Thread: Twins hire college pitching coach

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,675 Posts

Twins hire college pitching coach

Wes Johnson from Arkansas. He also had stints at Dallas baptist and my school, miss state. The guy has been very successful at every stop, but I hold a grudge (could very well be unwarranted)...

During his stint here at state, we had an epidemic of TJs (5-7, can't remember exactly). Wes uses a lot of weighted ball training to increase velocity. He didn't have TJ issues at DBU or Arkansas. Do you guys know much about weighted ball training? Is this common in mlb? Are the twins a smart origination analytically?
    Swanson sucks

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Wes Johnson from Arkansas. He also had stints at Dallas baptist and my school, miss state. The guy has been very successful at every stop, but I hold a grudge (could very well be unwarranted)...

During his stint here at state, we had an epidemic of TJs (5-7, can't remember exactly). Wes uses a lot of weighted ball training to increase velocity. He didn't have TJ issues at DBU or Arkansas. Do you guys know much about weighted ball training? Is this common in mlb? Are the twins a smart origination analytically?
    Your grudge is unwarranted. Wes got a chance to come home (with a nice pay raise). He probably wouldn't have left State for any other college program. Believe me, today I get the disappointment.

Wes is big into analytics, with a focus on release points and spin rates (I know you realize all this as you follow MSU closely...stating it for others who read the thread). I think this is a sign that they are trying to get off of Enscheff's dumb franchise list.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post

(1) Former Braves' reliever Tom House used to market a set of baseballs--one heavier than regulation, one lighter than regulation--and a throwing program to go along with them. House also had his students throw footballs, so it's not like he wasn't afraid to think outside the box.

(2) Twins have not been heavy into analytics until the hiring of Falvey and Levine.

High School Draftee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Many organizations are using weighted ball programs. Look up Driveline Baseball. The Indians are the main organization that is big on weighted ball training. The Braves are often looked at as behind when it comes to training pitchers (long toss etc.). Heard that they are coming along in that department. Driveline has taken over in many top notch college programs and MLB Organizations.

Gwinnett Bound
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    118 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DirkPiggler View Post
    Your grudge is unwarranted. Wes got a chance to come home (with a nice pay raise). He probably wouldn't have left State for any other college program. Believe me, today I get the disappointment.

Wes is big into analytics, with a focus on release points and spin rates (I know you realize all this as you follow MSU closely...stating it for others who read the thread). I think this is a sign that they are trying to get off of Enscheff's dumb franchise list.
    I don’t think this hire will get the Twins off the dumb franchise list. Hiring a college guy is the equivalent of promoting your young low A pitching coach. No offence to my fellow Mississippians who posted but the Twins FO appears to be like all the homer Ole Miss and State fans that will go to Trustmark park to watch the Bulldogs and Rebels play and think they just saw the best game ever. These same fans won’t go to a AA M Braves game because they believe that the college teams have better talent.
    It’s hard to believe that an MLB team doesn’t understand that the college and pro games are played differently.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,675 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JxnMissFan View Post
    I don’t think this hire will get the Twins off the dumb franchise list. Hiring a college guy is the equivalent of promoting your young low A pitching coach. No offence to my fellow Mississippians who posted but the Twins FO appears to be like all the homer Ole Miss and State fans that will go to Trustmark park to watch the Bulldogs and Rebels play and think they just saw the best game ever. These same fans won’t go to a AA M Braves game because they believe that the college teams have better talent.
    It’s hard to believe that an MLB team doesn’t understand that the college and pro games are played differently.
    It's ridiculous to think ole miss has better talent than the M-Braves. Now sure, State does, but not OM

Lol

I go watch the M-Braves a lot