Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Braves sign Donaldson, 1 yr 23 million deal.

Spring Training Invitee TheRunningAgent's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    At least it’s not like Twitter. Man, there are some dumb proposals there. I just can’t even.....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,676 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    AA also saying Ozzie to occasionally play short
    If this is the case, gotta figure Swanson or Camargo could be traded or culberson out. No reason to let ozzie play SS with culberson, Swanson, and Camargo

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Could AA fill the "holes" while keeping the top 8 prospects plus Contreras?

Wilson and Wentz or Muller for Joc Pederson? Opens a spot in LA for Verdugo. Now that there's a RH thumper behind Freddie (and you've bought the extra time for Riley to take over that role in 2020), a Pederson/Duvall platoon behind Donaldson (and Riley) for the next two years might not be bad at all and would keep the lineup balanced - Acuna, Ozzie, Freddie, Donaldson, Pederson, Mac, Ender, Dansby would be pretty strong against RHPs, and Acuna (CF), Ozzie, Freddie, Donaldson, Camargo (RF), Flowers, Duvall, Dansby could be pretty potent against LHPs.

He's certainly not the Ace everyone dreams of, but if Bumgarner could be had for Fried and Allard he might be worth the gamble for one year considering we'd still have Folty, Newk, Gausman, Touki, Soroka, Gohara, Wright, and Anderson. If he bounces back and pitches better, you could consider using Teheran's money to try to re-sign him in 2020 - if not, he at least buys you one more year of development for your other top arms. One could easily argue that the same thing could be accomplished by simply re-signing Anibal, but come playoff time I'd think Bumgarner would cause more teams a little more uneasiness if he's healthy.

As mentioned so many times AA needs to move some of these arms, but it'd sure be nice to move the lesser ones while upgrading the roster even if it's for a shorter term. By the time Pederson and Duvall can walk, you'll have Pache (and possibly Waters) ready, and you'll still have all the top pitching prospects if/when Bumgarner, Julio, and Gausman walk.

Adding Bumgarner and Pederson ought to leave AA with enough money to add an arm at the back-end as well.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    I think Allard and Fried is too much for one year of Bumgarner. Just my O.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to TheRunningAgent For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-27-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Fried and Allard for Bumgarner...LOL

Before or after AA trades Albies for Dee Gordon?
    Last edited by Enscheff; 11-27-2018 at 06:17 PM.

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRunningAgent View Post
    I'd do that without thinking twice, but i think SFG would want more.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    wtf? What a horrible trade for Atlanta. Fried is king, son.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UNCBlue012 View Post
    wtf? What a horrible trade for Atlanta. Fried is king, son.
    Meh, Fried's expendable imo, just my 2 cents.

Arizona Fall Leaguer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    I think we open the season with Acuna batting leadoff.

Albies is actually the hardest among our hitters to figure out where to bat. He will likely be among our four best hitters, but his OBP sux and he makes way too many unproductive outs. I guess that sums up a #5 hitter, but it seems so weird to have such a tiny fast guy batting 5th.

Arizona Fall Leaguer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    I wonder in the history of baseball, how many times a #5 hitter has led a team in stolen bases? (not that Albies will do that, but you get the idea)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    Oh no....I think SF would jump all over that.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRunningAgent View Post
    It certainly is a bit steep, no question, and you're right - they may be trying to get more, which is why they're fishing now instead of waiting until the deadline.

The reasoning behind that kind of offer is two-fold...

1.) It's more than enough to get him based on the precious value charts.

And more importantly...

2.) It's likely enough of an overpay (with pieces you don't expect to be part of your long-term plan) to convince the Giants to move him NOW rather than waiting until June/July when there may be other suitors.

Always funny to hear certain people scream about how much "value" someone like Max Fried has, and in the same breath admit that the Braves have nowhere to use him. At this point, there's very little chance he's EVER going to be part of the Braves' rotation. That doesn't mean he's "useless" - far from it - but if you're going to make the argument about how "useful" a lesser Pitcher like Freeman is and you're interested in keeping that "useful" guy for an extra million dollars more than it would cost to put Fried in the pen, why not cash in on Fried's "value" by upgrading the big club in another way???

Another reason for this type of deal - you continue to offset the international penalties by offering QOs to Donaldson and Bumgarner, adding two high picks in the 2020 draft - spend those picks on arms that are farther away than guys you're not going to use like Fried and Allard and there's not this huge hole in the pipeline 3-4 years from now.

There's almost NO CHANCE Fried starts or closes a playoff game while he's in Atlanta (and the same can be said for Allard), so why not capitalize on his "value" and trade him for someone who might - especially if you're going to pay Sam Freeman $1.5 million this year while you waste another year of Fried's health in Gwinnett's pen?

