Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Protecting for the Rule 5 Draft

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    i’m not worried about ynoa. he’s “our guy” so we think he’s more special than he actually is.
    No doubt - but he still has a chance to turn into something more than Parsons at this point. Unless they plan on turning Wes into a reliever, he's more-or-less just in the way.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Just to make it clear, I'm not necessarily advocating the protection of Ynoa on the 40-man. I'm just saying it's not beyond the possibility that he would be selected by someone in the Rule 5.

Of the guys in the OP, I think Weigel is the only one that has to be protected and I think it would almost be a certainty that someone would select him in the Rule 5. I don't any of the others are that likely. Webb has some eye-popping K numbers, but his walk rate is pretty shaky.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

clvclv (11-17-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    With guys like Ynao, there is also a risk if you add them to the 40 man too soon they will burn through the 3 options before they are ready. I'd wait a year on him.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

5. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (11-17-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    Just to make it clear, I'm not necessarily advocating the protection of Ynoa on the 40-man. I'm just saying it's not beyond the possibility that he would be selected by someone in the Rule 5.

Of the guys in the OP, I think Weigel is the only one that has to be protected and I think it would almost be a certainty that someone would select him in the Rule 5. I don't any of the others are that likely. Webb has some eye-popping K numbers, but his walk rate is pretty shaky.
    i definitely think it’s possible he’s taken. i wouldn’t cry over him tho. i doubt his value has increased a ton since we traded an aging rental for him.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    No doubt - but he still has a chance to turn into something more than Parsons at this point. Unless they plan on turning Wes into a reliever, he's more-or-less just in the way.
    i would be all for ynoa over parsons. but i’m ok without either of them
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Super For This Useful Post:

clvclv (11-17-2018)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    With guys like Ynao, there is also a risk if you add them to the 40 man too soon they will burn through the 3 options before they are ready. I'd wait a year on him.
    True as well. He's on the cusp of where--AA--I like them to be when the 40-man decision is made.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Don’t see why.

Braves don’t have to call him up.

It’d take him three years to run out of options even if they did.

Somewhat questionable whether he’s good enough to worry about it.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Another "no doubt" - but the game you're playing here is who are you interested in protecting that someone else might claim???

Are you really interested in hanging onto a guy like Parsons who won't be called upon until you need someone not named Folty, Gausman, Newcomb, Teheran, Toussaint, Gohara, Soroka, Fried, Wilson, Allard, Wright?

There's an almost ZERO chance Parsons pitches in Atlanta or Gwinnett's rotations this season - is he really worth tying up a roster spot for?
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Not too worried about the rule 5 right now since I think a trade will occur before then clearing up the picture. I do, however, think Ynoa needs to be protected over several closer but less talented individuals.

A bad team might/should grab him as the last man in their pen for a year, then send him back to the minors for further development after a year. Obviously a contending team couldn't do this but a bad team could/should.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    BA's take FWIW...

Atlanta Braves
    Current 40-man roster number: 36

The Braves already added RHP Touki Toussaint during the season. RHP Huascar Ynoa has not pitched above high Class A, but he has good enough stuff that a rebuilding team could take a chance stashing him in their bullpen. RHP Patrick Weigel is working back from Tommy John surgery, but he was a promising enough prospect pre-surgery that it would be risky to leave him unprotected. C Alex Jackson is a tougher decision. He has power potential and some promise behind the plate, but he's struggled to hit and still needs a lot of work defensively, making him a tough player to carry on a major league roster all season. RHP Josh Graham has shown some flashes of promise as a reliever.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stor...-rule-5-draft/

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,492 Posts
    Bowman article: https://atmlb.com/2PHj0WQ

Says Weigel and Webb are likely protected. Ynoa and demertitte unlikely, Graham and Jackson maybes.

Most interestingly, he suggest Vizcaino could be DFAed.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    I thought about Viz being non-tendered, but it’s unclear how they’d spend that money better. High level set up men don’t come cheaper.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Southcack77 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-20-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Demeritte was not selected when left unprotected last year. So, there's little reason to be concerned about losing a player who has shown why the Rangers were willing to trade him in return for Lucas Harrell and Dario Alvarez.

that's just cold
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

18. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-20-2018)

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    I've now seen the "Non tender Viz" narrative multiple times... The idea of letting Viz walk for nothing seems crazy to me. I can't imagine a scenario where some team with a different financial outlook wouldn't be willing to trade for him (assuming we are dead set on shedding his money). I just don't see any reason to non-tender Vizcaino.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BeanieAntics For This Useful Post:

clvclv (11-20-2018), jpx7 (11-20-2018)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanieAntics View Post
    I've now seen the "Non tender Viz" narrative multiple times... The idea of letting Viz walk for nothing seems crazy to me. I can't imagine a scenario where some team with a different financial outlook wouldn't be willing to trade for him (assuming we are dead set on shedding his money). I just don't see any reason to non-tender Vizcaino.
    No doubt. Makes perfect sense if you let him walk following this season, but given the projections many of the non-lockdown Closer free-agents (Allen/Soria/Robertson/Miller/Herrera/Ottavino) are expected to get this winter, Viz is a relative bargain - he's looking at making $500,000 less than FanGraphs expects Holland to get on the open market following his St. Louis debacle - someone would give you something to not pay those prices.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,896 Posts
    Nontendering Viz only makes any sense if there’s something coming down the pipe like another suspension

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Durability is always going to be a concern with Vizcaino. He has true shut-down stuff when he's healthy and locked in, but he doesn't seem to be able to stay healthy enough to stay sharp over the long run. I'm not advocating a non-tender, but I would understand the logic if it happened.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    Durability is always going to be a concern with Vizcaino. He has true shut-down stuff when he's healthy and locked in, but he doesn't seem to be able to stay healthy enough to stay sharp over the long run. I'm not advocating a non-tender, but I would understand the logic if it happened.

I would not understand the logic unless he has an active injury when the decision is made.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Southcack77 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-20-2018)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    I would not understand the logic unless he has an active injury when the decision is made.
    The question with Vizcaino is going to be whether he can pitch effectively at least three times a week in high leverage situations over the entire season. He hasn't done that yet. I'm not advocating letting him go, but the Braves will likely have to construct an effective "closer by committee" framework if they view him as an integral part of the bullpen. That means they are going to have to spend to get at least one more guy who can pitch in high leverage situations. Then the question becomes, "Do you fork over big bucks to one guy viewed as 'closer' or a lesser guy to spread innings to?"

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    I'm kind of surprised we're still protecting Ricardo Sanchez. He's fallen in to the category of just another guy for me.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Chico For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (11-20-2018)