Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Updated Farm Rankings + Updated Prospect Valuation Charts (Fangraphs)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    yeah, i don't think newcomb has a lot of value league-wide.

That's the part of being a GM we really can't simulate. We don't actually know how much value guys carry.

I would think there would be skepticism about Newcomb league wide, which makes him the more likely candidate to hold and see if he can replicate his first half. But maybe he's beloved.

I just tend to think that if there is a guy that a fanbase and front office seems willing to deal that the rest of the league isn't clueless as to why.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    That's the part of being a GM we really can't simulate. We don't actually know how much value guys carry.

I would think there would be skepticism about Newcomb league wide, which makes him the more likely candidate to hold and see if he can replicate his first half. But maybe he's beloved.

I just tend to think that if there is a guy that a fanbase and front office seems willing to deal that the rest of the league isn't clueless as to why.
    Ehhhh, usually I think we can get pretty close to what the general consensus on a player is league wide, value-wise. Sometimes you can get a really young player like Newcomb who may have a wide range of projections that screw with the SV formula, but I would say that is the exception and not the rule. The SV formula is almost always pretty close to what actually ends up happening.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post

I'm in the camp that thinks there is a fair amount of difference of opinion among the front offices.

If we offered a choice of two of Newk, Anderson, Wright, Touki and Wilson to other major league teams, there wouldn't be a strong consensus in who they chose. Even if you threw out the teams that are rebuilding and don't care about 2019.

So I would offer a choice of any two of those five to the Mariners for Paxton.

And same offer to the Indians for Carrasco or Bauer.

I think we would have a good chance of striking a deal on that basis. And I think Newcomb would be one of the players chosen by the other team.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts
    Newk is in that gray area where it’s hard to value him. No longer a prospect, but not enough track record to predict with any sense of accuracy. The good news for the Braves is that “stuff guys” tend to hold their trade value as other teams continue to dream “what if?”.

I see Newk as a 1-2 win guy who is likely to end up taking the Oliver Perez route to the BP going forward, but some other team may think they can “fix” him and make him a 2-3 win SP with upside for even more. That team would be the team I’d be searching for if I’m AA. If the Indians are that team, and Newk is the centerpiece of a Kluber/Carrasco trade, then it becomes a bit of a no-brainer to make that deal as far as I’m concerned.

As usual, whether or not a trade makes sense all depends on the value given up.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-12-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts
    Same thing with Allard. Find the team who still sees him as a potential 4/5 and Cash him in

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-12-2018), UNCBlue012 (11-12-2018)

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Dont think Newk has a ton of value, especially for a guy like Carrasco or Kluber.

I'd think they want one of our top pitching prospects, one of Riley or Pache, and a lesser pitching prospect as a starting point.