Simple difference between thinking you can do everything based on the numbers the computer spits out and knowing you can't - ask Dave Roberts and the Dodgers or anyone ever associated with the Rays how that works out. Of course, they're so busy polishing all their World Series trophies they may not have time to answer.
    Last edited by clvclv; 11-27-2018 at 08:34 PM.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Gwinnett Bound
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    118 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    It certainly is a bit steep, no question, and you're right - they may be trying to get more, which is why they're fishing now instead of waiting until the deadline.

The reasoning behind that kind of offer is two-fold...

1.) It's more than enough to get him based on the precious value charts.

And more importantly...

2.) It's likely enough of an overpay (with pieces you don't expect to be part of your long-term plan) to convince the Giants to move him NOW rather than waiting until June/July when there may be other suitors.

Always funny to hear certain people scream about how much "value" someone like Max Fried has, and in the same breath admit that the Braves have nowhere to use him. At this point, there's very little chance he's EVER going to be part of the Braves' rotation. That doesn't mean he's "useless" - far from it - but if you're going to make the argument about how "useful" a lesser Pitcher like Freeman is and you're interested in keeping that "useful" guy for an extra million dollars more than it would cost to put Fried in the pen, why not cash in on Fried's "value" by upgrading the big club in another way???

Another reason for this type of deal - you continue to offset the international penalties by offering QOs to Donaldson and Bumgarner, adding two high picks in the 2020 draft - spend those picks on arms that are farther away than guys you're not going to use like Fried and Allard and there's not this huge hole in the pipeline 3-4 years from now.

There's almost NO CHANCE Fried starts or closes a playoff game while he's in Atlanta (and the same can be said for Allard), so why not capitalize on his "value" and trade him for someone who might - especially if you're going to pay Sam Freeman $1.5 million this year while you waste another year of Fried's health in Gwinnett's pen?

Simple difference between thinking you can do everything based on the numbers the computer spits out and knowing you can't - ask Dave Roberts and the Dodgers or anyone ever associated with the Rays how that works out. Of course, they're so busy polishing all their World Series trophies they may not have time to answer.
    Are y’all talking about trading allard and fried for The MadBum in SF that single handily pitched SF to WS title? Really??? Have you actually watched allard and fried pitch? Here’s a secret. Neither of those guys is that good and the reason they probably don’t have a future in Atlanta is that they kind of suck. Why would the Giants trade away one thier franchise faces for guys that suck?

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JxnMissFan View Post
    Are y’all talking about trading allard and fried for The MadBum in SF that single handily pitched SF to WS title? Really??? Have you actually watched allard and fried pitch? Here’s a secret. Neither of those guys is that good and the reason they probably don’t have a future in Atlanta is that they kind of suck. Why would the Giants trade away one thier franchise faces for guys that suck?
    Allard does suck and is filled in any trade. Fried pitched really well as a starter this year and has good stuff

Also mad bum right now is not the same pitcher that he was when he won them that title. He also has 1 year left before FA. His price wont be that much.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

clvclv (11-28-2018), jpx7 (11-27-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    I'm not high on Bumgarner these days. FIPs of 3.95 and 3.99 the last two years. Declining K rate, big jump in BB rate this year. Honestly, Anibal Sanchez was better than Bumgarner last season.

Bumgarner isn't an ace anymore. He's probably a little above average with a good risk of getting worse.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to striker42 For This Useful Post:

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    I'm not high on Bumgarner these days. FIPs of 3.95 and 3.99 the last two years. Declining K rate, big jump in BB rate this year. Honestly, Anibal Sanchez was better than Bumgarner last season.

Bumgarner isn't an ace anymore. He's probably a little above average with a good risk of getting worse.
    Im not either, but for Fried/Allard if SFG would accept, and you get a QO with him at seasons end to offset losing them. Not to mention Allard/Fried dont really have a spot long-term with the Braves. Bumgarner might be declining but if you could get him for a package like that, it's worth considering.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Heyward For This Useful Post:

clvclv (11-28-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Y’all Fried downers are the worst. The king will rise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    What I don't get are people who want to trade Newk but aquire Bumgarner. There's a very good chance Newk out pitches Bumgarner next year.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to striker42 For This Useful Post:

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    265 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    What I don't get are people who want to trade Newk but aquire Bumgarner. There's a very good chance Newk out pitches Bumgarner next year.
    I agree with this for sure. Mostly because I’m pretty down on Bumgarner.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Fried and Allard for Bumgarner...LOL

Before or after AA trades Albies for Dee Gordon?
    I'm still trying to figure out why we're trading valuable assets for an OFer with 7.5 career WAR in 4 seasons. I mean he's not terrible, but he isn't someone I'm sending anything resembling a top 10 prospect for. Much less Wilson and Muller.