User Tag List

Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920
Results 381 to 388 of 388

Thread: Braves sign Donaldson, 1 yr 23 million deal.

  1. #381
    Sabermetric Slut
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Your Mom's Basement
    Posts
    13,890
    Thanks
    955
    Thanked 3,913 Times in 2,502 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NinersSBChamps View Post
    I have always valued guys like Segura who have speed and a great contact rate. He isn’t going mash and drive in a ton of runs, but I love those types of players. It’s difficult to quantify which player is better between Segura and Josh D because they bring different things to the table. Segura is a table setter and Josh is the one who clears it. I like my eyes and watching baseball. I know that isn’t preferred anymore which makes me wonder why are games actually played in this day and age of genius fans and statistics which tell us EVERYTHING.
    1) You personal preference on what types of players you enjoy watching is fine. I completely understand the aesthetic to those types of players.

    2) It's not difficult to quantify which player is better between those who have a different style of playing

    3) Games are played because these players still have to actually perform


    The disconnect here is that there is a difference between what some fans enjoy watching and what actually wins baseball games. Contact and speed is pretty and exciting. Sometimes those players don't do **** for you offensively (Juan Pierre) and sometimes they do (Ichiro). Sometimes high strikeout mashers are an absolute black hole (recent Chris Davis seasons) and sometimes they can carry an offense (Adam Dunn most of his career). That's the beauty of advanced stats. They take the aesthetics and your personal feelings out and just give you raw performance. And that performance is what fuels teams to victory.

  2. #382
    Arbitration Eligible
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    3,023
    Thanks
    691
    Thanked 720 Times in 470 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NinersSBChamps View Post
    So to answer. There isnít data driven numbers to support my opinion of Segura being better than Donaldson. So I guess I am wrong. Segura is basically a replacement level player.
    so you've got nothing except the games that you don't even watch. gotcha. you were just so sure i thought you had maybe a decent reason. come to find out, you're also just looking at a statline, but one that isn't as advanced and broken down.

    way to throw in a straw man at the end as well; you're in your prime form.
    "You show your bias against me with your consistently negative reaction to my brazen lies."

  3. #383
    Voted Worst Poster of 2015
    (Co-Winner)
    NinersSBChamps's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    New Prague, MN
    Posts
    12,299
    Thanks
    2,896
    Thanked 1,429 Times in 1,015 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Top 5 are you crazy! Trout, Machado, Yelich, Arenado, the real JD, Betts, Goldschmidt, Jose Ramirez, and Bregman without a doubt are all better. Harper probably is too although I think heís overrated. Heís top 5 in 3B though if thatís what you mean.

  4. #384
    Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    8,245
    Thanks
    21,759
    Thanked 5,020 Times in 2,893 Posts
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NinersSBChamps View Post
    Top 5 are you crazy! Trout, Machado, Yelich, Arenado, the real JD, Betts, Goldschmidt, Jose Ramirez, and Bregman without a doubt are all better. Harper probably is too although I think he’s overrated. He’s top 5 in 3B though if that’s what you mean.
    Before his injury-plagued 2018, he was most certainly top-five in all MLB. JD Martinez doesn’t even play defence (nor, really, does Harper).
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

  5. #385
    Voted Worst Poster of 2015
    (Co-Winner)
    NinersSBChamps's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    New Prague, MN
    Posts
    12,299
    Thanks
    2,896
    Thanked 1,429 Times in 1,015 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    Before his injury-plagued 2018, he was most certainly top-five in all MLB. JD Martinez doesn’t even play defence (nor, really, does Harper).
    Sure, but his premise begins with “when/if” he is healthy and it is a weak argument right off the bat. Literally everything has the if, when, or what attached to it. That’s been the common theme around this board since it was erected.

  6. #386
    10 yr, $185 million Extension zbhargrove's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Bismarck, ND
    Posts
    4,615
    Thanks
    238
    Thanked 953 Times in 638 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NinersSBChamps View Post
    Top 5 are you crazy! Trout, Machado, Yelich, Arenado, the real JD, Betts, Goldschmidt, Jose Ramirez, and Bregman without a doubt are all better. Harper probably is too although I think he’s overrated. He’s top 5 in 3B though if that’s what you mean.
    That's not what I mean... he's been better than all of those you've mentioned in the past 5 years except Trout and possibly Betts

    At the moment Ramirez and Yelich are probably better but they need to do it consistently a couple more years to prove it

    Without a doubt? He is easily on the same level or better as Machado and Bregman.... and he is certainly better than Arenado and Goldschmidt

    Also, I'd certainly take Harper but its shocking how overrated he is.... Machado is overrated as well and I want nothing to do with him
    Last edited by zbhargrove; 01-10-2019 at 01:29 PM.
    Enscheff is the most brilliant baseball mind of our time. No seriously. he's fantastic and really remarkable. You're going to love him. Magnificent. Really great.

  7. #387
    10 yr, $185 million Extension zbhargrove's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Bismarck, ND
    Posts
    4,615
    Thanks
    238
    Thanked 953 Times in 638 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NinersSBChamps View Post
    Sure, but his premise begins with “when/if” he is healthy and it is a weak argument right off the bat. Literally everything has the if, when, or what attached to it. That’s been the common theme around this board since it was erected.
    Its not a premise... he came back finally 100% with Cleveland and played at the exact same caliber as when he was a top 5 player
    Enscheff is the most brilliant baseball mind of our time. No seriously. he's fantastic and really remarkable. You're going to love him. Magnificent. Really great.

  8. #388
    Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    1,805
    Thanks
    37
    Thanked 629 Times in 410 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NinersSBChamps View Post
    Top 5 are you crazy! Trout, Machado, Yelich, Arenado, the real JD, Betts, Goldschmidt, Jose Ramirez, and Bregman without a doubt are all better. Harper probably is too although I think he’s overrated. He’s top 5 in 3B though if that’s what you mean.
    A healthy Josh Donaldson produced 34.3 fWAR in a 5 season span. I know you aren't in to "the analytics", but I don't think you realize how absurdly stupid good that is. That is easily better than any 5 year span of any of the players you listed except Trout. Donaldson was an absolute machine before he was hurt.

    You're wrong about Donaldson. You can argue that maybe he's facing some aging decline or that his injuries may slow him down, but from 2013 to his injury last year Donaldson was arguably the 2nd best player in baseball.

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to BeanieAntics For This Useful Post:

    jpx7 (01-10-2019)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •