Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Protecting for the Rule 5 Draft

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,477 Posts

Protecting for the Rule 5 Draft

By Tuesday, AA and company have to decide about protecting players from the Rule 5 Draft. MLB.com wrote an article about it, highlighting prospects in every team's rankings that have to be protected. Here are the ones in our top 30 that need to be protected or would be exposed to the draft.

20. Huascar Ynoa, RHP
    21. Patrick Weigel, RHP
    22. Travis Demeritte, OF
    27. Alex Jackson, C
    28. Josh Graham, RHP
    29. Jacob Webb, RHP

2. The Following User Says Thank You to CJ9 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-16-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    I think Weigel should/will be protected.
    I could see Graham and/or Webb protected as well.
    The rest I think won't be.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Super For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-16-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,477 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    I think Weigel should/will be protected.
    I could see Graham and/or Webb protected as well.
    The rest I think won't be.
    I was thinking Weigel and Webb for sure, but I'm not sure why Webb wasn't called up late last year since AA knew he'd need to be placed on the 40-man this offseason anyway. That makes me think he might not get protected.

Ynoa could be an interesting one for a rebuilding team to pick and then stick him in the bullpen for the year.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to CJ9 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-16-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,477 Posts
    Webb in the Dominican this fall: 2-0, 4 SV, 0.90 ERA, 10 IP, 1 R, 14 SO, 2 BB. That after a great 2018 at AA/AAA. I'd give him a spot on the 40-man.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CJ9 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-16-2018), Super (11-16-2018)

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    93 Posts
    Ynoa would get picked. Gotta protect him.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by atl717 View Post
    Ynoa would get picked. Gotta protect him.
    and do what with him all year? a contending team doesn’t really have a spot for a guy like that on the 40-man. i’m also not positive he’ll be picked anyway
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    and do what with him all year? a contending team doesn’t really have a spot for a guy like that on the 40-man. i’m also not positive he’ll be picked anyway
    I'm not making a direct comparison, but Johan Santana was at a similar spot in his career when he was grabbed in the Rule 5 in the 1990s. If someone likes him enough, they'd just stick Ynoa in the back of the bullpen and have him pitch non-serious innings.
    Last edited by 50PoundHead; 11-16-2018 at 08:59 PM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

clvclv (11-17-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    I disagree. A contending team can stash one player on a 40 man without it hurting. Ynoa would certainly get picked. I'd protect him. He's been a slow developer but his stuff is wicked and he's maturing. He will be a good pitcher one day.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to zbhargrove For This Useful Post:

clvclv (11-17-2018)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    I disagree. A contending team can stash one player on a 40 man without it hurting. Ynoa would certainly get picked. I'd protect him. He's been a slow developer but his stuff is wicked and he's maturing. He will be a good pitcher one day.
    But would they stick him on the 25 man roster. Because that is the rule.
    Coppy

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    But would they stick him on the 25 man roster. Because that is the rule.
    I believe he was saying the Braves could not afford to stash him on the 40 man roster if they wanted to contend, which doesn’t make a ton of sense to me.

I think they could but not sure they have to or that it’s a big deal either way.

I’m inclined to want to keep him around because he’s on a different time table.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    I believe he was saying the Braves could not afford to stash him on the 40 man roster if they wanted to contend, which doesn’t make a ton of sense to me.

I think they could but not sure they have to or that it’s a big deal either way.

I’m inclined to want to keep him around because he’s on a different time table.
    He might have been saying that now that I read it again. But I don’t think a team is going to put him on their 25 man roster. I would risk exposing him. Initially Weigel is the only one worth locking down. But maybe Webb needs to as well. I am Webb ignorant.
    Coppy

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    He might have been saying that now that I read it again. But I don’t think a team is going to put him on their 25 man roster. I would risk exposing him. Initially Weigel is the only one worth locking down. But maybe Webb needs to as well. I am Webb ignorant.
    I’m sure weigel would be claimed.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Weigel is the obvious "no-brainer", but a lot is going to depend on what AA and company think of several of the folks already on the 40-Man since it's currently at 36. If you assume AT LEAST 3 spots will be filled with acquisitions (corner OF, C, and one RP), you're at 39 and Weigel fills things up. Assuming he's not traded, Riley will take up a spot whenever he's promoted - so you're right back in the position that someone will have to be dropped at that point.

