't think we talk about Cutch enough as a real possibility. I haven't dug into it much, but they seem like virtually mirror images of the same hitter at this point.

NOTE: this does not mean I think I came up with the Cutch idea...just in case a certain poster with severe reading comprehension problems takes issue with that comment.
    ALL YOU DO IS COPY FROM FANGRAPHS AND POACH OTHER USER'S IDEAS!!!! WHO GIVES A CRAP ABOUT YOUR FANCY SCHMANCY SOFTWARE ALGAE RHYTHM PROJECTOR THING THAT NOBODY UNDERSTANDS!

RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,492 Posts
    So two days ago, bowman was writing that Brantley was a real possibility and raving about him on an MLB.com podcast. Today, Bowman is writing that Brantley is likely a secondary option for the corner OF.

For that drastic of a shift, I’m guessing someone in the Braves organization corrected him. Also makes me wonder who they’re targeting as a primary option.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CJ9 For This Useful Post:

Jaw (11-10-2018), jpx7 (11-09-2018)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post

And I'm the one with a complex - funny.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,508 Posts
    Think I’d rather have McCutchen since he won’t have to be platooned. Brantley is god awful against LHP.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,536 Posts
    There is some need to achieve righty lefty balance in the lineup which has a some relevance to choosing between Brantley and Cutch. As things currently stand we have 5 righties and switch hitters who are better from the right side, and 2 lefties in the lineup.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

cajunrevenge (11-10-2018), Jaw (11-10-2018), jpx7 (11-10-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,730 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    Think I’d rather have McCutchen since he won’t have to be platooned. Brantley is god awful against LHP.

Put up a .320 OBP vs lefties the last 2 years. OPS wise yes he is terrible but gets on base about 1 out 3 tries vs lefties which is not great but no turrible. He should still be platooned but he isnt Melvining it up out there vs lefties.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    I'm not sure if we are going to have a similar situation as last year, where there are some talented players still without teams late into the season like Moustakas. If there are, I wonder if one of Pollock, McCutchen, or Brantley could be one of those guys. I think we need to get our catcher relatively early, since there is a pretty decent dropoff once you get past Ramos. Unless we want to roll with a defense first guy like Maldonado. But maybe it might be worth it to let the OF market simmer a little bit before we make any big moves, assuming that we plan on addressing corner outfield through free agency (which I hope we DON'T do). But if we do, maybe we could end up getting better value than we think.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to BeanieAntics For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (11-10-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    I really like McCutchen, so Cutch me. It would make the team even that more likeable.
    thank you weso1!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to weso1 For This Useful Post:

Oklahomahawk (11-10-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,536 Posts
    Career splits data:

Markakis .725 OPS against lefties .808 against righties

Brantley .702 against lefties .818 against righties

Duvall .760 against lefties .739 against righties
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (11-10-2018), jpx7 (11-10-2018)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    Put up a .320 OBP vs lefties the last 2 years. OPS wise yes he is terrible but gets on base about 1 out 3 tries vs lefties which is not great but no turrible. He should still be platooned but he isnt Melvining it up out there vs lefties.
    Hope that verb finds its way into the next Oxford English Dictionary. I think McCutchen is a safer bet than Brantley and brings a bit more consistent power to the table, which we need. Curious to see if there's a significant market difference between the two in the coming months.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanieAntics View Post
    I'm not sure if we are going to have a similar situation as last year, where there are some talented players still without teams late into the season like Moustakas. If there are, I wonder if one of Pollock, McCutchen, or Brantley could be one of those guys. I think we need to get our catcher relatively early, since there is a pretty decent dropoff once you get past Ramos. Unless we want to roll with a defense first guy like Maldonado. But maybe it might be worth it to let the OF market simmer a little bit before we make any big moves, assuming that we plan on addressing corner outfield through free agency (which I hope we DON'T do). But if we do, maybe we could end up getting better value than we think.
    Risky for sure. Upside is a 2-3 win cOF at a bargain. Downside is missing out on the few above average players available and not imroving the team.

If I’m the Braves I solve C/cOF then wait to bargain shop for the BP and bench.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,896 Posts
    The OF market likely holds on Harper and to some extent Machado as teams will likely want to see where they go first. Really could hinge on how long Boras and his players want to sit on offers.
    Ivermectin Man

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    The markets for Harper/Machado and everyone else are hopefully so disconnected that those guys won’t hold up everything else.

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    Wow is that what this once proud franchise has come to now? An oft injured player and a guy who is nowhere near the player he was a few years ago has people here going nuts over them.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NinersSBChamps View Post
    Wow is that what this once proud franchise has come to now? An oft injured player and a guy who is nowhere near the player he was a few years ago has people here going nuts over them.
    Who here is going nuts over Brantley? At best I would characterize it as reluctant optimism if we sign him lol

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,701 Posts
    Who here is going nuts over Brantley? At best I would characterize it as reluctant optimism if we sign him lol
    I'm going nuts. My pants are off.

Ok, maybe not, but I'd like Brantley

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to msstate7 For This Useful Post:

NinersSBChamps (11-11-2018), Tapate50 (11-11-2018)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts

27. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

Tapate50 (11-11-2018)