Page 18 of 21 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Braves sign Donaldson, 1 yr 23 million deal.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    I feel there is a better chance Segura is the better overall player in 2018, however, JD has the talent to be a much better player IF he is healthy
    Anything can happen of course. But if JD plays a full season I am extremely confident he will surpass 4 WAR quite easily.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (01-09-2019)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    I feel there is a better chance Segura is the better overall player in 2018, however, JD has the talent to be a much better player IF he is healthy
    I would take a JD over segura bet.
    Coppy

4. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (01-09-2019)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,487 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Anything can happen of course. But if JD plays a full season I am extremely confident he will surpass 4 WAR quite easily.
    I hope he does post 4+ WAR. Like I said, he had the talent to be much better. I just question his ability to stay healthy
    Get off my lawn!

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    I would take a JD over segura bet.
    Message me with what you want to bet.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NinersSBChamps View Post
    Message me with what you want to bet.
    I would insta-bet if we had a 130 games played minimum for both players. If Donaldson has a healthy season, he's twice the player that Jean Segura is.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Jean Segura says hello.
    ignorance says hi there sir!
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanieAntics View Post
    I would insta-bet if we had a 130 games played minimum for both players. If Donaldson has a healthy season, he's twice the player that Jean Segura is.
    Twice the player in what way? WAR because that is the end all be all statistic?

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    ignorance says hi there sir!
    Homers gonna homer.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    what do you use that you find better
    donaldson was an MVP candidate. segura has never been better than donaldson
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    In almost every measurable way. In what way is Segura better? Your feelings?

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Um yes? I wouldn't say JD is twice the player than Seguara right now (in JDs prime he would be) but WAR is a quick and dirty way to show how valuable a player is on a team. If a player clearly has a higher WAR than another player in a given year then they are clearly the better player. If it's close you can argue what you prefer (defense, offense, batting avg, whatever else) all you want.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    There is an argument that the Phillies moves have drastically improved their defense, which was their biggest weakness.

They've also improved their depth of hitters, I think.

If they were to upgrade their 3B defense they might have plugged their last leaky bolt.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    There is an argument that the Phillies moves have drastically improved their defense, which was their biggest weakness.

If they were to upgrade their 3B defense they might have plugged their last leaky bolt.
    Have they addressed pitching. I still don’t think that staff holds up.
    Coppy

16. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

Super (01-09-2019)

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts

Right now, their offense is pretty good, but it doesn't really scare me at the moment.

2nd C. Hernandez
    SS J. Segura
    1st R. Hoskins
    LF A. Mccutchen
    CF O. Herrera
    RF N. Williams
    3rd M. Franco
    C J. Alfaro

Bench
    A. Altherr
    S. Kingery
    A. Knapp
    R. Quinn

That offense is probably decent, but there really isn't anyone that strikes fear in me. If they add Harper/Machado, then it becomes a little scarier. But right now its not really outstanding offensively or defensively. Similarly, their rotation/bullpen is still just good and not great. Nola is fantastic, but Arrieta is pretty likely to continue a decline and I'm not scared of Velasquez, Pivetta, or Eflin.

The Phillies strike me as a slightly above average team that will stay in contention through July and then fade down the stretch. Especially given the improvements of the Mets/Nationals. I still think they are the 4th best team in the division until they add a Machado/Harper.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to BeanieAntics For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (01-09-2019)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Right now, their offense is pretty good, but it doesn't really scare me at the moment.

2nd C. Hernandez
    SS J. Segura
    1st R. Hoskins
    LF A. Mccutchen
    CF O. Herrera
    RF N. Williams
    3rd M. Franco
    C J. Alfaro

Bench
    A. Altherr
    S. Kingery
    A. Knapp
    R. Quinn

That offense is probably decent, but there really isn't anyone that strikes fear in me. If they add Harper/Machado, then it becomes a little scarier. But right now its not really outstanding offensively or defensively. Similarly, their rotation/bullpen is still just good and not great. Nola is fantastic, but Arrieta is pretty likely to continue a decline and I'm not scared of Velasquez, Pivetta, or Eflin.

The Phillies strike me as a slightly above average team that will stay in contention through July and then fade down the stretch. Especially given the improvements of the Mets/Nationals. I still think they are the 4th best team in the division until they add a Machado/Harper.
    i pretty much agree with this whole thing on the phils. i still think the braves are clearly better and they have a ways to go. they definitely need another OF. herrera was really bad in center last year and is just average with the bat so can't really play a corner. their defense still isn't that good, either. franco starting the year as their 3B would be a major failure by their FO. he's not good at all.

i think they need a lot more pitching depth as their starters won't be as healthy as they were last year. and there's no depth there. they also don't even have a lefty starter at the moment.

bottom line, i think they still have a lot of work to do. but yes, machado or harper would go a long way.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts

2nd C. Hernandez
    SS J. Segura
    1st R. Hoskins
    LF A. Mccutchen
    CF O. Herrera
    RF N. Williams
    3rd M. Franco
    C J. Alfaro

Bench
    A. Altherr
    S. Kingery
    A. Knapp
    R. Quinn

Thing is, no one honestly believes they're through do they? Even if they don't get Harper or Machado, they'll still be in position to use the stupid money to add Pollock, Grandal, Moustakas, and/or Keuchel which would be pretty significant upgrades.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    i pretty much agree with this whole thing on the phils. i still think the braves are clearly better and they have a ways to go. they definitely need another OF. herrera was really bad in center last year and is just average with the bat so can't really play a corner. their defense still isn't that good, either. franco starting the year as their 3B would be a major failure by their FO. he's not good at all.

i think they need a lot more pitching depth as their starters won't be as healthy as they were last year. and there's no depth there. they also don't even have a lefty starter at the moment.

bottom line, i think they still have a lot of work to do. but yes, machado or harper would go a long way.

I just think they've improved themselves quite a bit so far this offseason. They have a ways more to go, but I think there are more moves coming.

If nothing else giving Kingery some of Franco's innings might help them a bunch defensively. I think that is almost certainly something they will do if they don't make a 3B acquisition (which I think they will).

I don't make them the division favorite, but I think it's possible they end up ahead of the Braves.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    I just think they've improved themselves quite a bit so far this offseason. They have a ways more to go, but I think there are more moves coming.

If nothing else giving Kingery some of Franco's innings might help them a bunch defensively. I think that is almost certainly something they will do if they don't make a 3B acquisition (which I think they will).

I don't make them the division favorite, but I think it's possible they end up ahead of the Braves.
    definitely possible. just think right now we’re safely better with a lot more important depth and top-end talent. they have very little of either.

kingery would improve the defense, but would he improve the offense? he was dreadful. williams and altherr both stink. i kind of like quinn.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Machado possibly down to philly or chisox. That would be a major boost.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    Jean Segura says hello.
    Is this a real comment? Last 5 years JD has more fWAR than Harper or Machado even missing almost an entire season... Segura barely sniffs his jock