Did they see enough out of Ricardo Sanchez for him to keep his spot? Probably not. You could probably say the same about Wes Parsons - now that Soroka, Touki, Gohara, Wilson, Fried, and Allard have been added, Weigel is back, and Anderson isn't that far away, can you really justify a spot for him? Are they going to cut Luke Jackson and Sam Freeman loose?

Probably impossible to answer at this point until we hear what the decisions on those guys are.

Trading for Raffy Lopez probably signals they're not going to protect A-Jax UNLESS some of those Pitchers are removed from the roster.
    Last edited by clvclv; 11-17-2018 at 12:09 PM.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Weigel is the obvious "no-brainer", but a lot is going to depend on what AA and company think of several of the folks already on the 40-Man since it's currently at 36. If you assume AT LEAST 3 spots will be filled with acquisitions (corner OF, C, and one RP), you're at 39 and Weigel fills things up. Assuming he's not traded, Riley will take up a spot whenever he's promoted - so you're right back in the position that someone will have to be dropped at that point.

Did they see enough out of Ricardo Sanchez for him to keep his spot? Probably not. You could probably say the same about Wes Parsons - now that Soroka, Touki, Gohara, Wilson, Fried, and Allard have been added, Weigel is back, and Anderson isn't that far away, can you really justify a spot for him? Are they going to cut Luke Jackson and Sam Freeman loose?

Probably impossible to answer at this point until we hear what the decisions on those guys are.

Trading for Raffy Lopez probably signals they're not going to protect A-Jax UNLESS some of those Pitchers are removed from the roster.
    I think Luke Jackson and Wes Parsons are dropped from the 40-man and Ricardo Sanchez is on the bubble. I wouldn't be shocked if Rio Ruiz was also dropped (although I wouldn't do that). This little conundrum is why I thought bringing up Bryse Wilson and Kyle Wright to pitch 7 and 6 innings respectively wasn't the best idea. I think the other thing to remember is that if we acquire either or both a cOF and C through trades, it is likely that guys currently on the 40-man roster will be included in those deals. This process is just about getting through the Rule 5 relatively unscathed.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

clvclv (11-17-2018)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    I think Luke Jackson and Wes Parsons are dropped from the 40-man and Ricardo Sanchez is on the bubble. I wouldn't be shocked if Rio Ruiz was also dropped (although I wouldn't do that). This little conundrum is why I thought bringing up Bryse Wilson and Kyle Wright to pitch 7 and 6 innings respectively wasn't the best idea. I think the other thing to remember is that if we acquire either or both a cOF and C through trades, it is likely that guys currently on the 40-man roster will be included in those deals. This process is just about getting through the Rule 5 relatively unscathed.
    Same lines as I was thinking.

I don't think anyone picks up Jackson or Parsons if you want them back, and probably the same goes for Sanchez at this point. Unless AA has a trade to be completed prior to the deadline, my preference would be to cut Freeman, Jackson, Parsons, and Sanchez loose while adding Weigel, Ynoa, and Webb (all of whom I think would get poached if you leave them available). That leaves you the extra spot for Riley's promotion if no trades come to fruition.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    I could see someone claiming parsons

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    93 Posts
    The Orioles will be terrible. They would roster Ynoa.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to atl717 For This Useful Post:

clvclv (11-17-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    I could see the Orioles claiming a bucket of warm spit

27. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

clvclv (11-17-2018)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    I could see someone claiming parsons
    But would the Braves care? Parsons is what he is - AAAA rotation depth in case of injuries, and if there are no trades made before Tuesday we don't even have room for him in Gwinnett's rotation with Soroka, Gohara, Wright, Fried, Wilson, Allard, and Weigel needing to pitch every 5 days (plus Anderson possibly pushing his way there later in 2019).

Parsons is what Wisler and Sims were for the Braves a couple years ago - someone you'd call up and stick in the rotation if 2 or 3 starters on the big club get hurt. If someone picks him up, so be it - Ynoa has more upside and is worth giving a longer look, especially if you know you're not going to need to rely on him at any point this year. Ynoa is probably better use of that spot long-term since we've got tons of arms that are as good as/better than Parsons.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    i’m not worried about ynoa. he’s “our guy” so we think he’s more special than he actually is.