Thread: When, who, how???

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts

When, who, how???

will the Braves get into the the fray of off season deals??

7 players were offered QO and only 1 accepted(Ryu of the Dodgers). 2 of those rejecting QO (Pollock and Grandal) have been discussed in deapth on this Board and carry a draft pick loss if signed.

Of all the remaining declared FAs, 1 has retired and 10 have signed contracts(2 to MiL deals). All of the contracts are for 1 year except Escobar and Snakes 3/21mil. The largest $$ for 1 year is 8 mil(Kang and Pirates).

The off season has developed very slowly. When is it going to break?? When do the Braves make their 1st deal?? Who is involved and how is that deal made( FA signing or trade)?? If it is a trade, who does AA give up??

Names and contract info from MLBTR FA Tracker
    Last edited by salmagundy; 11-14-2018 at 05:50 PM.

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Probably Winter Meetings. My guess is Braves trade for Realmuto and everyone hates it, who is involved im not sure, but thats my guess at our first move trade/FA signing.

My best guess is it would cost one of Wright/Soroka/Anderson/Touki, Riley, and a lesser name.
    Last edited by Heyward; 11-14-2018 at 05:50 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    In terms of timing, you have to look at which needs are most pressing (and likely to cost the most) and also positional scarcity. Are there areas of need where we have a safe fallback option. We can be patient in those areas. I think we have fallback options at catcher (Suzuki and McCann) and in the starting rotation (minor depth and also Anibal). I think there are a plethora of options for the bullpen. Ditto for backup infielder.

In light of the above, I would guess corner outfielder gets addressed first. Although there too, there is a fallback option in Markakis.

By the end of the Winter Meetings, I expect one of Peralta, Brantley or Markakis to have been acquired.

Next, I think we will make an effort to get a catcher because there is a bit of a gap between Grandal/Realmuto/Ramos and the fallback options.

Everything else I expect AA to be patient and opportunistic on.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 11-14-2018 at 06:09 PM.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    In terms of catching options, does anyone think we could make an enticing enough offer to try to get Austin Hedges away from San Diego? He is an elite pitch framer and I think there is still some untapped potential in his bat. He's also under team control for 5 more seasons (which probably makes this trade unlikely). If we could pull off a trade where he is valued as a 1-1.5 win catcher do you guys think something like that might be worth it?

I'd really like the potential upside of a deal like this, but the same reasons why I may like it are probably the same reasons why San Diego won't be inclined to trade him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    I’ll say Realmuto is the first shoe to drop for us and it’ll be within the next 3 weeks. Then Cutch and Brantley will be the 2 outfielders that he looks at signing and one of those will happen at the WM.

Spring Training Invitee TheRunningAgent's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    I’ll say Realmuto is the first shoe to drop for us and it’ll be within the next 3 weeks. Then Cutch and Brantley will be the 2 outfielders that he looks at signing and one of those will happen at the WM.
    What if we did that, signed both Brantley and Cutch and then included Ender in a deal to get Kluber?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    The more I think about it, the more I think the Braves will sign a FA for C (Grandal/Ramos) and cOF (Cutch/Brantley)...but they will also make a significant trade.

And that trade will be for Paxton. He fits the "impact starter that has to be nursed through the regular season so he's ready to dominate in the playoffs" role the Dodgers seem to be so fond of and execute so well with guys like Ryu, Hill and Kershaw. Carrying a SP like that requires an organization to be deep with pitching talent, which is describes the Braves perfectly.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    265 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    The more I think about it, the more I think the Braves will sign a FA for C (Grandal/Ramos) and cOF (Cutch/Brantley)...but they will also make a significant trade.

And that trade will be for Paxton. He fits the "impact starter that has to be nursed through the regular season so he's ready to dominate in the playoffs" role the Dodgers seem to be so fond of and execute so well with guys like Ryu, Hill and Kershaw. Carrying a SP like that requires an organization to be deep with pitching talent, which is describes the Braves perfectly.
    I agree, like you mention I see Paxton or potentially Bumgarner falling in this category. Carrasco and especially Kluber will have prohibitive acquisition costs. I think C is by far the most likely position filled via FA. Still think an OF could possibly be acquired through trade with those two being the back ups.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Oklahomabrave View Post
    I agree, like you mention I see Paxton or potentially Bumgarner falling in this category. Carrasco and especially Kluber will have prohibitive acquisition costs. I think C is by far the most likely position filled via FA. Still think an OF could possibly be acquired through trade with those two being the back ups.
    The Giants have to move him right? He’s too old to go they a rebuild.

What does Posey have left in the tank?

I think Kluber will just be too much, but Paxton could possibly be a perfect fit.